Home Doppler & overweight. Anyone have advice?

mrspat

Trying to conceive #1
Reaction score
We plan to get a home Doppler later in pregnancy. I know I've heard of some women hearing the heartbeat around 8 weeks. This is my first pregnancy so I don't know how this works. Will it be harder if I'm overweight? Should I wait to try later? When do women usually pick up the HB?

I tried last night I couldn't pick it up. lol I know I'm wayyyy early to being trying that though. I'll try again on Sunday and then probably the weekend after. I think there are some women who have picked up a heartbeat at 8.5 weeks, but most are 9-10 weeks. Seems like AGES away...

Im about 20kgs over weight amd im 10 weeks and we herd it last night on the first try, it took a little bit of time and we only herd it for a few seconds but it was unmistakable, good luck

I'm a bit chunky and baby is still super low at 13 weeks 5 days and we found it first try a few days ago :)- good luck and don't stress if you can't find it right away :)

I found it around 10 weeks, takes some time, also a chubby bunny!

Im overweight and we use a doppler and started using one at about 20 weeks a lot later than most people do... but midwife used doppler on me at 16 weeks. If you dont hear heartbeat its also fine I like to put it on my stomach and hear placenta and her moving around which is easy heartbeat not always found but majority of times. Not sure if being overweight would stop you hearing anything early on but have read some posts saying they dont would personally wait until atleast 16 weeks though xx

There's plenty of me but was still able to find baby at 8+4.

I think a big reason why the myth is out there that its harder to find baby on a doppler when mum is bigger is because its harder for professionals to find baby on a doppler when mum is bigger. Sure it might be awkward for a doctor to have to move a little over hang out of the way to go in search of baby, but I don't mind shifting my own over hang and lying in the best way to get as much flab as possible to try and hide round my back.

It should be ok. U dont get overhand lying down anyway so it should be pretty straight forward x

I was wondering the same thing. I'm plus size and we've had some complications so the reassurance at home would be nice. I also have an anterior placenta though. :dohh:

I'm overweight, anterior placenta (tilted uterus too), with my son I was able to get him on the doppler at 10 weeks. I haven't tried this time because I can't find my dopler! :( You should wait to start looking around 10 weeks or so. Be patient, use lots of goo and turn up the volume :)

I'm overweight, anterior placenta (tilted uterus too), with my son I was able to get him on the doppler at 10 weeks. I haven't tried this time because I can't find my dopler! :( You should wait to start looking around 10 weeks or so. Be patient, use lots of goo and turn up the volume :)

What kind of doppler do you have?

I was also wondering what kind of Doppler everyone has. I am looking to purchase one but there are so many different reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->