Home birth and anemia

babies7777

Momma and ttc
Reaction score
I have finally decided to go for a home birth after visiting a second hospital and still not feeling comfortable there. At my 26 week appointment i saw a locum midwife who was filling in for the ususl one and i mentioned at the time i was considering home birth. She mentioned something about criteria for home birth and that iron levels had to be perfect in order to proceed with a home birth. I never really thought much of it at the time as my levels were fine at the booking in appointment, however, when i got the results of my 28 week bloods which i didnt receive till 30 weeks!! :growlmad: my hb levels had dropped to 10.4. I have been put on iron tablets now and im just wanting some advice as to whether they can use that as a reason to deny me a home birth? I have an appointment with the new midwife next week as i just changed gps to discuss me wanting a home birth but wanted to know in advance and what rights i have if they try to use that as a reason. Im hoping my levels will improve now im on the iron tablets but just incase.

Thanks for any advice :flower:

Here's something that might be helpful to you:

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/hb.htm

It looks like the concern is just low oxygen levels, but if you are taking iron tablets, hopefully it will correct itself anyway before birth. If not, you can still ask for a home birth. They just might make it a little more difficult for you and you'd have to be prepared to state your case. I'd talk it over with your usual midwife though. Maybe that one was just having a bad day.

I'm a bit late but try and take them. I would have got refuse the birth centre with my first if my iron dropped below 10 but I got it back up. This time I'm having a home birth and iron is low again the midwives encourage me to take the iron pills again to prevent less bleeding during and after labour,less need for hospital transfer, less need for blood product and quicker recovery time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->