Home water (ish) Birth

rjayne46

Reaction score
Hi all

two months late and still under construction but here it is so far!

I’m 30, this was my first child and I am the biggest wimp in the entire world when it comes to pain (at 25 my mum had to chase me around the room to get a splinter out of my hand)! The thought of labour terrified me but I was also excited, as it was a new experience. I had used Natal Hypnotherapy and I felt well prepared. I'd managed to convince myself that it was a natural process, to let me body take control as it knew what it was doing and I was excited if anything!

I had a very straightforward pregnancy and had felt healthy throughout. From the start I was adamant I wanted a home birth and I wanted to use a birthing pool. My midwife/s were incredibly supportive and agreed this from the start. My other half was not so sure and everyone I told thought I was mad and was endangering my baby. Eventually he saw the positives.

My waters broke a 7pm on the Monday evening, 5 days before my due date, just as I was bending down to put a blackcurrant crumble in the fridge. It was a strange feeling and I was a bit upset as I knew I only had 24 hours to get baby out or I would have to go into hospital to be induced. I rang the hospital and they took some details, they said to just rest and to ring the midwife in the morning if nothing else had happened by then.

I called my other half and told him, he is a Chef in a pub, I told him not to hurry back but he was home in under 5 minutes as it got him home just in time to catch the start of Top Gear!

We pottered around moving furniture and getting my “nest” ready. I hadn’t had any contractions so was a bit worried but went to bed to get some rest. About midnight I felt some tummy pains and guessed it was contractions (Id not had any Braxton Hicks so wasn’t really sure what they would feel like). I put my TENS machine on and slept on and off between midnight and 5am when they started getting stronger. I tried to time them but they varied in length and frequency so I gave up! I had some toast and lay on the sofa.

At 8am I woke my other half up as they were getting a bit painful, we started filling the pool and I rang the midwife. At 9am she arrived and confirmed I was in labour, she did an internal – not sure how dilated she said I was as it’s all a bit of a blur but 6cm rings a bell. The pain was like intense period pain that came from nowhere, and then disappeared just as quickly. I spent my time moving around the house, or sitting on my birthing ball and I made lots of trips to the loo for a wee as it felt more comfy there. Eventually the pool was filled and I jumped in, the relief was immediate. The urge to push then arrived and it was a very intense feeling, I couldn’t have not pushed for a million pounds! I was using the odd bit of gas and air but it didn’t really seem to be doing much. I was drinking still energy drinks and lots and lots of water.

My babies heart rate slowed slightly, it felt like I had only been in the pool for 10 minutes so I was upset when they asked me to get out and deliver on dry land. I moved to the sofa and in a few pushes my baby was born and my OH and I were shocked and a bit surprised it had all happened so quickly as it was only 11am!

My OH took care of the baby as I moved to the bathroom to deliver the placenta, I had asked to do this naturally and luckily it happened after only 20 minutes.

Freyja is now two months old and we are getting used to each other! She is fab and has slept from midnight to 5/6am almost every night since birth. She was a manic feeder and I was exhausted from trying to breast feed constantly so she now has 1 bottle of formula before bed as it gives me an hour or two to myself. She also has a bit of formula if I have not been able to express enough to use when we are out and about. I still feel really guilty about this but am trying not to worry about it too much as formula isn’t the guilty secret some people make it out to be!

** I wish I’d known it was normal to feel healthy in pregnancy and that it is quite normal not to get morning sickness/braxtons/trouble sleeping. The lack of these worried me when I should have been counting my blessings!

** I’m glad I was healthy enough in pregnancy to keep active (dog walking, trekking through the forest following my OH on his trial bike etc), I’m sure this is what made my labour so quick.

** I’m glad I packed a million and one things for my hospital bag, labour bag and snack bag. It gave the midwives confidence in me and made me feel more relaxed even though a lot of the stuff wasn’t used. The snack bag wasn’t used during labour really but came in very handy for a couple of days after the birth!

** I wish I had taken it easy after the birth. That evening I think I put the hoover round and kept up with the housework from that point onward. I hadn’t torn but had a few “nicks” and I hurt until only a few days ago – had I rested more I think I would have been better sooner. Moral of this story….. stay in bed for a few days after the birth, enjoy your baby and relax!

Freyja Marley, 7lbs 9oz

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/bexxyboo/phonedumpaugust10254.jpg

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/bexxyboo/DSC00881_2.jpg

2 months later...

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/bexxyboo/DSC01210.jpg

Beautiful baby and GREAT story! Sounds like it was an unforgettable experience. :)

Lovely story, thanks for the inspiration :hugs:

aww she is beautiful!! your birth story is lovely :) congratuations x

She is soooooo beautiful! Congrats and yes we need to trust that our bodies all handle pregnancy *and motherhood* differently! Thanks for helping us remember that :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->