How accurate is BMI?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I have just downloaded the NHS BMI calculator and it says I'm severely over weight.

I'm 5ft 1" and currently weigh 11st 1lbs.

Before having LO I weighed around 9 stone.

The BMI calculator app says I need to lose 2 stone to be a healthy weight. I knew I was over weight but I wouldn't go as far to say I'm borderline obese!

Are these things accurate? :/

A lot of people say they aren't but for the average person with not all that much muscle mass they're pretty accurate, yeah. I think we have a slightly skewed perception of what is considered overweight and obese nowadays because we see lots of people who really are huge, but actually obese by medical standards isn't what we'd often consider obese to look at someone. This is interesting because it shows what 'obese' can really look like, as well as the other weight categories:https://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/

A lot of people say they aren't but for the average person with not all that much muscle mass they're pretty accurate, yeah. I think we have a slightly skewed perception of what is considered overweight and obese nowadays because we see lots of people who really are huge, but actually obese by medical standards isn't what we'd often consider obese to look at someone. This is interesting because it shows what 'obese' can really look like, as well as the other weight categories:https://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/

That's actually really interesting, alot of the 'obese' were really not that big- makes you think it's becoming more and more the norm for society which is pretty sad.

I'd say that were pretty accurate, mine is 21

Yep this is what my doctor said; unless you weight train/have a lifestyle which means you pack on a lot of muscle (like you're a labourer for example) it is pretty accurate.

Bone structure is a factor you need to consider with BMI which can skew things a little. Assess how big your frame is for your height and take that into account too.

:hugs: I was the same. 11st after giving birth. Got down to 9st 5lb but over Christmas its started creeping back up :dohh:. Its no fun realising you're overweight but knowing means we can get healthy :)

Yes I think it is fairly accurate for adults. I am 5 ft 1 in and I'm overweight at 9 stone 9. I've put on a lot of weight since having the children so I need to get back to about 8 stone to be a healthy weight.

I think it is accurate for me, i have done nothing but sit at a desk and then at a sofa for 5 years. I have no form of muscle so its all fat.

I never went over 7st when I was younger and then I turned 21 and went up to 8 stone and then 9 stone when I got with my now husband :( then went to 13st during pregnancy, back down to 10st and now I'm 11st. It's so frustrating!

People keep telling me I look fine but I feel huge :(

I've just bought some natural hunger suppressants so hopefully I'll be able to try and lose some weight before summer!

Try drinking instead. Hot water with lemon, cold water, cup-a-soups when you're craving something (99 calories), low calorie hot chocolates (40 calories).... Hunger suppressants either don't work or they contain scary ingredients that do work but kind of mess your body up while you're on them.

I think BMI becomes less reliable for extremes of height too - the farther you are away from an average height, the less a big/small frame is taken into account.

The phrase 'works' is a bit of an odd one too - it's only job is to tell you how much you should weigh if you are a certain height. Making it calculate this through a mathematical formula is kind of just making it seem more scientific than it really is. I don't need a formula to tell me I'm fat. My mum manages just fine on her own!

I don't think it's that accurate, but I'm short. I think the results are a bit skewed because of my height.

But anyway, it's just a number. I'm much more worried about body fat %, but that is much harder to determine without expensive equipment.

Try drinking instead. Hot water with lemon, cold water, cup-a-soups when you're craving something (99 calories), low calorie hot chocolates (40 calories).... Hunger suppressants either don't work or they contain scary ingredients that do work but kind of mess your body up while you're on them.

I've tried drinking and it just makes me feel really sick if I'm hungry. The hunger suppressants are a natural remedy so I'm going to give them a try.

I'm 4ft 11 and it says I should be between 6st 8lb and 8st 13lb. I have an incredible amount to lose :(

Hate BMI.

I'm 5 foot 7 and wear a size 14-16 but as I'm 14 stone I'm obese. I don't feel obese!

BMI is a load of bollocks.

Everyone's got muscles, you wouldn't be able to move if you didn't. Not to mention organs and bone mass, blood, skin, water weight etc etc.

According to that "bmi chart" I'm morbidly obese. OK then?

For me, I personally don't think it's accurate. According to the chart, to be bang in the middle of the healthy range I should lose 3 stone...now I am 5'9" & a size 12-14 so I wouldn't say I need to lose THAT much....ok I could probably do with losing around a stone, but certainly not 3!

I'm 5'6" and wear a size 10 but according to that BMI chart I'm overweight! The nurse at my doctors practice said that less and less importance is being attached to it because it is so hit and miss.

For me, I personally don't think it's accurate. According to the chart, to be bang in the middle of the healthy range I should lose 3 stone...now I am 5'9" & a size 12-14 so I wouldn't say I need to lose THAT much....ok I could probably do with losing around a stone, but certainly not 3!

Yeah it says I need to lose 2-3 stone too. I'm only small though and if I lose 3 stone I'd probably look ill :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->