Honest Opinions Needed

doctordeesmrs

Mummy to 2 boys TTC #3
Reaction score
My DH and i found out we are having a little boy today and the only name we can agree on is Rocklyn (Rocky or Rocco for short). Our family aren't too keen. I think they feel its way too out there.

Honestly what does everyone else think. Do you have any other suggestions?

It is too different for me, but love this is your baby, you can give him any name you want to.

I couldn't do it because my hormones seem to make me care what other people think. I like names like that. It's a matter of opinion. If you want to call your baby Fishcake, you call your baby Fishcake! Not litterally, but you get the gist. If you both like the name, you want that name, and you're comfortable with that name, screw everyone else!

Why don't you and your husband each make a list of names you each individually like...then go through them together and do the process of elimination...and then whatever is left, decide through them.

I like the name, but I'm leaning towards older preppy names for my baby :)

We've done this list and this is the only name we're agreeing on at the minute. Maybe i don't want it enough if i care what other people think. I know its unusual but i don't want to pick a stupid name that will effect my child's life and he'll hate it. I really appreciate everyone's honesty.

I think he'll love it. As will his friends. I think some people will turn their noses up at it because it's different. That's what people do though, turn their noses up at things because they're different. I didn't think "Caitlyn" was all that different untill I told people and I got "Caitlyn, why Caitlyn?"

Also, do NOT tell family the names you have picked out. Everyone who has done so seems to regret it. Once that name is on a child, they are much less likely to have negative opinions. My DH and I have a list for a boy and a girl and the only person I have shared the list with is my best friend.

I like it - but it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, what matters is what you and your DH think

We initially really liked Rocco and had pretty much set on it but sooo many people were negative about it that we changed our minds. Still really like it but after all the stick we got for liking it i couldn't put our LO through it

Honest opinion....hmmm I dont know I do like the name but I also know how friggin rude people can be about unusual names if you & DH love the name then stuff everyone & call him that!

It's your baby, your choice. And a name always grows on a person so people just get used to it :)
I will say though, that it's early days, and you might have changed your minds 10 times by the time he's born, I know I did !! :dohh:

I love Rocky!
I wanted to call our little one Rocky but it seemed a bit tooe xtreem...especially as chances are he'll come out skinny and red haired. ..hehehe..we just thought the name might not help him at school!

But if you're comfy with it you go for it I say!
I think it's very sweet indeed.

if you like the name thats all that matters, its your baby and you have to go with something you like. your family will get use to it. when i had my last son none of the paternal side liked the name i chose- even after he was born they kept saying 'have you decided on a name then? what about such an such' but i just kept replying ' yes i chose his name ages ago remember'

Honest opinion - i think it is a great name!! I love it!!

If mine was a boy i wanted to call him Phoenix....but everyone i spoke to including my DH said it was wayyy to out there.

If my DH had liked it and none of my family did it would just make me more determined to name him that.

You should do what makes you and your DH happy, i dont think Rocklyn is too extreme a name its different and unusual....very nice! :)

Thanks so much guys for your honest opinions. It has really helped put things in to perspective for me. DH and i both still love the name. So i think for now it sticks but Ann-Marie is right. We still have plenty of time to pick a name. Chances are he'll look nothing like a Rocco and we'll go for Aubery which was my stepdad's idea because he thought that other kids would pick on him for being called Rocklyn It just shows how much people's opinions on names is so different.

I think its a great name! I'm all for unique baby names :D

A lot of my family didn't like Morganna but we stuck to it because we had it picked out for a long time, before we even conceived her :rofl: (its her middle name). Nobody liked the name Drake but we did, and now we get compliments from everyone that hears it.

He is your baby, and its a your choice ultimately, nobody else's! Do what makes you happy :hugs:

I like Rocklyn! I think it cute, but at the same time I can see a grown Irish man with that name too. If a friend of mine introduced a friend with that name i would feel "never heard that before" but not that it was weird or anything.

It makes me feel like it is a everyday name I just haven't heard of yet:) - does that make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->