Hoping for a natural birth in hospital...anyone else?

We're hoping to use our hypnobirthing techniques for a natural relaxing birth!

I'm so excited, I just spoke to my OB and asked him the likelehood I will have a c-section. He said assuming I try (like dont request c-section) and dont become high risk I only have 1/3-1/4 chance of a c-section. wich sounds high but is very low for Florida. He also said he pretty much doesnt do episiotimies and if i dont get an epidural I probably wont need any intervention drugs. Sounds pretty good right? at least for US

I had a natural birth in the hospital. It was great, and I wouldn't change a thing. The birthing suite had a jacuzzi tub, so I spent the entire labor (except for pushing) in the tub.

With respect to my birth plan, I kept it flexible, with my preferences, but recognizing that interventions might be necessary.

It was really important to me to zone out and focus on what my body was doing. I requested in the birth plan that any communication be through my husband or the doula. I didn't interact much with the nurse or doctor, and just did what they asked without losing focus. I think there are more distractions with a hospital birth, so focus is that much more important.

I am hoping for a water birth but i don't think i would be able to manage without gas and air..however it would be lovely if i could. I still have many months to go but i think to plan your birth early is better. Any idea if hospitals let you have music whilst giving birth? I think some nice relaxing music would help. Unfortunately i don't think we have a midwife let unit by us so it will be a hospital birth.

Good to hear someone else wants a natural birth. Me too, I'm determined to have a waterbirth too, and I'm going to write a birthplan and visit the birthing centre. I''m giving birth in a midwife unit separate from the hospital where they'll be no doctors to administer any drugs, I'm so glad they are not an option as Ive heard some things I dont dont like about them. Good Luck!

I'm in the same boat. I wanted a home birth after watching the documentary "The business of being born". The midwife I chose decided to stop taking my insurance, so my only option remaining is a natural birth in the hospital. This is my first, but I definitely want a natural third phase like someone else mentioned. It's good to hear others who are bucking the system as well! I don't meet my doctor for awhile and it's making me anxious. I hope those of you who are close will update this thread after???

Which hospitals go for forceps first? When Mog got stuck, the hospital were so focused on giving me a natural birth that I laboured unproductively for another two hours just to see if I could somehow push her out?!? They were determined to get her out with a ventouse, we went through two caps and thirty minutes of yanking before they used the forceps to get her out the last little bit. There are forceps and forceps. My OH leapt across me to try and stop them using the forceps (as I was very against them) but they were only using them to do the last little bit, it's when they use them very deep in the birth canal that you can sometimes have birth injuries.

I have to say that the only bit of my labour I really regret was pushing unproductively for so long, the ventouse/forceps bit was fine, I couldn't even have told you where my enormous epesiotomy was, and Mog had no forceps bruises or cone head or ventouse marks. Her only problem was that she had aspirated meconium during the two hours of pointless pushing so had to have IV antibiotics. I really would advise you all to try and be as flexible as possible in your attitude towards intervention. I was perfectly calm throughout the instrumental stage of my delivery, and confident that the medical professionals were doing the best thing to deliver my baby safely.

Which hospitals go for forceps first? When Mog got stuck, the hospital were so focused on giving me a natural birth that I laboured unproductively for another two hours just to see if I could somehow push her out?!? They were determined to get her out with a ventouse, we went through two caps and thirty minutes of yanking before they used the forceps to get her out the last little bit. There are forceps and forceps. My OH leapt across me to try and stop them using the forceps (as I was very against them) but they were only using them to do the last little bit, it's when they use them very deep in the birth canal that you can sometimes have birth injuries.

I have to say that the only bit of my labour I really regret was pushing unproductively for so long, the ventouse/forceps bit was fine, I couldn't even have told you where my enormous epesiotomy was, and Mog had no forceps bruises or cone head or ventouse marks. Her only problem was that she had aspirated meconium during the two hours of pointless pushing so had to have IV antibiotics. I really would advise you all to try and be as flexible as possible in your attitude towards intervention. I was perfectly calm throughout the instrumental stage of my delivery, and confident that the medical professionals were doing the best thing to deliver my baby safely.

I agree you need to be flexible. Its just in the US they are intervention happy. Assuming I am healthy and don't want a c-section my OB still said I only had a 66-75% chance of vaginal birth, if i get an epidural i NEED pitocin, and that the AMA requires 1 cm / hr dilation or intervention is required. In the US its hard b/c you never know when interventiosn are REALY needed or just used just b/c its quicker, cheaper, easier, etc.

just wanted to say i had what i consider to be a natural birth in hospital, i stayed at home for a few hours then went in to hospital at 7.5cm. i did use g+a but that was my choice and i felt in control of what was happening, there was a massive tub in the room, and loads of space to move around. the midwives were fantastic and i loved the whole experience! good luck!

I'm also hoping for a natural birth in hospital. After being induced with Sofia at 37 weeks due to her needing surgery I'm weirdly really looking forward to going into labour!

I've choosen a small local hospital. It doesn't have the option of water birth but I do have a bathtub. There are really amazing birthing centres across the border in Switzerland but my insurance doesn't cover them and I don't have £10,000 spare!

I've met the midwives, there are only 6 in the team so it's pretty likely I will "know" them by the time I give birth. Epidurals are actively discouraged at the clinic, in fact my sneaky ob-gyn tried to say you couldn't request one but I just found out he was fibbing anyway. However I'd really rather not, he made it clear he believes they lead to more interventions.

Gas and air is banned here anyway, and tbh when I had Sofia in the UK it just made me feel vile.

I've ordered my hypnobirthing CD so can't wait for that to arrive. I meet with the midwives again on Monday so can discuss more options, although as far as I have been able to research there aren't any classes around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->