• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home birth after induction, epidural, episiotomy and forceps?

Snufkin

Reaction score
Hello!

My first birth didn't go to plan at all...I ended up 2 weeks over due and was induced for post-dates, labour wasn't progressing and I was exhausted, so asked for an epidural, a few hours later still not much progress and my pushing was ineffective so I ended up having a forceps assisted delivery with an episiotomy. Fun fun.

Anyway, I won't be agreeing to an induction again so easily and am hoping for a home birth (though I may change my mind and go to the midwife led unit instead). I've not had my first appointment yet, so I have no idea if my previous experience may be a problem. Does anyone have any positive home birth after induction/forceps stories? I'd really appreciate them.

I'm in the UK.

Thanks! :flower:

I don't know if I'll be any help but I had a ventouse and episiotamy delivery with my first and when I spoke to the midwife at my booking in about a home birth she said the fact that I had ventouse wasn't a problem as you're much less likely to need that sort of intervention 2nd time round.

That is great help, actually! Thanks! My booking in appointment isn't until another 3 weeks, so it's good to know my first experience likely won't jeopardise my future home birth plans! :)

I hope you get your home birth. If you check out homebirth.org they have a list of Q&A and stories from ladies who have had similar experiences

I can't speak from personal experience as my first was a home birth, but as I'm sure you know, the reason you ended up having the epidural, forceps, etc. are likely related to the induction. As you can't be induced at home, you're already eliminating that risk factor simply by choosing to birth at home. Birthing when your baby and your body is ready is completely different to when it probably isn't, even if you're post-dates. So no reason to worry at all. I would maybe recommend doing some hypnotherapy (I found natal hypnotherapy to be excellent) and visualization as the time nears to help you picture how things will go differently this time.

My first was induced, epidural, episiotomy, forceps too! I had my second in the birthing unit, in the pool and all went fine! Just thinking of home birth for our 3rd

Practically speeking as has been said it seems that the birth you had last time was due to the inductions and you won't have an induction at home so no reason to expect it would affect a HB. Some MWs and doctors will always find a reason why you 'can't' have a HB and if you are unfourtunate enough to get one of those they might use it as a reason, but if they didn't have that reason they would probably find another. If that happens you just have to be firm, its still your choice not theirs. It isn't usually too hard to tell when you are being given a real reason or just fobbed off. Probably there will be no issue.

I forgot to update. I had my midwife appointment and she says home birth shouldn't be a problem and that I'll be with the same team of midwives either way. She offered me a tour of the hospital so I can take that into my considerations and she agrees the induction is to be blamed for my "bad" birth, and because I didn't lose a lot of blood (500ml) that still makes me a good candidate for home birth. She also said she'll be doing aromatherapy and acupuncture on me from 37 weeks to "make sure" I won't need an induction (won't be agreeing to one just for going overdue anyway, but hopefully she'll be able to coax baby out before we have to have that discussion)

So, very positive overall!

That's great news, sounds like it went very well.

Hi I'm in the uk too and my first birth was v traumatic with induction on drip, failed epidural, constant monitoring, awful midwife, forceps, retained placenta, pnd.

I planned a home birth for number two. But my waters broke at 35w so I went in and was given the gel for induction. Baby was born with a perfect labour and birth. So much so, that I pine over my birth and I'll love to do it all again.

So I guess I'm just saying to for it with the homebirth! But if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, don't fear the hospital and the birth you think you might get there.

I was totally in control of my labour throughout which was down to my husband being 1000% better this time round (first time he just didn't know what. To do, much like me!). And that I had told the hospital and my consultant and midwife from outset, that regardless of where I laboured I wanted no interventions, no interfering, no examinations. And I got it. I got it all and it was amazing.

Focus on the birth you want rather than the location of that birth. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->