Homebirth after induction?

phoebemum

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I was induced with my first 5 days past my due date and I hear that the new rules in place allow a woman who has been induced to go home until labour begins (I had to stay in hospital 3 years ago).

I am thinking about a homebirth though, been told I'm the perfect candidate and was wondering in the UK if you are induced, can you still have a homebirth?

I know what their rules and regulations are sometimes like (!) so not sure.

Thanks

Normally, they want to monitor you if you're induced. What makes you think you'll need an induction again? You can just plan a home birth if you want, which they will have to attend. They can get a bit funny the further over their guess date you go (usually only ten days or more, so I'm sorry to hear they thought five days was late), but it's still your choice. And expectant management should be given as an option, not just "you've reached x date, so you must have an induction." x

Thanks for the info. It was actually my choice to be induced last time at 5 days late as I had severe spd.

They normally do wait where I am until 10 or 14 days late.

I was told by my midwife that actually you can go home when you're induced now instead of monitoring in hospital. You just go back wen it starts.

I just wondered if I was induced if I could still have a home birth as sometimes there's higher risks xx

If you're "allowed" to go back home, nothing to stop everything happening quickly enough that they have to come out to you. ;) Personally, I don't see why an induction with pessaries couldn't be managed at home.

And I'm sorry your SPD was that awful, I can't imagine. I had it with my first pregnancy, but I know it wasn't as bad as other mums I've known. Here's hoping it doesn't return for either one of us. x

They may allow you to go home until contractions become more regular but they would not approve an induced labour/home birth as when you are induced your classed as high risk and risk of complications are increased so no hospital would support this, it wouldn't be there policy. You may go into labour naturally though, if you really want a home birth you should book for one x x

I was induced at 42 weeks even though I had a homebirth planned. I asked if I could go home after the pessary was put in and was told theres no way I would be allowed to leave. Obviously they couldn't physically force me to stay. I was only monitored for 20 minutes during that time. I really wish I could have been allowed to still have a homebirth

Thank you for the info Irish Eyes.

What a shame you didn't get the birth you wanted.

That's why I was asking as I realise that if I was induced again then they may not let me go home and have my home birth that i am thinking about.

I now have an appointment booked with my midwife for next week to ask all the questions I have relating to a home birth.

Would like to think it will all go to plan but you just never know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->