Homebirth in Mexico

4goingon5

Reaction score
We have been planning a move to rural central Mexico in August for months now. We just had our bfp a couple days ago, so we're due Nov 30th. This will be our fifth baby, so I feel like I'm a seasoned pro at childbirth by now. My first was all natural but in a hospital. My 2nd, 3rd, and 4th were in hospital with epidural and whole nine yards. My first was the most pleasant experience of the four, so we are planning to go natural this time as well.
Not to mention, I have scar tissue from all those epidurals, and the last time, the anesthesist said he was having a really hard time finding a way in around all the scar tissue, and advised me to not try having another epidural anyway.
Plus, we will be living FAR from any hospital, and there are NO shoulders on those mountainous roads, so the only way I can conceive of having a hospital birth there would be a planned induction, which I hate the thought of.
Besides, I am not crazy about the idea of giving birth in a 3rd world hospital.
So I'm thinking homebirth.
Am I crazy to consider this? I know what my family will say. When we announced our bfp, they replied "oh, so the move to Mexico is DEFINITELY cancelled", as if that were an undebatable fact.
I'm sure we can find a midwife there. I have never had any complications before. What do ya'll think?
Oh, and another thing is, we do EVERYTHING as a family, we homeschool, we cook together, I mean everything! And our children are always so disappointed to be left out while Mommy has to go to the hospital to have the baby. I see NO REASON why our children should not be present during the birth of their new sibling. It's the most miraculous event anyone can ever experience, and I think it is just ridiculous that siblings are not allowed in the delivery room. But our doctors have always looked at me like they think I'm crazy when I ask for even ONE of my children to be present.
My husband is truly a genius. He can learn anything from reading a book or watching a video. Why can't he deliver the baby? Untrained bystanders deliver babies in taxis and such, so why can't my husband deliver our baby at home? I know it's not the norm, but why not?

I dont think there's necessarily a major problem with this idea except that 1. I would personally find midwife to continue with the remainder of your prenatal care once you move and to attend the birth. Hubby may be quite smart but I think having trained, experienced attendant(s) could make a big difference in outcomes. 2. Although a hospital isnt ideal, you need to consider all of the possibilities and the fact that as well-planned as a homebirth (any birth!) is, you may have unanticipated complications that need medical intervention. So I would still explore the hospital options 'near' you.

Can I ask generally where in rural Mexico? I lived in Chiapas for a bit and loved it. Many many lovely wonderful places in MX!!

Beristain, Puebla. It's half an hour from Huauchinango, Puebla. I will definitely look for a midwife once we move, and I also hope to have a private ultrasound somewhere in town. I will look into the hospital options in Huauchinango, but besides the drive, I worry about picking up something during the stay. I'm probably being ridiculous. Healthy babies are born there every day. I just still haven't completely gotten over the joke my doctor said when I was expecting our first baby. We were in Mexico City, and I was under the care of the wonderful doctor who delivered my husband when he was born, just two blocks from where we lived. But when I asked if he had an anesthesist on call 24 hours, in case I needed an epidural, he made a joke. He looked blankly at me, and asked "an epi-what? oh yeah, I've seen those on the Discovery Health channel, I think I can handle doing one of those." He was teasing me because I was insinuating his private hospital was less than cutting edge, and he felt comfortable teasing me due to his very close relationship to my husband. They were good buddies besides the patient/doctor relationship. But he underestimated my anxiety and overestimated my sense of humor. I didn't find it one bit amusing, and I was on the VERY next plane statesbound. I ended up having my first baby all alone in an emergency room in Lake Jackson Texas, with just a nurse in attendance, before a doctor could get there. She was born naturally, with no meds, and no complications, in a matter of minutes. So I had nothing to fear anyway, but I'm a big over-reactor. Boy, did I feel silly! I could have had her with my husband holding my hand if it weren't for my lack of a sense of humor!
Wow, didn't mean to ramble so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->