Hoping for a natural water birth at the hospital, any tips?

MelliPaige

Leo's Mommy
Reaction score
The title says it all! I've been told a few conflicting things and just want some general advice...I see my doctor on Wednesday and will ask then, but for now...
Someone told me to go to the hospital immediately after you go into labor so they will get a tub ready for me, but others have said the longer I labor at home the better...some others has said the water will dry my perineum and cause a tear while others have said it will soften and prevent one.
My mom just plain thinks I need to plan for an epidural and be done with it.

Any answers to those and advice will help! Thanks!

Hi there! I wanted a natural waterbirth at a hospital and I did get one, although I didn't deliver in the water (my own choice, when I got out to be checked everything went so quickly I didn't have time to even think about getting back in!) I don't know if the water softened or did anything! All I know is it didn't slow down my contractions.

The best thing you can do is make sure whoever you are delivering with is 100% on board with your birth plan. I specifically chose to deliver with a group of midwives that are very supportive of natural birth and they deliver at a hospital that is as well. DH and I talked with them quite a bit about what we wanted and they were 100% on the same page, so I went inferring very confident. At the beginning of my pregnancy, I was seeing an OBGYN doctor that wasn't very supportive, so we switched immediately.

Also, don't sell yourself short! Yes, natural labor is VERY painful! It's the hardest and most painful thing I've ever experienced, but it's also mind over matter. It's temporary, millions of women have done it and will continue to do it, and you're stronger than you think! If you put your mind to it, there's no reason why you can't do it. Although I went into labor determined to do it natural, what was important was that everyone that was in the room with me (my husband, midwife, and the nurse) were all supportive. They knew that's what I wanted so when things got really hard and I started to get desperate, they helped me work through the pain. I had the most amazing team and their support made it possible. Make sure whoever is with you during labor is 100% on board with your plan because at a certain point you'll need them to remind you of it!

In the end though, there's no shame in getting an epidural. Make sure you have a plan, but remain flexible if things change. Figure out what you want and then surround yourself with people who will support you in that.

Best of luck!! :)

If this is your first baby, I would try and stay at home until your contractions are regular, don't go straight in if you can hold off because being relaxed at home is much better for your progress in labour. Anxiety produces adrenalin which actually throws contractions off and can impede your progress.
Run yourself a bath, have some paracetamol and stay upright walking around, rocking your hips and sitting on your birthing ball (not the sofa)

I would definitely recommend a home birth, the water can be very soothing, and allows you to remain buoyant, keeping the weight off your pelvis. I find that the water does soften the perineum, although one thing that has been found with the pool is that more tears occur, but a lot of that is to do with the fact that the midwife cannot guard your perineum, but this research doesn't take into account the episiotomies that would take place on dry land to prevent the tears...so I'd say it's about equal :)

basically, it's a really good form of pain relief and i say go for it! x

I'd say stay at home for as long as possible. It's still possible to have a water birth.
I stayed at home with DS for most of it. I was about 7 cm when I got to the hospital. They still had time to fill the pool up :)

And with regards to the water, I'd say it softens things up down there :L
I had a 3rd degree tear with DD and she was 7lb 8oz. With DS (water birth), he was 10lb 14 oz and I didn't need any stitches and I put that down to the water :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->