Home birth question.

Harleyy

Mummy To Bailey.
Reaction score
Helloo:flower:

Im not ttc yet, but, for my next birth, I would LOVE a home birth. I pretty much hated it in hospital, and when my partner had to leave for the night. I pretty much broke down. :cry:
Anyywhoo.

Is there anything I can do to help me get my home birth now?
Eg, Lose weight for a lower bmi? Stuff like that? :shrug:

What can stop you being able to have a home birth that I can control.

Thank you.
:thumbup:

Are you in the UK? If so, they can't stop you having one. Of course having a normal bmi would help you have a healthy pregnancy but its not necessary.

Hi Harleyy,

In the UK you can ask for a homebirth regardless of your circumstances... they (NHS) are required to assist you - it's up to you where you choose to give birth.

Check out www.homebirth.org for more info, it's a brilliant place to start your research.

oh... and as far as the BMI thing goes, don't worry about it too much. I decided on a homebirth after they told me my BMI was too high to use the local birthing centre (I'm a pre pregnancy size 18) ! I've had the glucose test and growth scan because of it and all has been well.

Go for it!!

b x

Yes I am in the uk :)
I only came across homebirth when I was like 8 months pregnant and I felt like I was too far gone to plan everything. (I MUST have a plan/list or it makes me very nervous)
I wasnt happy with my hospital birth, as im 19, and tbh, I felt like I had to do what people were telling me to do.
What sort of pain control can you have?
I only had gas and air with Bailey, and was 10cm's when I got the hospital. Incase I find it more painfull what else is there?
Oh wow I have loads of questions!
I denied all blood tests in my pregnacy, (fear, everytime they mentioned it,I passed out, I was walking into the doctors, and the woman was like 'I'll just pop and get the stuff for your blood test' well that was it then, I was on the floor)
Will this affect me at all? My blood group is on file too.

You can have gas and air which the MWs deliver and diamorphine but you need to ask a GP for a prescription before hand. Most ladies manage on g&a and a lot have a birthing pool.

No, refusing blood tests wont matter. Its YOUR choice, they can only advise you. Some ladies have refused blood pressure monitoring and internals during labour too :)

I've declined BP monitoring since 28 weeks and have declined both BP monitoring and vaginal examinations during labour too. I also declined the 28 week bloods. You don't have to have any antenatal checks if you don't want them. It's entirely your decision. For me, declining BP monitoring was the best decision I ever made. I got so stressed about it last time that I ended up in DAU every other day for monitoring and then got sent home because my BP was normal. This time I just get asked at each appointment if I would like it done and I say no thanks. They just write declined in my notes and that's that!

As far as pain relief, it depends on area. In some places you can have pethidine at home, I think, but they might just give you the prescription and you need to get it beforehand.

The MWs bring a couple of cannisters of entonox (gas and air) as well. Lots of women find hynobirthing really good for pain control. A birth pool (or bathtub) is also really effetcive. DON'T dismiss things like visualisation, massage, herbs, essential oils, reiki... These can be VERY useful for women in minimising and ~COPING WITH~ discomfort. Paracetemol can help in early labour too. TENS machines can also be really helpful for a lot of women; usually best to start using them early in labour for them to be effective. I don't believe ANYONE gives birth "without pain relief", but quite a few do it "without drugs" ;)

A positive attitude and good support are both really important. The reality is that you can experience pain BUT still have a really wonderful experience.... or you can experience very little or no pain at all and feel traumatised afterwards. Pain is NOT the be all and end all of birth. It is not the same as SUFFERING.

By the way, I am a COMPLETE WUSS when it comes to pain and I loved giving birth! It was great. :)

GOOD LUCK. hope it happens soon for you! How exciting! :D

Thank you so much girls, can't wait to ttc when Bailey is about 1 and half, hopefully will be able to put that bnb homebirth achiever in my sigggy!
After you have had baby do they just go? Like when eberythings okay?
I tore with Bailey but didn't need stiches, of I tear and need them do I go to hospital?
Sorry for all the questions, I feel like I need to be a lot more prepared about my next birth, for example, I wanted a waterbirth with Bailey, was in my notes, and they ignoreed it, and I didnt want to ask them as I felt rude!

Get healthy and stay healthy. Exercise, prenatal vitamin, eat healthy, etc. Things that can risk you out of a homebirth are, high/too low blood pressure, toxemia/pre-eclampsia, placenta covering the cervix, etc.

If it is a serious tear you might need to go to hospy to have it stitched. But you are lesss likely to tear/tear badly at home, especially if you are using water. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->