Home birth birthplan?

fuffyburra

Hattie Flower's mummy :)
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had a little look around the internet and found some really useful info, but what are you guys all going to put in yours? In case there's something MASSIVE I've forgotten :dohh: lol

Here's the site I found: https://www.homebirth.org.uk/plan.htm

I dont really have one. Im just gonna take it as it comes but i know sort of what I want. Natural birth, no pain relief if poss, maybe g&a, minimal internals and taking of BP etc, natural 3rd stage with delayed cord clamping.

yeah im just gonna explain to the attending MW's my wishes when they get here ( if i can or DH will if im too far along ) I want peace and as little talking/fussing as possible, minimal internals delayed clamping etc... skin2skin and i want to use a alternative cord tie if possible, the head of my MW team seemed ok with it all but was stressing the " points of concern " ie.. big baby= poss shoulder dystocia, low iron= poss hemorage,
I have to remember to inform them that i dont want the cord cut unless absolutely nessacary and wont be transfering for light mec staining only for thicker meconium and since neither of the boys had Meconium at 11 and 13 days over its not something im worrying about till 42wks anyway

I have no birth plan either all though I have debated a Birth/Labor Wishes list. To remind everyone what is comforting to me ect. :0) But I am the boss so seems unnecessary, my midwife is very hands free unless need be.

Here's mine, if it helps :)

Birth Preferences for XXXXXXXXXXXX

Family:- Husband (XXXX) and children (XXXX) Other attendants:- Mum (XXXX), Doula (XXXX)

In the event of an emergency, if the situation becomes life-threatening for me or our baby, we will yield to any life-saving intervention on the briefest of consultation.

In the strong likelihood that we have the normal birth that we are expecting, please check before performing any procedures. This includes any touching/handling of the baby during and after the birth.

Please help us keep the atmosphere as calm and positive as possible; quiet voices, low lights etc.

I’d prefer to be left on my own, pretty much throughout (except for intermittent checks), other than anyone I have specifically asked to be in the room with me, with complete freedom of movement throughout.

There is a box of supplies under the mirror in the living room (shower curtains, towels, baby things etc.)

Please feel free to take some photographs with my camera if there is time and you want to. Help yourself to tea, coffee, biscuits etc. Thank you for attending us 

Assuming everything is going smoothly, I would like to:
- use my birth pool
- avoid drugs if possible – don’t offer, I will ask if I change my mind.
- keep any monitoring to the barest minimum.
- catch my baby & find out the sex myself. If I am unable to, or do not want to when the time comes, please give [DHNAME] this opportunity.
- have immediate, uninterrupted and undisturbed skin to skin.
- avoid early cord clamping. I’ll say when I’m ready to cut it.
- have a physiological 3rd stage
- be left alone with the baby in the moments after the birth.
- have all routine procedures delayed until at least an hour after delivery
- Please give [DHNAME] the opportunity to cut the cord.
- have my baby touched only by myself, my husband or my mother as much as possible.
- DECLINE Vitamin K. We may re-consider (oral drops) AFTER the baby has been born.

Please note: I will be keeping my placenta.

(^ ^ this is about an A4 page. On the reverse:)
 
In the event of a transfer - preferably I would like to:
- keep my baby with me and breastfeed on demand. If my baby is having some problems, I would like to consider Kangaroo Mother Care and avoid separation from my baby if at all possible.
- to be accompanied by my husband and doula at all times. This includes in the event of a C-section.
- let my older children meet their new sibling as soon as possible.
- exclusively breastfeed – NO BOTTLES or artificial teats and NOTHING but breastmilk.

Approved:____________________________________________________________________________

I also tried out a cool "traffic light" plan:

RED - "No thank you" (eg. lithotomy position, coached pushing, forceps, early cord clamping, seperation of me and baby, artificial teats),
ORANGE LIGHT – “Under certain conditions” (eg. VEs, g&a)
GREEN LIGHT – YES PLEASE! (eg. Birth at home in a calm atmosphere; low lights, quiet voices, Freedom of movement throughout, Labour and/or birth in water if I want to, Physiological 3rd stage, breast crawl.)

