Home birth against advice??

MummyHunter

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my 5th baby, my last 2 were home births and this one was planned for one too - that was until they diagnosed me with gestational diabetes.

Now I don't believe I do have this condition as I was very ill and dehydrated when I took the test (wish I had cancelled and rescheduled now) so I don't believe my results were accurate.
I have been monitoring my sugars for the last 4 days and have no problems with them at all - despite not changing my diet!!
My fasting levels are between 3.9 and 4.2 and 1 hour post meals are between 4.6 and 5.6

I am due to see consultant tomorrow and want to push for my desired home birth as I do not think I am high risk at all and asked to take a repeat GTT but they wouldn't let me.

Has anyone ever gone against consultant advice and had a home birth anyway, what sort of issues did you come up against?

Obviously I will not put my daughters life at risk but I do not believe I am doing anything which would put her at risk.

Thanks x

I'm supposed to be high risk due to a previous PPH and had to see a consultant. Luckily he said it was ok as long as I understood the risks but I was told that even if he said no I could still go ahead but they'd have to keep in my notes that it was against medical advice.

Try to get a scan and a rough idea of the size of baby if you can. I was given a scan at my appointment too. Obviously the size is still only a rough guide but it may influence your decision further one way or another.

Good luck.

Thanks x

I have 4 appointments tomorrow!!

I with dietician, 1 with consultant and 1 with someone else then a scan too.

I just want them to leave me alone :-(

I'd ask to be retested before you accept treatment for something you probably don't have.

I'd ask to be retested before you accept treatment for something you probably don't have.

Thanks x I already have asked for a retest and they refused. Hopefully the records I have kept over the last few days should show them that I have grounds for them to look again x

I was terrified that testing for GD would totally put me out of the running for the birth center birth I planned, but my midwife said even IF I were diagnosed with GD, with proper maintainence, I could still achieve the birth I wanted.
If I were you, I would have another GTT. Not ask for one, but absolutely require one. And since you've had previous home births, I would say that's a big point in your favor.

I dont have an answer to your question, but i really really wanted a home birth, and i am considering when i go into labour, not leaving the house and ringing a midwife to come and assist the birth. But then i dunno...
My consultant refuses to let me home birth, and the midwife said she wont do one because the consultant says no, so if i did birth at home it would be an unplanned one....
And i really dont understand what risks there are. I had under 4 hour labour with my daughter, it takes 30minutes to get from here to the hospital. If i went into labour i dont know if i could make it there. Let alone that.. I have no need for hospital care, i was high risk last time... but tbh i still dont know why, i dont have anything actually wrong with me.
I was group strep b last pregnancy, and was told that this time i still have to have the antibiotics... although i have been retested and dont have group strep b any more... and i DONT want the drip, but aparently i have no choice in the matter even though im clear this time round..
This drip can be done at home by a midwife... but if i go into labour without it being planned they wouldnt have the prescription ready at hand for me.
last pregnancy i had seriously low iron count. this time round i did have but i got it under control and its at a brilliant level. Seens as i cant take iron supplements. I am no longer at risk of bleeding out.
Baby is on the small side but only 28th percentile... my daughter was born at the 36th percentile so its not much difference.... So far i have had a rough and not easy pregnancy like my last, but i still see no reason why i cant home birth. But no one is letting me have the option.
I debate the home birth as i do not have a birthing pool like i wanted and can not afford to get one :( and i insist on trying for the water birth i wanted this time. But even then being down as high risk even though im not... i dont qualify for the birthing pool aparently...

In your case i would refuse medication for something you dont think you have. Im at high risk of getting GD etc... but i havent got it, and refused to even be tested for it this pregnancy. If it came up as me having GD i would protest it and have a retest as i know it would be a false result. Its highly highly highly dangerous to take insulin if you do not have diabetes. It can be fatal! a retest must be done!

Thanks guys xx

I managed to get the consultant to listen to me and have another GTT booked for tomorrow.
Have been testing 4 times daily like they said and even yesterday after Christmas meal etc my levels were still 5.7 so well under the 7.8 which they want for me so hopefully the GTT tomorrow will be able to prove I don't have GD and I can be left to enjoy the end of my pregnancy :)

Well I am very pleased to report that I had my repeat GTT today and got the results back this afternoon............all within normal limits!! I do not have gestational diabetes :)) just need to be signed off by the consultant and then my home birth can go ahead as planned :)))

Way to go, Mama!! It's never a bad thing to stick up for yourself. So glad it worked out the way you wanted it to!!

I dont have an answer to your question, but i really really wanted a home birth, and i am considering when i go into labour, not leaving the house and ringing a midwife to come and assist the birth. But then i dunno...
My consultant refuses to let me home birth, and the midwife said she wont do one because the consultant says no, so if i did birth at home it would be an unplanned one....
And i really dont understand what risks there are. I had under 4 hour labour with my daughter, it takes 30minutes to get from here to the hospital. If i went into labour i dont know if i could make it there. Let alone that.. I have no need for hospital care, i was high risk last time... but tbh i still dont know why, i dont have anything actually wrong with me.
I was group strep b last pregnancy, and was told that this time i still have to have the antibiotics... although i have been retested and dont have group strep b any more... and i DONT want the drip, but aparently i have no choice in the matter even though im clear this time round..
This drip can be done at home by a midwife... but if i go into labour without it being planned they wouldnt have the prescription ready at hand for me.
last pregnancy i had seriously low iron count. this time round i did have but i got it under control and its at a brilliant level. Seens as i cant take iron supplements. I am no longer at risk of bleeding out.
Baby is on the small side but only 28th percentile... my daughter was born at the 36th percentile so its not much difference.... So far i have had a rough and not easy pregnancy like my last, but i still see no reason why i cant home birth. But no one is letting me have the option.
I debate the home birth as i do not have a birthing pool like i wanted and can not afford to get one :( and i insist on trying for the water birth i wanted this time. But even then being down as high risk even though im not... i dont qualify for the birthing pool aparently...

In your case i would refuse medication for something you dont think you have. Im at high risk of getting GD etc... but i havent got it, and refused to even be tested for it this pregnancy. If it came up as me having GD i would protest it and have a retest as i know it would be a false result. Its highly highly highly dangerous to take insulin if you do not have diabetes. It can be fatal! a retest must be done!

did you get your HB? I tested GBS positive 7yrs ago but negative this time. They still dont want me to HB but I am going for it anyway. x

I am so pleased to say my appointment with the consultant yesterday went brilliant.
They have confirmed in my notes I do not have gestational diabetes and baby is growing at a normal rate - estimated weight at 34+3 is 5lbs 6oz :)

She has written in my notes I am signed back to community care and can have the home birth I wanted :))

i tested positive for group b strep this time round but am refusing antiobiotics and having a homebirth. all the doctors want to do is tell me the horror stories etc but i have done my research and feel well informed and have none of the high risk factors. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->