Home made gravy

mumandco

Reaction score
How do I make gravy,only ever used granules before but fancy a try at making it from scratch :)

How difficult is it?

It isnt hard at all- For gravy you normally take the juice from the roast(or whatever meat you are doing) put some water to it and let it boil, and if necessary thicken it with flour like maizena or similar.

Real gravy is gooooooood! My MIL always makes it and there is always tonnes of the bloody stuff. Not sure how to do it though, although the above instructions do sound right!!

xx

DH always makes proper gravy, he puts the juices from the meat in a pan along with the water from the potatoes (that have been boiled/par-cooked) then let it simmer, sometimes he puts in a few gravy granules, bit of red wine and/or some mustard, depending on taste x

i get the juices from the meat, add flour & mustard to make a paste (i do all this in the roasting tin to save washing up). then add wine/water to make it a little thinner than i want then boil it to the thickness i like & to burn off the alcohol. (still in the tin on the hob). yummmmm
sometimes i add a few dried herbs, garlic or some stuffing mix if with chicken. x

My gravy I don't normally use with roast dinners (but its yummy with it) but use for pie is take the chicken juices and put in a pan with flour until its a thick paste, heat for a few minutes while strring to get rid of the floury taste then add chicken stock (I use homemade) and simmer until desired thicknessl, sieve and return to pan and season as desired, it is really really chickeny tasting though so seasoning is reccomended. x x x

Well I didn't try this yesterday as I was faar to lazy,do will be trying it out on Sunday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->