Hospitalized from Vit. D deficiency?

MImom2be

Recent Mommy~6-13-13!
Reaction score
Is this normal?

Lovely folks at my hospital/ob/gyn practice just sent me a letter stating that my recent bloodwork showed such a vitamin D deficiency, it was recommend I be hospitalized until they get it under control!

Here's what I can't figure out, mind you, it's been a BITTER cold winter, so up until the last week NO ONE has been outside much, especially without a coat, but my prenatal has vitamin D in it, and I do eat/drink foods with D in it, fairly regularly. How could it get SO low that I'm in danger of hospitalization from it?

Second question, is this normal? Do pregnant women usually get hospitalized from a vitamin D deficiency?

Granted, they DID call me in a supplement tonight for 50,000units of Vitamin D, but they STILL want me to come in and check myself in for an extended stay until they can handle it.

I did a LITTLE amount of research and it says a severe deficiency can cause severe joint pain, muscle pain and weakness. So of you may remember I have been to the point of unable to walk for nearly 2 months now, with them saying, "Oh, sorry, we don't know what's possibly wrong" and sending me home in a freakin' wheelchair.

So, anyone else have this happen, or have any opinions?

I'm sorry u have this going on hun.... I live in Australia and I came back vitamin d deficient... They said it wasn't dangerously low so I could just do vitamins... I'd say if they have sent u a letter it would be pretty serious(this happened to me but for iron levels and they were extremely low even though I felt fine) ..... Phone them up and see what they say, they won't put u in hospital unless they feel its necessary...
Take care xxx

^^^wss

i live in aus too and have been on strong vit d supplements since 12 week bloods...

my last bloods they were still low so they said just keep taking them

Thank you so much ladies, both of you!

Thing is, they said they wanted to hospitalize me, but naturally, I have to drive myself in there, and agree to check in.

I don't see why I can't just take these and see if it improves?

I did call them, they agreed I need to be hospitalized, but it doesn't make sense as to why they'd write me the vitamin D script and STILL have me come in, does it?

Some people cannot absorb vitamin D easily, I was also listening to a medical show on the radio here recently and in some cases those with extremely low vitamin D there is some type of underlying cause-usually nothing sinister or untreatable but they may want you to come into hospital just to check this isn't the case. Although it isn't widely publicised in the US, most babies are born with adequate vitamin D stores to last a few months, however in the case of extreme deficiency in the mother they won't be and they could suffer seizures when they are small so the hospital will want to make sure your levels are at least semi-ok by around 32-36 weeks because this is the most critical time for needing optimal stores of vit D to be built up. If your baby is born without these vitamin D stores then the typical 400iu vitamin drops will not be enough and your baby would need IV doses of vitamin D. I know its scary but if possible please go into the hospital xx

Some people cannot absorb vitamin D easily, I was also listening to a medical show on the radio here recently and in some cases those with extremely low vitamin D there is some type of underlying cause-usually nothing sinister or untreatable but they may want you to come into hospital just to check this isn't the case. Although it isn't widely publicised in the US, most babies are born with adequate vitamin D stores to last a few months, however in the case of extreme deficiency in the mother they won't be and they could suffer seizures when they are small so the hospital will want to make sure your levels are at least semi-ok by around 32-36 weeks because this is the most critical time for needing optimal stores of vit D to be built up. If your baby is born without these vitamin D stores then the typical 400iu vitamin drops will not be enough and your baby would need IV doses of vitamin D. I know its scary but if possible please go into the hospital xx

It is totally possible for me to make a visit to the hospital, I just wish my doctors had mentioned something like this, so I didn't have to read it on an internet forum, you know? Sadly, I think most doctors (at least ours in the USA) believe that this kind of thing is common knowledge, and really, it isn't.

Thing is, I am almost 28wks along, that doesn't give me much time to build up any vitamin D the baby needs. I took my first dose tonight, and I'm supposed to take them every 7 days, so next Friday I take my next dose, and each dose is 50,000units (not sure what that means, just what my bottle said) but they did mention they'd be monitoring my blood a LOT more closely if I refused to come in, so to save gas as it's quite a haul out there for weekly blood draws, I'm just going to check in, let them run what they want, and see if we can turn this around quickly.

I do wonder if this will help the excruciating pain I've been in? I know, it's about helping the baby, but momma would like to be able to walk without a wheelchair, ya know? LOL

If its d3 you're taking then levels can be built up very quickly within a few weeks, d2 would take much longer, they can also give you IV vitamin D which is also very effective. 50000 units is probably 50000iu, the typical amount of vit D in a multivitamin is anything from 200 to 1000iu xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->