Homebirth Refused

zilla

Reaction score
Had an appointment with a consultant today, and they're REFUSING to sign off my home birth. Even though I was under the impression that at the end of the day, it's my choice?

They say it's because my iron levels are still "low" - they're 10, which is a huge improvement on the 8 they were a month ago.

They want me to go in again at 39 weeks for another blood test and re-assessment, which is pointless as the results won't be back until 39.5 weeks and I'd still need to get the home assessment booked, my iron levels aren't going to rise in the next 2 weeks as I'm allergic to iron tablets and had to have an iron infusion a couple of weeks ago (but i don't have another booked so my iron levels are going to stay exactly the same).

Really confused - I thought it was my choice if I really wanted to go ahead with a home birth? Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes it is your choice, they cant stop you. Have you spoke with SoM?

I'm home birthing against medical advice but consultant i seen was understanding still. A plan of action was just put in place for me. You should join the homebirth support group on FB if they use FB they are great for advice and is MW on there too.

Look on here : https://www.birthrights.org.uk/advice/your-rights/

I'm home birthing against medical advice but consultant i seen was understanding still. A plan of action was just put in place for me. You should join the homebirth support group on FB if they use FB they are great for advice and is MW on there too.

How would I get in touch with SOM - would that be through the hospital?

The thing that's really annoying me is, I've been saying to my MW for weeks that this consultant appointment was too late. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow - this is so stressful!
Today and the last time I was supposed to see my consultant, he wasn't in clinic and they hd a stand in. the stand in today said I was going to have to see my actual consultant for confirmation. I was like, well what's the point in that when he's never in!
I asked if it was my choice and they said they weren't signing it off, and that I was just going to have to go to the hospital.
They won't even let me just sign something to say that I acknowledge all risks and that I don't have a choice in it :(

How would I get in touch with SOM - would that be through the hospital?

The thing that's really annoying me is, I've been saying to my MW for weeks that this consultant appointment was too late. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow - this is so stressful!
Today and the last time I was supposed to see my consultant, he wasn't in clinic and they hd a stand in. the stand in today said I was going to have to see my actual consultant for confirmation. I was like, well what's the point in that when he's never in!
I asked if it was my choice and they said they weren't signing it off, and that I was just going to have to go to the hospital.
They won't even let me just sign something to say that I acknowledge all risks and that I don't have a choice in it :(

I think you get in contact with SoM through your MW. I was lucky enough 1 of MW i was seeing was SoM.

This is what happened with me, at my 34w appt we talked about labour/delivery. As i was going against their guidelines i need to see consultant to talk through risks etc. My MW said i needed to do this in order to get ball rolling. I seen consultant 2 days later, when i spoke to my MW after she said thats another pointer ticked off the list basically. I was then booked a home birth visit to go through the paper work and assessment which was pretty straight forward. My plan of action was given to hosp incase of a transfer and all community MW received information about me and my plan.

Thank you for suggesting SOM!
I rang labour ward & they passed the message on, and she called me back straight away.
She was really lovely about it and said that the person I saw today had no right telling me what I can and can't do, and that she's going to speak to the consultant that she was standing in for, as he would have approved if it was actually him that I saw.
She's going to speak to my community midwives and arrange for my home visit.
She was actually a bit surprised at what I was told at my appointment today, and said that as long as I'm aware of the risks and that the midwives attending are comfortable with it, they didn't see any reason why it can't go ahead. x

I'm so glad you spoke to the SOM and she was so understanding! That consultant had no right refusing you a home birth, it's your choice as you know.

I'm actually surprised they had an issue with your iron level in the first place. I recently saw a midwife who said the NICE guidelines have changed regarding iron levels and now anything above 8.5 was acceptable for a home birth. She said it used to be 10.5, so even then yours isn't much lower than that!

All the best, I hope you're able to have the birth you want :flower:

Thank you for suggesting SOM!
I rang labour ward & they passed the message on, and she called me back straight away.
She was really lovely about it and said that the person I saw today had no right telling me what I can and can't do, and that she's going to speak to the consultant that she was standing in for, as he would have approved if it was actually him that I saw.
She's going to speak to my community midwives and arrange for my home visit.
She was actually a bit surprised at what I was told at my appointment today, and said that as long as I'm aware of the risks and that the midwives attending are comfortable with it, they didn't see any reason why it can't go ahead. x

Fantastic to hear that! :D I hate it when these docs/consultants try to bully us, just no need for it. X

Stalking as I am hoping for a home birth this time. Consultant has ok'd it, just to discuss it with my mw at my 34 week appointment. Back for a growth scan at 36 weeks just to double check that he isn't too big,due to daughters weights at gestation, and should be good to go. I have very quick labours, dd1 90mins and dd2 50mins start to finish, so chances are I wouldn't make hospital in time anyway. I'll be lucky if my mw gets to me before he arrives lol.
Good luck to you both xx

I'm beginning to wonder if my midwife has done everything properly! I told her I want a homebirth and she said that's fine, I'll put it in the diary. I had to ask her what happens next and she said as long as you go into labour between 38 and 42 weeks, I just phone triage at the hopital as normal and they send someone.

