Home birth but got to have syntometrine

xxembobxx

Reaction score
I'm under a consultant at the hospital and have been pushing for a home birth. Quite a few of the MW's have expressed concern as this is my 5th pregnancy and the increased risk of bleeding afterwards.
Found out today I have to see the consultant as last baby was 5lbs12. He was the lightest of all my children but he wasn't small. And within being a couple of weeks old he hit the 95th percentile for weight and height and has stayed there.
I thought I was seeing the consultant because I have an arthritic condition but the extra growth scans are obviously to check on the baby.
So we discussed HB and she was quite positive about it. She dismissed previous MW's worries about my having had a retained placenta with my 2nd as the 3rd and 4th labours were fine. And she actually said a HB would be better as my labours are pretty quick.
BUT she stipulated that it would depend on the growth scans being ok and that straight after I would have to have syntometrine. Does anybody know if that is the injection for the placenta and how does that affect delayed cord clamping?

Yes it is the injection for a 'managed third stage' and it carries a HIGHER risk of retained placenta. It can help with bleeding but you can still adopt a wait and see approach. I agreed i would have the injection at my home birth IF I looked like I was losing above average but I didn't so I had a physiological third stage ie the placenta came out unaided. You can still have delayed cord clamping even with syntometrine.

I must stress this however. You don't HAVE to have ANYTHING. They can advise but you can go with what ever you like. That goes for EVERYTHING concerning you and your baby during labour and birth. The only time they can force anything on you is if you are deemed unfit to make a decision for yourself because you have been sectioned under the mental health act! Anyone who hasn't has the right to decline medical ADVICE. Sorry if I seem like I am labouring the point (pun intended :winkwink: ) but this drives me crazy!!

You don't HAVE to do anything. Your body; your call.

you don't have to have anything, personally though I have always had the injection- with my second I delayed things a bit and ended up bleeding really badly, ended up needing 4-5 shots of the syntometrine not just in my thigh but in my hand as well (they put in a canula while I was in labour which I was annoyed with at the time but it served its purpose in the end) I also delayed it by a few minutes this time as well with no ill effects but still opted to have the injection; you have to weigh up what the benefits and risks to you are xx

Thank you for the info. I did think it a bit odd that the consultant thought a home birth would be good for me but then added stipulations!
I've always gone along with what is advised really but this time I really want a home birth with as little intervention as possible, although I will keep an open mind on what needs to be done at the time.

You can have syntrometrine at a home birth, but you dont have to if you dont want to.

I will be trying for a physiological 3rd stage (at home) but if the placenta has not arrived within the hour, or I am bleeding heavily, I will have the injection.

Its completely up to you....

Well I went to a home birth meeting on Sunday and one of the ladies had brought along her private MW who was very helpful.
She said syntometrine and sytocin are the injections to help the placenta but they make your womb contract which happens naturally anyway. She said consultants seem to advise the injection a lot in the case of previous retained placenta but really the last thing you want to do is hurry the womb contraction up as that increases the risk of retained placenta!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->