:thumbup: thanks everyone! I'd love to be able to just 'go with it' but I know I'm just not that kinda person :dohh: lol plus I'm a bit worried about being slightly more vulnerable or forgetting what it was I wanted, so having it all out there will be good. Also, it's for OH's benefit because he'll be fighting all my causes past a certain point! So he has something to refer to if needed.

Thanks again! x

I don't know if your in uk but Nhs do a birthplan on their choices website which I've adapted to my hb, just need to print it off. Although just realised I've put natural 3rd stage but not put on delayed cord clamping! X

Ive not done one.. I did not make one with my son till I was in labour tbh I just go with the flow if I want drugs I will ask, If I dont want something I will make it known

IMO, when you are in active labour is not a time for considering risks and benefits of all the different options. I think a plan is essential. You don't have to stick to it (and most people wing it at least a LITTLE bit) but it's important even if only for considering all the options and what you think you will prefer beforehand. It's the WRITING it that is important (IMO), not the HAVING it, if that makes sense :)

It's sad, but leaving the motherbaby ALONE immediately after birth is NOT routine. It seems it's rare for anyone to get that unless they've discussed it and written a plan for it, and sometimes not even then. I think of the plan as a way to stack the odds in your favour that you will get that "magical hour" once the baby is born. It's no guarantee, but it's SOMETHING.

I was way too distracted by the time the midwives arrived to tell them things like "I'll be catching my own baby and want to find out the sex myself." That seemed like a minor detail at that moment and a million years away. I was too "in the moment" to be informing the MWs of what I wanted several hours from now. Not long after that, I was in labourland and rational conversation was exceedingly difficult - EVERY OUNCE of me was concentrating on getting through each sensation. Then the moment of birth and the time afterwards is pretty intense and overwhelming, and you're usually pretty tired by then, so it is extremely easy for "little things" to be overlooked and regretted later. If you don't HAVE any "little things" (breast crawl, delayed cord clamping, etc) then maybe you can just completely wing it! To me, that's like winging your wedding day... I know a few people do it, but most have things they want a certain way and are intensely aware that they won't get to do it over.

Here's mine:

R’S BIRTH PREFERENCES​
We are planning a home water birth. Our due-date is 21st October. My birth partner will be my partner C (can be reached on tel no xxxx) Our 2 year old son Tobias is likely to be home during the birth but being cared for by our close friend E (can be reached on tel no xxxx). We have a (friendly) dog who will be kept in another room during the birth & a house cat who will likely stay well out of the way!

1ST Stage
• For pain relief I plan to use a tens machine in early labour, then the birth pool and ENTONOX in established labour
• I have been practicing Natal Hypnotherapy in my pregnancy so would appreciate MINIMAL QUESTIONS/INTERRUPTIONS during labour
• I am happy to have VE’s if necessary but would prefer to keep these to an absolute MINIMUM

2ND Stage
• I PLAN TO GIVE BIRTH IN THE POOL but may change my mind on the day
• I would prefer to find my own rhythm with pushing rather than being coached, unless I am struggling and need guidance
• I wish to have immediate skin-to-skin with baby after the birth

3rd Stage
• MY PARTNER C WANTS TO CUT THE CORD
• I would prefer to have a PHYSIOLOGICAL THIRD STAGE but am happy to take a “wait and see” approach and have a managed third stage if necessary

After the Birth
• We want baby to have IM Vitamin K
• My partner C wants to dress baby for the first time
In Case of Transfer
• I DO NOT WANT PETHIDINE

I got everything i wanted...oh, except my water birth! Because just as we were getting my tens machine off to get in the pool his head was crowning, so i stayed where i was on the sofa :lol: And i didn't get my entonox because it was still on it's way in from the midwife's car...:lol: But apart from THAT i got everything i wanted! :thumbup:

I understand where people are coming from when they say they just want to go with the flow, but having a birth plan or a list of things that are important to you doesn't stop you going with the flow it just gives you a starting point, and imho it sets the right tone for the labour and birth i.e. this is MY birth and this is what I want iyswim?

