Home waterbirth question

mistyscott

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm hoping for a home waterbirth with my first baby due at beginning of Sept...quick question though - we live in a rented house and I read somewhere that you need to ensure the floor will take the weight of the filled pool. The floor is wooden floorboards and I have a feeling there is a big space underneath (as in, not on concrete or anything).
Does anyone know any rules-of-thumb or ways of determining if the floor can take the weight? Don't fancy crashing through midway into labour...:haha:

Oh, and we'll be getting the bog standard inflatable birthpool - not a solid structure.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hi, I don't know of any basic rules of thumb regarding the weight of the pool on a wooden floor, thankfully we have a concrete floor in our rented house but I would perhaps speak to the company you intend to buy/hire your birth pool from and ask them if they have any advice.

Homebirth.org.uk is quite re-assuring regarding the weight of pools as well.

The inflatable pools when filled are about the same weight as 8 adults dispersed in that area. You could always test it out by having a party (no jumping up and down at the same time though, your un-likely to be doing that in labour! Lol ;-)

I was reading sometime ago about this for our water birth in our 1930’s flat with suspended wooden floors. This is what I found:

Floor joists typically sit in dusty pockets in the external brick wall of the house and then are covered by the floorboards running in the opposite direction for strength.
It depends on the age of your property and the degree of natural degradation or rot. If the Joists has some rot or has been chopped into for pipes/wires, it puts more floor at risk of problems, but you are relying on lots of timber in this situation, as it is across several joints and should be stable.

So lift up the carpet and a couple of floor boards and have a look for rot and cuts into the joists several in one area would be a concern. Plus away from the windows and the external parts of the building, would have less rot. So a central position is better than in the window. I would be confident if you didn’t find any rot or damage it would hold just fine.

You could get a structural engineer in to have a look, but it will be expensive.

Other things to consider would be:
Does it infringe your tenancy agreement?
Do you have household insurance? (Your landlord will have to have buildings insurance, or the freeholder will if it is flats without a share of the freehold - this covers structural problems)

Hope this helps
Xxx

Thanks
I really don't know now - it doesn't say anything about water birthing in the tenancy agreement, but then I wouldn't expect it to!
Re: the floorboards, it's a victorian terrace property, so probably 1900s built, and the floorboards are exposed. Is it easy to lift floorboards up?? It looks like there was some woodworm in some of the boards - but not active now. We have a large table and chairs on the floor....maybe I should try bouncing that up and down?!

Don't really want to ask the agent in case the answer is no.... :(

Oh, and the landlord must have buildings insurance - and we have contents insurance.

Tenancy agreements are tricky things (speaking as a lawyer), so although it wouldn't specifically say that you can't have a waterbirth at home - it might say something along the lines of not to do anything that would "deliberately" (not accidentally) infringe the buildings insurance... (things like lighting a fire not in a fireplace or leaving a bath over-following on purpose), that's the clause you are looking for and it is pretty standard for your landlord to have this agreement with the freeholder (unless they are the same person and you are living in the whole house>!?)

This isn't a problem though.. if you have rot/active woodworm or the structure is unsound and fails you wouldn't be liable anyways - but of course you don't want that to happen - just making sure you are covered if it does!

If you don't have carpet and have exposed floor timbers, it is relatively easy to make an assessment just like you have done, without lifting the floor boards. You will be able to see if there is any extensive rot/active woodworm or extensive woodworm damage in the floorboards which give a good indicator and how much movement there is when you apply pressure, just by walking about. Also you will know the points of the room where potentially pipes have been run to radiators or water supplies (like the kitchen sink - drainage won't be cut into the joists, they are too big)

Where are you intending to put your birth pool?

Is this upstaris or ground floor?
If it is upstairs -- it is more likey the pipes have been run across the joists to conceal the pipework. Though some heating engineers will suspend underneath if they could get to or the ground floor ceiling was exposed at the time of fitting central heating?
If it is down stairs -- they wil be more likey to be suspended underneath and most of the pipe work runs along the joists for ease anyway!

Look at where you boiler is - if your pipework is really old, then you might have any easy time solving the where the pipework is, as most of it will have been attached to internal walls and fed through ceilings and floors.

If you want to take up a floor board, it might not be simple as I'm sure you have some very old large skirting boards.. but you might find as you look around your floor an excess point (I.E where the floorboards have been cut inside the room so they could be lifted and then nailed down again) this will not only enable you to lift the floorboard there, without taking off the skirting board, or cutting your floorboards, but will also let you know where work has been done before.

If you take up a section of the floorboard you will need a strong long handled (about a foot long) flat head screwdriver and a hammer to drive under the nail and prize them up! the nails are really long about 3!! Or you could use a chisel but this might cut into the wood.. blunt is better! and I doubt you have floor gaps wide enough for a crowbar?

Have fun having a good look around, and have a read through the tenancy agreement (let me know if you find anything erroneous!)

Hope I’m not confusing things more for you?!?!
XxX

Eek! Thanks for the advice though...

We rent the whole house and thinking of having the pool in the dining area - the whole sitting/dining area is one room (knocked through I suspect) with the kitchen leading off the dining area in an extension (very old one). The boiler is in the kitchen, attached to an external wall - so I assume all the piping is contained in that room? There is one radiator in the dining area, underneath the window, and one in the sitting area (also underneath the window, at opposite ends to each other if that makes sense?)

Will have a look at the tenancy agreement too. Floorboards seem pretty solid - not a lot of give or creaking when walking on them (now, upstairs is a different matter!). And there's hardly any gaps between them.

I guess the other option is not to have a pool but still have homebirth.... :(

Certainly don't give up on the waterbirth!!! It's awesome!
I'm really sorry if I have worried you at all.
.. and I'm really sure it won't be a problem!!! Your timbers sound fine to me and not dodgy in the slightest. I'd say go for it unless you have some serious concerns, which you don't seem to - so it's all good!
xXx

Me and DH renovated a decrepit Victorian terrace townhouse thing in Scotland. Generally the floor joists are nearly a foot thick and we had rot in some, but where there was rot, it was visible from above, it was very obvious and stunk. Rot will tend to attack the softer timbers first, so these would almost always be the floorboards before the joists, as these were made of harder heartwood. We had to replace loads of joists partially but the old ones that hadn't rotted were solid douglas fir. I really doubt you'd have a problem, especially as it sounds like the kitchen/diner is on the ground floor? If you think about the weight of a cast-iron bathtub (which were common in these houses, we had one), full of water and an adult body in it, that should put your mind at ease. Generally the older houses were built much more solidly than a new-build now and they all must be engineered to take the weight of 8 adults, surely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->