Homebirths

Quackquack99

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm quite uneducated on homebirths so please excuse my ignorance. I've been booked into the midwife led unit for this baby, but for my next I would really like a homebirth. I'm just wondering, after giving birth at home did you and the baby have to go to hospital to get checked out? Or can the midwife do the checks there at home. I'm sorry, its only because my midwife hadn't really discussed birthing options other than the midwife led unit

In all honesty, and I'm going to be totally frank (so be warned!>)

It is easier to plan a home birth with you first than it is with your second or subsequent babies. I say this because you have no obstetric history - I know that what you are thinking, is "if all go well with this one I will consider it for my second" But if we are talking risks and statsitics, then you are better at home than birthing center or hospital - Tranfer rates are as low as 5%.. UK average brithing centre or MW lead centres are about 23% tranfer to Obst units, and average hospital units c-section rate for the UK are about 30% - for me know know where the risks lay.. just walking though the doors of the hospital.

So I would say you don't have to have your against the odds hospital birth before you should consider a home birth.
Birth should be somewhere YOU feel comfortable.. would you feel comfortable at home? - this is the only question you should be asking yourself?

A home birth is the same as a MW lead unit in terms of medical equipment - and is set-up to try and be a home from home, but the point is it isn't your home.. plus your are advised to stay at home for as long as you can, because it is proven you labour better at home. I could go on... and on and on! lol

So, sorry - as for checking out of the baby with a home birth. It is all done at home. Newborn checks (inc hearing eyes hips etc) and an electronic hearing test - it will be arranged, you don't have to leave your home, Unless you want to.. getting out and about is good for your sanity in the early days! lol
XxX

Wow. I never knew all that! Thank you for that information. The only reason why I wouldn't have a homebirth is because I'm renting this property and I'm scared that I might wail too loud! But we're in the process of buying our house so for the next one I won't have any issues at all! I've made it clear to the midwife that I want to try everything to avoid interventions. I hate taking medicines and I avoid the doctors like the plague. I think its a case of white coat syndrome. So a midwife led unit is a nice in between place. Its just such a shame that my midwife didn't give much info. I wish she did then I could have made an informed decision.

I really wish your MW had given you all the information to make an informed decision. They should, but you have time, so ask your MW about it.
Also, being "booked" for either; home, birthing centre, MW lead unit, or an Obst lead unit - doesn't mean that it is only going to happen that way.. (as thought it is a done deal!) .. you can change your mind right into labour where you would prefer to be.

We rent, and we had a home birth with my first (in my sister's flat - she was concerned about the cream wool carpets - but there wasnt any cleaning to be done after birth. and the MWs (though I not sure all MW's offer this service, did the wasing-up!! lol

I wasn't loaud with my first, and even if I was, everyone aroungd me know I was expecting, so it meade tha tbit easier!! xxxx

Hi Quackquack - this will be my first birth and we have decided we would like to try for a homebirth. We also rent and I too had some concerns about if I scream my head off but my OH told me that I shouldn't worry about it as the most important thing is whether or not I feel comfortable - I would be much more comfortable in my home, and anyway, there's no clause in my tenancy agreement which says "no home birth". if my neighbours get offended I'm sure they'll get over it soon enough. All that matters is that you feel comfortable. Hopefully being in an environment that I find most calming will mean I am less likely to be making a lot of noise as I hope I will be more relaxed.

if my neighbours get offended I'm sure they'll get over it soon enough. All that matters is that you feel comfortable.

Well said!!

We're the same, first time, we rent our place. Typically I want to give birth in the only room that has a carpet in :haha: But if you take the usual precautions then nothing will get damaged and you can always warn your immediate neighbours/buy their apology with a bottle of wine afterwards. Our landlord is in Ireland, and neither he or the letting agent have any idea (and why should they, they get our money every month and send someone to fix things if they break, this is the sort of relationship I like with them!) and the caretakers who live in the building are going out of their way to help us by arranging the parking etc.

So don't let the fact you're renting put you off, if it's what you really want :)

the main reason im not opting for a homebirth is caus I dont have family or friends who could take care of my children out of the home while i was having this baby and i know from my experince that having kids around me doesnt help me labor well so from when im getting on in labor i need my kids to be in a trusted safe place and for them the best place is to be at home in their familiar enviroment and me to go to the MW unit

Im having home birth too so i dont have to leave my son with anyone, he is teething and very clingy so i want him to know im still in the house and not left, then come back with a new baby, i think it would be to upsetting for him, the first time mummy has ever gone out with out him, and she comes home with another baby..i dont think he is old enough to understand x

This is a great resource! :)

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/homebirthuk.htm

And as for a "noisy" birth - just have lots of loud sex until the baby is born so that they will be used to it by B-Day :D

I first wanted to do it so I would be more relaxed at home, and then found out (through a home birth support group – best thing ever. I went to the Bedford Home Birth Support Group but there is a list of loads of them) that there are fewer interventions when giving birth at home, probably because women are more relaxed. I had my first at home, in the lounge, two-and-a-half hours of labour, and now my second is due in two months, and I am hoping to have her at home too. I had a choice of every room in the house, and felt as relaxed as you can be in labour, but definitely something I will repeat if I can. I am so glad I didn't wait until my second to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->