Horrendous wind since starting weaning

marymoomin

Reaction score
My twin are suffering from awful trapped wind. They were initially fine when we started weaning but the last week/ two weeks it awful. They are crying in pain and just want to bf until it passes ( they are combi fed)
Any thoughts? I stain the veg to remove the fibre and have cut out bananas, but am running out of goods to try!

What kind of veg do you give them? I'd stay away from peas and anything cabbagy for now (cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts...). Butternut squash, pumpkin and courgettes are easily digestible. Are they constipated? If not, then carrots should be fine as well, and potatoes or sweet potatoes to mix the veg with once you know they tolerate it. You can also mix the veg with breastmilk, which will make it easier to digest as well. Hope that helped a little.

They love butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots to be honest they haven't tried much more. I mix with milk to thin. I have also started sieving to get the fun outputs strands out in case it was that, but no they are in pain, mainly in the evening.

Hi

I weaned my LO around 6 months. I did BLW so he got fruit and veg and some bits and pieces to start with. He was a big boy, good head control and very mobile. He also showed lots of signs he was ready to wean.

His wind was terrible. He was in such pain with it in the evenings and overnight. I considered allergies and etc but eventually came to the conclusion that perhaps he just wasn't ready yet.

I stopped for another month and then restarted slowly at around 7 months with no wind issues whatsoever.

6 months is just a guideline. There is no NEED to immediately start food then. I would simply stop solids and wait and see how it is in a few weeks time.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Joy x

They are showing interest and seem to be starving. BLW is not an option for them as they are too uncoordinated with their hands.
Is the wind a symptom of weaning when not ready? In every other way they seen ready ...

What makes you think they seem starving?

I took the extreme trapped wind as a sign that his body was coping with food yet. Given that there was no nutritional reason to plough on at 6 months we backed off.
My LO was showing great interests in grabbing our food too but to be honest he would grab anything we held even if it wasn't food.

Joy x

The fact that they were signing to be fed every hour. I have an older daughter so I know the signals for hunger!

I would personally put off weaning another 2 weeks at least if this was happening to my baby. I would take the excessive wind as a sign that his digestive system was not ready for solids.

I put off starting solids until 6 months not just because guidelines say so and even though my baby was ticking all the boxes for being ready for it but because he always had wind/gas problems as well so I waited.

If they're hungry I'd just give them more milk. In the early days of weaning they are really only exploring with food and probably not having enough to fill their tummies

I'm not trying to argue with you mary or insist I'm right so please don't take it that way.

Felix I agree with what you are saying- if they are hungry then offer more milk, perhaps its a growth spurt they are going through. They'll get much more calories out of milk than they will from early solids.

Joy x

I will be stopping solids for my bigger twin for a few . The wind has settled for the smaller one and she is eating well. All going to show that babies develop at different times.

I did take exception to the suggestion that I couldn't tell when my children were hungry! I actually thought twice about posting a weaning related post as there is so much judgement.

Sigh.

You never mentioned signing in any of your previous posts and for all I knew you assumed they were starving cause they were waking frequently or or something else.

Best of luck to you. I was only trying to help.

Joy x

Well I have taken your advice and I am grateful.

I guess nuance is lost on here but I have seen weaning posts turn into an opportunity to bash ( for want of a better word) and I thought you were suggesting that simply because they grab stuff that in itself wasn't enough to suggest they were hungry. Felt kind of patronising to be honest, but apologies if that wasn't where you were going with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->