I didn't have a birth plan with Toby and ended up with a lot of interventions i didn't want. I'm an HCP and an educated person but labour/birth isn't the best time to be asking or answering important questions!

That sounds like a wonderful birth, Rebaby, even without the water and the G&A! :)

IMO, when you are in active labour is not a time for considering risks and benefits of all the different options. I think a plan is essential. You don't have to stick to it (and most people wing it at least a LITTLE bit) but it's important even if only for considering all the options and what you think you will prefer beforehand. It's the WRITING it that is important (IMO), not the HAVING it, if that makes sense :)

It's sad, but leaving the motherbaby ALONE immediately after birth is NOT routine. It seems it's rare for anyone to get that unless they've discussed it and written a plan for it, and sometimes not even then. I think of the plan as a way to stack the odds in your favour that you will get that "magical hour" once the baby is born. It's no guarantee, but it's SOMETHING.

I was way too distracted by the time the midwives arrived to tell them things like "I'll be catching my own baby and want to find out the sex myself." That seemed like a minor detail at that moment and a million years away. I was too "in the moment" to be informing the MWs of what I wanted several hours from now. Not long after that, I was in labourland and rational conversation was exceedingly difficult - EVERY OUNCE of me was concentrating on getting through each sensation. Then the moment of birth and the time afterwards is pretty intense and overwhelming, and you're usually pretty tired by then, so it is extremely easy for "little things" to be overlooked and regretted later. If you don't HAVE any "little things" (breast crawl, delayed cord clamping, etc) then maybe you can just completely wing it! To me, that's like winging your wedding day... I know a few people do it, but most have things they want a certain way and are intensely aware that they won't get to do it over.

Exactly! I'd like to have it written down for the midwife and for OH in case he forgets something or whatever. I know it's not concrete, and it'll almost certainly change, but to have a vague idea of what I want, and SOMETHING to aim for, is important to me. As you say, it's hardly an ideal time to be making decisions when you're tired and concentrating on other things!

Thanks Rebaby, yours sounds great! I've just finished the last few points, I'll post it in a sec x x

Here it is:

Neill and midwives only during labour and after delivery, until I’m comfortable with visitors

In the event of a life threatening emergency – we will yield to any life-saving intervention on the briefest of consultation. In the strong likelihood that we have the normal birth that we are expecting, please check before performing any procedures during labour and after birth

Calm atmosphere, quiet voices, low lights, especially during second stage
Minimal checks and monitoring throughout unless completely necessary or I ask

Freedom of movement. Please encourage me to stay off my back

If baby poorly positioned or labour not progressing well, I would appreciate suggestions re. changes of positions/movements that may help

Neill and I left to it unless we ask otherwise

Don’t offer pain relief, I will ask for it if I want it

Labour and probably birth in pool, depending on how I feel at the time

Examination okay to determine whether or not I’m ready to push

Calm, quiet guidance through pushing if needed

Avoid episiotomy

Immediate skin to skin

Encouraged to breastfeed ASAP, with guidance

Delay cord clamping and cutting until it has stopped pulsating

Neill given opportunity to cut cord

Natural third stage on dry land. Please do not pull on cord under any circumstances, and please do not administer drugs to speed up the process unless there is a real need

We do not wish to keep the placenta, but I would like to see it

Photos okay throughout labour and after birth

Accept Vitamin K injection

In event of transfer to hospital: Keep baby with me at all times, Neill to accompany me at all times, not to be strapped on my back, exclusive breastfeeding, no bottles/formula/other substitute

I copied and pasted bits I agreed with from websites and other birthplans I read and liked. It's just bullet points but it's all there :)

It's a very good one! You've covered all the bases :flower:

Thanks guys :) Reading it back I've realised how bossy I sound haha! Maybe I'll make it sound nicer before I show the midwife :dohh: x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->