Hospital birth in the US with hypnotherapy?

Jess137

Pregnant w/1st - 3rd Tri!
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this? For many reasons, I have no choice but to have a hospital birth. As you know, medical interventions are much more common, even routine in the US. I am starting to study Natal Hypnotherapy and it sounds like something I really want to do, but there are no classes in the US so I would have to get the CD's and do it on my own (I've got the book Effective Birth Preparation and have started reading it). The birthing suites at my hospital do have tubs to labor in (but not allowed to give birth in there) and birthing balls. My doctor is very open to doing things how I want, but I haven't discussed this with her yet. All we've specifically discussed is NOT pushing on my back, not cutting the cord until it stops pulsing and immediate skin to skin. So I'm wondering if it's practical to even try this in a US hospital setting.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing but HypnoBirthing classes are widely available in the US. Could be worth a look?

Hi Jess, I don't have any advice, but I am in the same boat. I liked the Natal Hypnotherapy method better than hypnobirthing from what I heard, so I bought the book and CDs and have started listening to the pregnancy relaxation CD. I'm also definitely having a hospital birth, and the hypnotherapy CDs come in different versions - hospital birth being one.

I have an appointment with my midwife on Monday where I'm going to discuss with her what kind of experience I'd like to have and how that works with what her methods generally are. It sounds like your doctor is open-minded and I would think (and hope) that she'll be open to hypnotherapy as well.

I understand what you mean about too much medical intervention - it seems like everyone is either induced, or ends up with a C-section, or both. I'd like to avoid both if possible, and am definitely going to talk to my midwife about it on Monday.

I know you're much further along than I am, but I'd be happy to talk to you about our Natal Hypnotherapy/US hospital birth experience if you decide to do it!

Well, I went ahead with it and ordered the Natal Hypnotherapy set for hospital/birthing center births. I'm going to try it. Plus I really need to get started, as you can see I'm running out of time here to prepare! I'll definitely let you know how it goes, and I can post my birth story - hopefully everything goes well and I get the birth experience I'm hoping for!

EDIT: It seems like the Natal Hypnotherapy will help me, even if I do have to have some interventions. So I think it will be worth it.

No idea how well it will go over since I will only really know my OB and there will be random nurses in and out at the hospital/birthing center. DH and I are going to attend a free hypnobirthing class. I want him to be on par with how it works, because I am not getting a doula and he needs to guide me along the way from what I've seen. Perhaps it can be done alone too, but I keep seeing that it's done with a partner who also needs to understand how it works.

My mom is going to be my birth partner probably. Dh isn't really into that...

I went to my midwife appointment yesterday and talked to her about labor. She said that the midwife group operates like a birthing center within a hospital. She also said that she has worked with a lot of patients who have used hynotherapy/hypnobirthing, so she is familiar with it. There was actually a flier for hypnobirthing classes in the waiting room that I hadn't noticed on my first visit. We also talked about the circumstances under which they use induction methods and what types of induction they use. I'm very much looking forward to working with my midwives and definitely think I made the best choice given the area that I live in.

Also the natal hynotherapy method doesn't emphasize the birth partner as much as hypnobirthing. I am having my OH listen to the CDs with me and read the book, because he is going to be there and I'll feel more comfortable if he knows what's going on so he doesn't distract me. And maybe he can even help relax me, although he is often a basketcase so I'm not sure. I would like to get my mom more involved, but she is living in another state for half the year now.

I'll really just need help with the triggers - touch, etc. And someone to speak for me, like a doula but I can't afford one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->