Hook effect?

anniecrock

Reaction score
Ladies...I know ahead of time, I need to stop testing. Perhaps after this morning's experience I will. So, I used my last FRER with SMU and a CB Digi with weeks estimator. The CB digi came up 3+, so obviously my HCG still has to be above 2000 to get that, but on the FRER the test line was lighter than the control. Is this the hook effect? I think I'm only 5 weeks, 2 days. Isn't that too soon? You can see all my stats with this current pregnancy in my signature. Opinions please :haha:

Mine started at about 6 weeks with dd. Can you dilute your urine a bit and see what happens? Someone online had peed a few times in teh toilet at 8 weeks and then stuck the test strip in the toilet and got a super strong positive, where she had a very faint line with just the pee. Plus how do you feel? Do you still feel pregnant?? Hope everything is ok :hugs:

I don't have another FRER to test with, so can't do that. It just doesn't make sense that my CB digi would be 3+ (meaning my HCG HAS to be over 2,000) and then this would happen on my FRER.

Hey hun. This could be the hook effect. At around this time I tested - bad idea!. My test line was lighter than the test line from my lady test so I freaked! I got another test and diluted my urine and it was slightly better. Got a hcg thinking it was over and my results came out at 4000. All was fine. I would say you are too but get a hcg if you're stressing.

well frer is not a quantitative diagnostic tool, just a mere colorimetric test strip, and despite being a really reliable one, i often find it too "over-considered" and overrated on this forum as some kind of a gold standard. that test is very popular in UK&USA but barely to be found in other markets in EU and i think people take it a bit too seriously sometimes.

there are MANY things that can influence the test result and honestly i've never seen a frer where the control line is lighter than the test line.
starting just from merely your urine being more diluted than usual, to lower temperature in the room while you're testing (the temperature is actually one of the KEY factors in these reactions and if your bathroom is cold or the surface you placed your test on is, then you might get a fainter line), to stuff like hook effect or just a plain over-saturation of the test.

also, your body also produces several different types (isoforms) of HCG and the test manages to detect only one of those; the proportions of different isoforms greatly vary within the first weeks and this can also contribute to what you've seen.

i really really wouldn't stress over it. it is just a stick you pee on.

I did the same thing at 5 weeks and tested only to get light lines. I panicked to the point that I actually went I for a repeat Beta, and my HCG at that point was 11,000. The nurse told me to put the pregnancy tests away! (I know, easier said then done :haha:). I found out at 6 weeks I was having twins... So obviously the light frer didn't mean much. Put the pee sticks away, hon! :flower:

haha YUP...i know it - it's just SO HARD to stop! this happened to me with my last pregnancy (as my husband so kindly reminded me tonight)...but still makes me freak out! i'm nuts!

haha YUP...i know it - it's just SO HARD to stop! this happened to me with my last pregnancy (as my husband so kindly reminded me tonight)...but still makes me freak out! i'm nuts!

it's normal to become a POAS addict hon! we all want some reassurance to know it is all going well and that the bean is in there safe and sound!! especially until the other joys of pregnancy kick in (MS, bloating, sensitivity to smells, peeing every 2 seconds and so on) so they make it more "real" and tangible on the outside... (it's funny how one would kinda LOVE to be sick every day just to be sure it's all fine... what a momma's heart is ready to do is beyond this world i find!) :dohh:

but HPT can't really offer you much reassurance... so yes, maybe you can't really put the stick down but at least you can pee on it with a bit more perspective :)))))))))))))))))))

Stop testing!!!! That's my advice to you. At such an early stage in our pregnancies, unfortunately there is nothing we can do and all you're doing is worrying yourself. With my pregnancy before this one, I was worrying about every little ache and pain, I was constantly testing, and I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't be that way with this one. We all just need to stop worrying and ENJOY this experience that we have been blessed with. At the end of the day, we can't control the outcome. Enjoy being pregnant, and throw those darn tests away. :hugs:

yep--hook effect. you can always go buy another frer and dilute if you want hon...for peace of mind, but I realllly wouldn't worry.

Thanks again everyone - I know, I know. With a 7 month old daughter, one would think I would've learned by now that I pretty much have zero control left...but I'm still trying to control things :) I know I need to stop testing...and pretty sure I will now. I have my 7 week scan next Thursday - so just need to make it there!! You all are THE BEST though. Thanks for the virtual love!

I got a stronger than control line frer at 4 weeks then quite a faint one at 5 and freaked as I got a lighter test the morning I started bleeding of my last pregnancy. But all was fine. Think the test just didn't have as much dye in it.

annie, I did the exact same thing as you, and now it's stressing me out too! I'm 6+5 and for the past couple days, I've had light tests...I know, I shouldn't have tested in the first place! I diluted, and it got *slightly* better. But my MS has kicked in this week and I feel more tired than before, so I'm taking that as a good sign, and just waiting until my 8 week scan. It's next Friday, so just one day after yours. Keeping my fingers crossed that we both have great news, and I'll look forward to your update :)

And I really appreciate all the reassuring comments other ladies have posted on here :flower:

thanks randapanda - will definitely update later next week...will look for your's too :) GOOD LUCK!

Hey! How was your scan? Hope it went well!

Mine showed baby right on target for 8 weeks. What a relief!

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-first-trimester/2065199-hook-effect.html

i did a hook effect experiment x

hey randapanda! so happy to hear about your scan! yay!!

our's went great too...i was 6 weeks, 6 days - but baby was measuring 7 weeks, 2 days...heartbeat of 144...all looked perfect!! YAY!! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->