Home birth choice puts babies ‘at risk’

cupcake23

Reaction score
Has anyone read this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10806450

I like the response from the RCM

https://www.rcm.org.uk/midwives/news/home-birth-choice-puts-babies-at-risk/

What do you guys think?

its such a load of pants, its based on American research and america have one of the highest infant/maternal mortality rates in the world anyway! am too tired to write an educated point atm but interested to see what other people think about this....

That Lancet article was nonsense, it implied that the Dutch home birth rate was rising (in fact it is falling and has been for many years, to its current low of 30%) and mentioned a 40% hospital transfer rate for nulliparous women - that's because we don't have to decide to go to hospital here until labour is already well advanced! If I choose to go to hospital (eg if I want pain relief), the midwife will take me once labour is established. It doesn't mean that it's a medical emergency.
Ugh it makes my blood boil!

Grrrr.

Women need to know exactly what the risks are and then decide if that risk is acceptable for them and their baby. Child birth carries some risk whether at home or hospital. Women make decisions for their children throughout their childhood based on what they are told about the risks of those decisions.

We are talking about levels of risk here. A doctor who may get sued if something goes wrong will use a lower threshold for risk than a single woman. How would they police it? Refuse to send a midwife to assist a woman? Arrest the woman? Make the child subject to a Child Protection Plan (ie old At Risk Register)?

i think its just trash 2bh... what do they think women use to do all those years back... you dont see bloody animals been rushed into theatre when there in labour... its nature its what were menna do its not a bloody disease... there is no more risk at home then there is in hospital its utter crap

I would also like to add... These "statistics" also include unplanned homebirths due to very quick labour. Which of course is without any medical help etc xxx

I personally think its a load or crap. My MW thinks that home births = less pain relief needed due to being in the comfort of your own home. I do feel that if you are a 'high risk' for example you have had previous traumatic labours or have had a terrible time then you should give it plenty of thought but i fail to really see how they can justify it as putting babies at risk - what about all those years ago when MW and hospitals didn't exsist??? If we thought for one minute we were risking the lives of our babies we wouldn't even bother.

Bull the lot of it. They obviously dont have any better stories to fill their headlines with at the moment.

Good luck to all those who have imminent home births arranged :D I for one aint changing my mind over some crappy article xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->