Homework problem

pinkie77

Mum of four!
Reaction score
My son has just gone into year 6 and this year it's been decided that homework will be given out on Monday and collected on Thursday. I went in to ask for an appointment to discuss this with his teacher as he still needs help to complete it (he's on school action plus thingy and reading age is couple of years lower but starting to catch up well). I just don't have that time in the week with a baby, clubs for all my older kids, listening to reading, spellings and tables etc. Basically I was told no excuses, he won't get away with that next year at secondary and for him to just do what he can! I'm fuming, how can he do work that he can't read? What's the point in trying to help him when it's just dismissed like that?

hmm if he is on school action plus he really should be getting more support (and so should you) I would arrange to meet with SENCO and discuss this, also phone the local EP (or the senco can do this) they will help you. My son does his homework through the school week and in the lesson (with support) as we keep home and school completely separate due to his needs. Good luck x

Has the teacher differentiated the homework to a suitable level? I'm a year 6 teacher and it's common practise to ensure the homework you are setting is at a level so it can be carried out by the child unsupervised and that it is merely a follow up from lessons of that week (therefore the initial input has been carried out by teacher at school). I do agree that the child will HAVE to do homework at secondary, no excuses, but it's you LO's teachers duty to ensure this transition is smooth by getting child into habit of doing homework that they can ACTUaLLy complete. I agree with midnight fairy about talking to SENCO, also perhaps schedule another meeting with teacher asking him to make the homework easier and therefore more accessible? Hope that helps x

I didn't even get the meeting, this was from the year co-ordiator or whatever she's called who is new to the school and doesn't know my son! I've written a letter asking for a meeting with his teacher and SENCO which will hopefully bypass her.

The work is not differentiated at all, it's a standard workbook for ks2 sat revision which was why I was concerned. I'm annoyed because I've been made to feel like I'm making excuses and asking for special treatment when I'm just trying to get him the help he needs and is entitled to. And I know he'll have to do homework or else next year but I'll still complain if he's given work he's not got a hope in hell of completing!

Forgot to say thank you, both very helpful answers

If you do get a meeting, remind him of his duty to provide 'individualized learning' which OSTED deem of high importance. Also remind him that your son is on school action so you presume his IEP (individual education plan) would cater for accessible learning both at school and at home and at that a generic worksheet for children of national curriculum level 4 is in no way meeting your child's needs. If I were you I would refuse to take the time to sit and do the homework with your son until the teacher can take the time to spend 5 more minutes (which is all it would take if he were a competent teacher) providing appropriate learning tools. Grrrrr hearing of such inadequate teaching rages me, not only does it not aid learning but it lowers self esteem and confidence, everything a teacher should avoid! Hope that helps x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->