home birth with GBS ANYONE??

mumtkayden

Reaction score
im due baby no2 in oct was thinking about a hone birth but unsure if u can have one of ur gbs poss does anyone no or has been aloud one thanks

I don't know if I'm + or not but I was last time so I already asked. Either she brings the antibiotics to your house (common here) or you go to the hospital, get the antibiotics, and then go back home. Of course you have the 3rd option no matter where you are, and that is to refuse the anti-b's.

Yes you can have a home birth even of you've had a previous GBS + result. The RCOG don't recommend IV abs for GBS found in a previous pregnancy or an incidental swab anyway.

This thread is well worth a read through and has links to all the guidelines etc.

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/home-natural-birthing/504819-group-b-strep-support-thread.html

I was not GBS+ however, i asked the MWs what would happen if i was and they said i had a couple of options. I could chose to do nothing (though there are obvious risks to that). I could chose to use a vaginal saline solution (which is very very effective and works well-i could put that in when contractions begin) or i could just have a hospital birth. They each have their risks/pros/cons, but I decided that i would do the second option. but since i wasn't GBS+ i didn't have to worry about it.

Congratulations! I think you'll need to talk with your local health team - different trusts may have different policies.

Someone I know had GBS and wanted a home birth. She was told there was no way she could have the antibiotics at home and both she and her health team were keen for her to have them. In the end, she decided to have her baby in a midwife-led unit (attached to her hospital) with the antibiotics over at home without and everyone was happy with that. It wasn't quite the home birth she'd wanted but it worked for her.

If I am gbs+ (I was with my last baby) then the midwives will bring the antibiotics with them and they can hook up an IV at home the same way a hospital can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->