Home water birth plan - what have I missed out!?

Ju_bubbs

Proud single Mummy of 5!
Reaction score
I'm convinced I've left something important out... but really have no idea what!! Any ideas!? lol

General:

Ideally, if all goes smoothly, I hope that the midwife who attends me in labour will remain in the background, taking observations to check on the baby's and my safety, but otherwise not getting involved in my labour, unless I request otherwise. I believe that I know how to give birth on my own, but appreciate the security of having a midwife there to help with the unexpected or emergency situations.

I intend to labour and birth in my pool, move in and out freely as I wish at the time.

Transfer to hospital is only to take place if there is an immediate risk to my baby or I.

It is important that the pool temperature is comfortable for me so, unless it is outside normal safety limits, I will choose the temperature myself.

Birth Companions

My friend, Chris will be present, along with my older children Josh, Megan, Nathan and Imogen. His main job will be to care for the children and adjust water in the pool.
My sister, Becci may be present to photograph the labour and birth, depending on work commitments.

Labour:

I would like to remain active and use whatever position I find comfortable. Please encourage me to stay off my back!

Please do not offer pain relieving drugs.

Please do not offer to break my waters

I do not wish to have any VE's and only minimal monitoring of baby's heart beat as necessary

Birth:

I would rather not be told how/when to push/pant, or guided in the second stage, unless there is a particular reason to suppose that I need assistance, or I ask for assistance.

Please only administer an episiotomy if there is an urgent medical need - natural tear is preferable.

I intend to 'catch' my own baby, and lift her from the water myself onto my chest and would prefer the midwife not to intervene unless it is an emergency.

3rd Stage:

If I give birth in the pool, I would like to get out of the water for the third stage

I would like a delayed actively managed third stage, with cord clamping and cutting delayed until the cord has stopped pulsating. After this, I would appreciate it if you could administer drugs to help me deliver the placenta while holding my baby.

After birth:

I would like to breast feed my baby as soon as possible after birth

Please administer an injection of Vitamin K after the birth

I would prefer to avoid having stitches if possible, so if you think any tear will heal of its own accord,
without stitches, please let me know.

In case of transfer to hospital:

If transfer by ambulance becomes necessary, please do not strap me in on my back - I would prefer to be on my side.

I do not agree to student doctors being present.

I am very keen to avoid a caesarean section if it is at all possible. I particularly would like to avoid a caesarean just for slow progress. If labour is simply taking a long time but my baby is not in immediate danger, please would you encourage me to keep going and perhaps to try changes of position or movements which might help. Please do not offer a caesarean unless my baby is in danger.

Please do not admit my baby to Special Care simply for observation, but only if there is a specific reason for concern.

I would like to go home as soon after the birth as I am able to move, unless I or the baby have health problems which require hospital treatment.

All I would say is that if you want to ensure they do / don't do things that are important to you then using more direct language helps. I would LIKE you to do XYZ can be taken as but I don't mind too much if you don't. Saying only doing XYZ when necessary is easily skipped over because they can just say they feel it's necessary, even of its not clinically necessary. Either make sure your wording is sufficiently direct or ensure your birth partners are ready and able to protect your birth space :)

Thanks MM.. I didn't want it to sound rude, but good point! I think I'd rather they think I'm a rude bitch, than have stupid needless things done! lol

:lol: I know what you mean. It's getting the balance right isn't it. We've been looking this subject on the Facebook group tonight and one member has made a birth 'contract' to be used in the event of transfer. She had an unnecessary CS with her first thinking she and her hubby would be strong enough to convey things in labour and they found it difficult. And this is a woman who is ROCK SOLID so dont worry about strong wording if it's there to protect yours and your babe's birth space x

Only things that leap to mind are: who will catch,who will cut the cord and do you have anything specific in mind for the atmosphere... dim lights, or candles or anything? I was quite keen to find out the gender myself second time round, but not everyone minds :)

Sorry i was just browsing but i swear you only recently had a baby at home :haha:

Good luck with the home birth, i'd love one on the next one :)

Only things that leap to mind are: who will catch,who will cut the cord and do you have anything specific in mind for the atmosphere... dim lights, or candles or anything? I was quite keen to find out the gender myself second time round, but not everyone minds :)

Ah yes.. thanks for that!

Sorry i was just browsing but i swear you only recently had a baby at home :haha:

Good luck with the home birth, i'd love one on the next one :)

Yeah I did.. she just turned 1! Kinda found myself pregnant again when she was a few months old!! Ooops! lol

just wondering why you have opted for drugs after the cord is cut, my MW ( not that she was there at the birth ) told me that if i had delayed cord clamping they wouldnt give me the drug for placenta delivery unless it was clear i was having a PPH as it can caus problems if they do so they would only use it basicly in an emergancy

just wondering why you have opted for drugs after the cord is cut, my MW ( not that she was there at the birth ) told me that if i had delayed cord clamping they wouldnt give me the drug for placenta delivery unless it was clear i was having a PPH as it can caus problems if they do so they would only use it basicly in an emergancy

Mainly because I just want the placenta out asap so the midwife can piss off and leave me alone straight away! lol. I didn't have the injection on my 3rd, and I had to wait over an hour for the placenta, and then I had bits left in still!

Last time round, my midwife said that these days they (in this area) delay cord clamping as standard procedure. Not that they had a choice, since she didn't arrive til LO was 10 minutes old lol.. I had the injection, delivered it a few minutes later, checked for tears, weighed LO, then off she went! So I'm hoping the same happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->