No mention of home visits or anything else.

I am also consultant led due to high BMI but have only seen him once.

I'm beginning to wonder if my midwife has done everything properly! I told her I want a homebirth and she said that's fine, I'll put it in the diary. I had to ask her what happens next and she said as long as you go into labour between 38 and 42 weeks, I just phone triage at the hopital as normal and they send someone.

I just got a phone call from a community midwife at 36 weeks and she arranged to come round later that week to discuss the home birth and bring my delivery pack. She had a checklist of things to go through with me, like all possible reasons for hospital transfer and what I wanted in my birth plan. I haven't had any more home visits since. You've still got plenty of time, don't worry! :)

I just got a phone call from a community midwife at 36 weeks and she arranged to come round later that week to discuss the home birth and bring my delivery pack. She had a checklist of things to go through with me, like all possible reasons for hospital transfer and what I wanted in my birth plan. I haven't had any more home visits since. You've still got plenty of time, don't worry! :)

Ooohhhh...what's in a delivery pack? I'm excited :) Have bought my pool already and starting to buy everything else I need too so I don't need to worry about it in the run up to Xmas :)

They can't refuse you, end of. I refused my retest of bloods. Despite what MWs and consultants tell you, having low iron DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR RISK OF HEMMORAGE!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry autocorrect can't find the correct spelling!!) It makes recovery more difficult, that is the risk, but you're at no more increased risk than any other woman. It's a personal risk assessment, for me low iron was not a reason to have a hospital birth, I successfully home birthed. Tell them you're having a home birth and they have an obligation to send a MW, it's as simple as that.

Ooohhhh...what's in a delivery pack? I'm excited :) Have bought my pool already and starting to buy everything else I need too so I don't need to worry about it in the run up to Xmas :)

Most of the equipment the midwife needs for the birth is in there.. Gloves, scissors, needles, absorbent pads, labour/delivery notes, postnatal notes for mum and baby etc. They bring a few other things in their bag on the day but most of the important stuff is in there. They can bring canisters of entonox and oxygen on the day too. I've had my pool set up since 37 weeks, it's just ready and waiting for a baby to be born in it! :)

Depends on the area, in mine they don't do delivery packs they just bring what they need when you go into labour. Just make sure over winter you ask that they don't store gas and air in their cars, this happened to a friend of mine and it froze so she couldn't use it! They changed their policy due to this in that area!

I was also refused a home birth AND using a birthing center, but for another reason. It's all legal really. Since I have mitrovalveprolapse they refused it stating that if something did go wrong, the tools weren't there (in other words, there afraid hubby will sue if I die in the middle of birth). However! When I told my in hospital midwife (who I was recomended to after being refused) she said it made no sense. I do understand it on there point. They have a record they want to keep perfect and therefor have guidelines they must follow. If your still persistent on your homebirth, I would see about possibly getting someone else to sign off on it. Then again, it may be hard finding someone else this late in the game :-/

In the UK you don't need someone to sign you off, they can not legally refuse you a home birth.

Most of the equipment the midwife needs for the birth is in there.. Gloves, scissors, needles, absorbent pads, labour/delivery notes, postnatal notes for mum and baby etc. They bring a few other things in their bag on the day but most of the important stuff is in there. They can bring canisters of entonox and oxygen on the day too. I've had my pool set up since 37 weeks, it's just ready and waiting for a baby to be born in it! :)

I have birth pack too from MW. On first looking it was a bit scary lol.

Ive also done my own birth box :)

I have birth pack too from MW. On first looking it was a bit scary lol.

Ive also done my own birth box :)

What have you got in yours? My downstairs cloakroom is now FULL of towels, the birth pool, hoses, etc - I think I pretty much have everything sorted. Not sure I'll dare peek in the proper hospital one LOL x

I've got the pool, hoses, towels etc too but also going to get waterproof sheeting and incontinence sheets like the big pads they use in hospital. Will also have a www bag with clothes for me and baby and maternity pads, stuff like that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->