Home document storage

Mrs R

Reaction score
How do you all store your important documents such as insurance, invoices, bills, mortgage papers etc?

I have tried a metal filing cabinet with paper sleeves and they just all fell out. Then I tried a lever arch file but the papers are too heavy. So our stuff is all over the pace and I need to get organised.

Please give me some better suggestions as it's driving me mad:growlmad:

Stalking. We have a lever arch file and some box files x

Eta out lever arch file has plastic wallets and dividers

I just have plastic folders organized into 'bills' etc

I keep about 5 of them in the kitchen drawers

I have those big accordion type folders and store everything in sections, one a year

I use an expanding file folder. With personal information, like birth certificates, socials, etc., I lock them in a safe.

I have a home filing cabinet, it's not metal it matches my bedroom furniture. Have you got the right sized sleeves for it? (Sorry that sounds patronising lol, but I've never had issue with mine, it's foolscap sized). I couldn't have anything smaller than a filing cabinet, it was a mess in a file, they suggest keeping 7 years of paperwork.

Erm in a pile in an unused kitchen cupboard :blush:

Expanding file box thing (don't know what they are called) it has the individual sleeves in their already. I labelled them by month and then at the back store important docs like bc pp paper parts to our licence tenency agreement etc etc.
it's funny I just sorted it out as eoy I file away into a plastic wallet.

To be honest, I don't know where half my important documents are. I know where my birth certificate and passport are (on my bookshelf) and my driving licence is in my purse. Car documents are under the bed, I think. And that's about it. I'm so disorganised!

God you're all so organised! Mine are all spread out between various drawers in my house and a few under the mattress :lol:

Acordian box files. But I'm looking to get a metal filing cabinet soon when I create an office.

Currently trying 3-ring binders.

I have one with personal documents for me, hubby and baby, as well as vehicle papers and the booklets from all of our baby gear. I used document protectors since many of them couldn't be hole punched.

Then I have one for this years stuff, with dividers labeled for bank statements (one for checking one for savings), pay stubs, taxes, and state benefits. All of my bills are paperless so I don't have to worry about that.

Older stuff (including 2013) is all in a storage box designed to hold hanging folders.

I have a filing cabinet in hubby's 'office'.

It's really messy at the moment though as I had a big sort out and chucked all our old paperwork (from like 3 addresses ago! lol) and now just have our paperwork from our time here (been here 3 years) with a few personal docs thrown in. I have an 'archive' of older docs that I thought I may need to keep (like bank statements from last year etc) but were taking up too much room in the cabinet so that's in the loft.

I have a tonne of filing to do. I've not really done it since Charlie was born :blush:

I got one of the Ikea cube shelving units and the top 4 cube have boxes for different things...so kids stuff, house bill, car, invoices/payslips.

then the rest of it used for kids toys.

Erm.... Mines In random drawers around the flat deffo gonna start organising them x

One of those metal boxes with the card folders that slip in like a filing cabinet, OH has one too. I like that it's metal as I hope it's more likely to survive a fire. I did have one where the folders kept slipping off the rails, it was just a bad design so I switched it for another one and have never had a problem with it.

I have a filing cabinet with about 15 different files, tax, insurance, payslips etc

I also have a safe for passports and more important docs

I think our filing system saved our marriage as we would have huge rows when insurance or something was due and we couldn't find what we needed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->