hospital bags

catmummyof4

Reaction score
I no theres a thread at the top but its just too much to read..
so far in mine i have:
-2 pink sleepsuits and 2 neutral (just incase cos u never no)
- 4 vests
- couple hats
- nappies
- wipes (suitable for newborns)
-dummies
- changing mat
- 3bottles
- i will hav th powder
- scratch mitts
-baby hooded towel
- cotton wool
Anything im missing? X

Would it not be easier for you to buy a starter pack of milk? that way you dont have to worry about bottles being sterilised or having to carry a tub of powder or worrying about having to make up bottles during the night etc if you have to stay in.
Personally id leave out the dummys, and swap mittens for socks because mittens never stay on x

First time pregnant here, do they need pacifiers that early?
What about for you? I have been told to bring slippers for walking the halls, a top for being in the shower, loose pj's, my music playlist and extra snacks over and above what the hospital may have (someone mentioned ice lollies & nut mix are great).

You - Sanitary products for after, something comfy to wear during labour, spare underwear, loose pjs (I prefer dark colours incase of accidents) lip balm, bobbles for longer hair, loose change for vending machine, chocolate!
Baby - I am taking a small selection of newborn & 0-3, car seat & blanket

Don't forget dark knickers or disposable ones.
I'm not packing any dummies as my previous babies didn't use them in hospital.
And I'm leaving out the wipes and just taking cotton wool as I remember the midwifes are very funny about using wipes on newborns, I'll use wipes at home though.

Different sizes for baby - at least one premie size and 1 nb. Maybe even a 0-3 if shes big! Never know!

I didnt take dummies and had a lonng stay which i will have again and my son screeeamed the ward down so im taking just as a precaution this time. I dont like that the ready made stuff isnt sterilised there and then and its a thinner consistancy to the powder so the less that changes when we get home the better. I bought myself some black knickers out of primark for 2.50 so will juat bin them when done with them lol i learnt that tbe hard way before aswell lol. How many vests/ sleepsuits are you all taking in x

What about for you? I have been told to bring slippers for walking the halls, a top for being in the shower, loose pj's, my music playlist and extra snacks over and above what the hospital may have (someone mentioned ice lollies & nut mix are great).

call me an idiot but y would u want a top in the shower for? Yh my partner takes in a bag with all his snacks puzzle books etc. Not sure about ice lollys tho theyd melt lol x Xx

Would it not be easier for you to buy a starter pack of milk? that way you dont have to worry about bottles being sterilised or having to carry a tub of powder or worrying about having to make up bottles during the night etc if you have to stay in.
Personally id leave out the dummys, and swap mittens for socks because mittens never stay on x

I looked at the starter packs of milk but they're really pricey plus I was worried about introducing baby to those teats then changing when I got home? Am going to check with the health visitor but reckon I'll take my own bottles and the bottles of ready made up milk?

For your bag, like others have said, comfy clothes, shower gel, Bath towel, make up to feel slightly human! maternity and breast pads (lots!). Painkillers, water, sweets. My hospital provides nothing for dad so lots of food and change for the coffee machine! I would take sleep suits with built in mittens and feet for baby rather than separates, present for siblings.

Really must start packing by soon!

Xx

I'm packing my bag just now and have the following. This is my second time and Im leaving the expressing machine and dummies at home this time.
My bag:
Sanitary towels (postpartum ones although they do give you them in hospital where I am)
Toiletries (neutral, not too much perfume for if stitches)
Make up and hair ties ( so not essential )
Arnica cream
Zinc oxide nappy cream (for haemmorroids!)
Lightweight dressing gown
Socks
Slippers (easy to get on ones)
Flip flops (for shower)
Disposable underwear
Clothes for going home (leggings and top)
Phone charger and mobile
Social security docs of me and oh and a pen!
I'm not taking pajamas as they make you change into a hospital gown as soon as you get admitted here. Oh wore mine to sleep in last time!

For baby:
6 onesies (vests) in various sizes
2 cardigan and trouser sleep things. (Easy for changes)
Going home outfit
Wipes
Not taking nappies as they gave me ten a day last time. Planning on robbing as much as possible this time round.

For OH
change of clothes
Toothbrush and deodorant etc
Change for vending machine
phone charger

Can I ask a wee question...after birth do you need to wear the thick maternity towels that the hospital provides you with/you see in the shops or will normal sanitary towels do the same job?

Can I ask a wee question...after birth do you need to wear the thick maternity towels that the hospital provides you with/you see in the shops or will normal sanitary towels do the same job?

You'll want the thicker ones for the first few days at least :)

just started doing mine today
so far I have
-Maternity towels
- 2 baby grows
-scratch mittens
- mini shampoo and conditioner
- mini toothpaste and mouthwash
-mini shower gel
- battery powdered mini fan

that's it at the moment, I did buy some pj's but have to take them back as they are too big, don't really fancy my boobs being on show while not breastfeeding lol.

maternity ones are better ones for the first few day, even night sanitarys won't be quite thick enough, plus the maternity ones are cheaper at £1 a pack.

I found I needed the thick maternity pads for the first wee while then just used sanitary towels. One thing I needed was to make sure that sleepsuits had mitts attached as they fall off if there separate and of course a camera, a phone is ok for pics but its was to lose as well as easy to wipe so you could lose all those lovely pics.

call me an idiot but y would u want a top in the shower for? Yh my partner takes in a bag with all his snacks puzzle books etc. Not sure about ice lollys tho theyd melt lol x Xx

i dont remember needing one while i was still in the hospital but the reason being is your nipples will HURT when the water hits them, especially after your milk comes in :haha:

Also I guess the UK must be different because here in the US, they supply half the things you listed, not including my personal stuff, the only things I bring for baby are 2 outfits (different sizes) and a carseat...I may also bring some syringes with breastmilk that I pump prior to birth.

I still dint have my bag done.... no idea what to pack! All I have are toiletries and they are dull sitting in the grocery bag from when I bought it....

I was told to go with the maternity ones first because they are 100% cotton and reduce the risk of infection. Especially if you have stitches etc

This is my first pregnancy. What are dummies? And where do I buy disposable undies? If I plan to breast feed, do i need to bring my pump to the hospital? Do I need to bring formula and bottles just in case I have problems with breast feeding?

i dont remember needing one while i was still in the hospital but the reason being is your nipples will HURT when the water hits them, especially after your milk comes in :haha:

Also I guess the UK must be different because here in the US, they supply half the things you listed, not including my personal stuff, the only things I bring for baby are 2 outfits (different sizes) and a carseat...I may also bring some syringes with breastmilk that I pump prior to birth.

I think they supply the pads / disposable undies and bed pads (I was told by my pharmacist to grab a few of these from the hospital as the hospital ones are better than the ones you buy in the store.
I'll bring breast pads, onsies, car seat, cloth diaper (we are not using plastic pants), socks, scratch mittens, ipad with some movies & our playlist loaded up, and some infant formula as I doubt my milk will come in right away. The hospital will likely have formula too.

Littlesteph what is a baby powdered minifan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->