home birth and anemia

mumatmadhouse

number 6 on the way!
Reaction score
I would like to hear about any homebirths where anemia was an issue. I have the consultant today and, after speaking to the dr surgery, I am doubtful that he will agree to a birth centre birth due to iron levels. I really don't want to birth at the hospital so that just leaves a home birth. Anyone gone against advice and had a hb anyway? How did it go? Any advice very gratefully received x

Do you know what your actual level is? And are you having any symtoms?

I was anemic but it responded well to taking iron so my levels went up quite quickly. The MW I had was not too worried about it b ut she did say it was low enough to freak some doctors out.

Hi bunny n, my hb is 10 but ferritin has now dropped to 8. Have to collect iron tablets tomorrow from Dr. I am feeling really backed into a corner with this all being so late in the pregnancy. Have mw on Thursday and will discuss with her. Don't really feel like dh is fully on board with it either tbh, which doesn't help. Feeling sorry for myself at the moment. Feel like a lone soul trying to figure it out. I guess all I can do is take the iron and see where my levels get to. Worried about making it to the hospital too as my last one was only about 40mins from 3cm to being born. Overall from start to finish was under 3 hours. We live about 20 miles from the hospital. About 40 mins without any traffic but if it's rush hour that time could easily double! Surely I am at greater risk if I end up birthing on the way than a planned hb?

I had low iron levels when I was pregnant. I responded well to the iron supplement but I did ask what would happen if I didn't, especially as I had a quick first stage with my DS. The midwife told me it would be ok to still have a home birth. It would be more of a risk if I haemmoraged and I would have to have a chat with the supervisor of midwives so they could note down that the risks had been explained.

low birth weight babies are issues which you can consider if they start to affect your pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->