Homebirthers: How far from hospital are you?

Mum22GTTC

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Could those of your who've had or are planning a HB tell me how far (minutes wise) you are from your nearest hospital?

No traffic for me it's 15-20 mins, but during rush hour it would be 25-30mins at the very least. That seems like a long time to me, so that scares me from a homebirth perspective if something were to go wrong.

But at the same I'm also worried because my labours have got quicker each time, last one was super quick, just managed to get to the birthcentre (which is on the same grounds as the hospital) & into the pool in time. LO was born less than 10mins after I got in the pool! So I'm also worried that I may not make it to the birth centre in time & end up giving birth in the car or carpark :wacko:

Obviously I've got a long time to make a decision, but I really don't know which way I'm leaning towards most. If the hospital was 2 mins away I'd definately go for the homebirth, but with it being (what seems to me) a fair way away I just don't know!

My hospital is 15-20 mins away normally, quicker with blue lights obv. I never thought of that as being far away really...

I had my baby at home and my nearest hospital is a 35 minute drive away, although quicker under blue lights obviously.

I live 10mins away.

But I also have the added bonus of where you get the ambulance sometimes sitting in a place waiting for a call, well there is always one sitting just 2 minute drive down the road from me. So hopefully it won't be out on a job when I need it! :thumbup:

About 15 minutes unless it's school pick up (lots of schools on route. It took over 45 minutes last time we went there!)

I've always thought that was pretty close. I remember our NCT teacher saying how if there was an emergency, it would take 10-15 minutes to get a team together and a room sorted anyway.

Hi,

I live roughly 16 miles from our nearest hospital, on the motorway it takes around 25 mins so I suppose with blue lights around 15 mins?

Consider whether you may be anxious having a home birth (for the reasons youve given). You dont want to be at home worrying that you may not get to the hospital in time if you need to). You're best to be as relaxed as possible, and if that means you go for a hospital birth rather than home, then maybe that would be best for you?

Im all for home births - you will know what feels right nearer the time Im sure

Good Luck x

Thank you everyone. So it seems I'm not far away from hospital at all really.

As soon as LO was born I said I'm having a HB next time and DH agreed. But now DH seems to be becoming more & more reluctant and he was saying how far away from hospital we are which has sewn the seed of doubt - how I can I be relaxed if he is not!

I've told him about this thread, so fingers crossed!

I live about 30 mins on a good day from hosp, but i'm not worried about it. I think that the chances of having a good delivery due to being relaxed at home outweighs the chances of something going wrong (I mean literally, not like one is more important than the other but that being at home so dramatically increases the chances of a fab labour) Remember if you are worrying that it's already very unlikely that anything would warrant a transfer to hospital, and even if it did, the vast majority of transfers are not crash-type emergencies than need attending to in the following 10-15 mins. I hope you get the kind of birth you want. :flower:

I'm about a 15 minute drive from the nearest hospital, 20 minutes if traffic was really bad. I figure by ambulance the ride would be 5 minutes, 10 if traffic was bad.

We live about 7 minutes away (no traffic)
Ambulance station is across the road from me though

35-40mins (in rush hour traffic) 25-30mins normal and dunno not long with blue lights.

We are 12 minutes from one hospital and 20 minutes from another.

I live about 15 minutes from the hospital and intend having a homebirth BUT I live on an island and the hospital is on the mainland. A road bridge connects the island to the mainland across a narrow channel and like I say, it's normally about a 15 minute drive with no issues. However, if for any reason the bridge was up or was blocked (say with an accident), there might be a problem. It's never happened yet since I've lived here but I wonder if I'm taking too big a risk planning a homebirth just in case something does happen? Any thoughts?

My nearest hospital can be anywhere from 20 mins, up to 1.5 hours away! lol I got there on baby number 3 in 20 minutes, but it was 3am, no traffic/snow.rain etc, and my mum pretty much drove at near 100mph the whole way without stopping for red lights :haha: (baby was crowning as we got to hospital!)

But, if its anywhere around sort of 7.30-9.30am or 2.30-6pm.. its an hour and half drive in awful traffic!

My last 2 labours were under half an hour, so there is no chance I'm even considering attempting to make it to hospital.. blue lights can get to me easier than I can get to them IF anything medical is needed! (well... if the barriers at the train station at the end of my road arent down! lol)

Hiya I was transferred due to Mec in waters. We have two hospitals one about 5 mins drive the other 10 obviously longer in rush hour traffic. The ambulance took about 5 mins to arrive, and I chose to go to the furthest away hospital as that's where I would have gone if having a planned hospital birth. Took about 5 mins to get there with blue lights at lunch time ish.

Half an hour away. Longer with time for them to arrive and get there. I had a client who was an hour from her nearest hospital which was why they have a high home birth rate in the area.

ours is about 5 minutes - but dont they have a ambulance on standby for each homebirth. This is what my midwife told me.

I was never told that. Not sure if my mw rang 999 or wymas number like I would at work for blue light transfers (I'm a nurse) but they sent a first response car too which was unnecessary as he had nothing to do lol. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->