Home birth but no home visit?

Sam292

Reaction score
As I've mentioned before, I recently moved, so had to change midwives. Well I have yet to meet my new one as she has been signed off sick for the last 6 weeks so have been having the other one at the practice for my appointments. Well, I don't like this midwife at all as she seems like she is away with the fairies and can be quite rough when checking baby's position etc, but I told her from the start that we are planning a home birth. I have been told by my previous midwife that they would do a home visit prior to the birth but this new one said no when I asked about her coming to the house. I cant decide if she just cant be bothered as she is not my official midwife or if it is actually not necessary. Has anyone else had no visit prior to a home birth? And what can I do if I am supposed to have a visit? She has refused twice now...:growlmad:

I'm very early in yet, but when I mentioned my home birth plans my midwife scheduled the appointments for having blood taken etc to be done at home. However, with my last home birth everything was either at the doctors or hospital until 37 weeks when I had my last few appointments at home.

I've never heard of anywhere in the UK not scheduling at least one home visit for those planning a home birth. Firstly, the midwife needs to know she can get to you - here they write down detailed directions so that whichever midwife gets called on the day can find you quickly. They also need to check for things like how accessible your home is for an ambulance crew in case that became necessary so that they can be aware of any special arrangements that might need to be made. They also usually drop off a box or bag of the essentials they need for the birth, such as cord clamps, sterile gloves/scissors/etc. They will bring a lot of the kit such as oxygen and any drugs with them on the day but this bag/box means they have the bare essentials if a midwife has to be called straight to you from home while another goes to the hospital to pick up the kit and you give birth quickly. I was at a home birth last year (I'm a doula) where this happened but because they had the box the midwife was able to do what she needed to safely and the new parents just had some extra time cuddling their new baby while we waited for the rest to arrive.

You will be full term at 37 weeks and your NHS midwife team should be ready to come out to you any time from then. I suggest you call up your hospital/midwife unit and ask to speak to one the supervisors of midwives to tell them you don't know if have been officially booked in for a home birth and you want to make sure everything is in place. Ask specifically about a home visit. It may be that your local team don't always do them and bring everything with them on the day but I don't think that's common practice in the UK.

Good luck!

ETA: If you really don't like the midwife you have been seeing you can tell them that you don't want this midwife to attend you any more. You are entitled to do this - it's your right - and you don't have to give a reason, though by all means do if you want to. They then have to provide an alternative midwife. We've done that here. One of the midwives on our team we just don't click with and we have no confidence that she will respect our wishes on the day so we've asked that she not be put on the rota to attend us. They've said this is fine (she doesn't like home births either) so if she happens to be on call when I go into labour she will go to the unit and relieve the midwife there so that one can come out to us.

Gina. x

I had a home birth and the midwives here don't do any ante-natal home visits. They bring the full kit on the day.

Thanks guys, Have phoned the senior community midwife and she said that although it is not their policy to always do a home visit, I should be allowed one if that is what I want. She is also getting me a new midwife which is a relief as mine makes me very uncomfortable and has not been supportive of my choices. Glad I called them now! Thanks for advice Gina xx

I'm glad the call helped. :) Yey to helpful midwives!

And wishing you the very best with your now hopefully stress-free home birth.

Gina.

Hope it all goes well with your home birth.

I am planning on a home birth. I'm not having a home visit until Sunday, which by the NHS dates has me at 38+1, but that's because the midwife who was on this weekend just gone isn't very pro home birth, so they recommended I wait for a different one. They just said if I go into labouor before Sunday to ring up the delivery suite explaining I was to be booked in for a homebirth and to send a community midwife.

I know it's not the same situation, but just thought it might put your mind at rest that my midwife wasn't that fussed about seeing me at home before the birth.

I'm so hoping my area isn't too bothered about home visits or can do it before the kids break up from school cos my house will be CHAOS once they're off for christmas - it might scare the midwife off!

my first homebirth i didnt have a pre-natal visit but they did bring a 'essential box' to my house at 37 weeks ready... (literally brought it in and went in minutes though lol)

i have just booked in for my 2nd homebirth - i now live in a different area but they too do not do pre-natal visits and neither do they bring a 'kit' round before hand - they bring it all on the day.

so i guess it varies in different places,
good luck with your homebirth :) xx

I wasnt visited at home before my HB either and my hubby collected the birth kit from the birth centre. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->