How at risk is my son?

LulaBug

Mum of 6
Reaction score
Me and my son's dad split in January and I since moved back in with my mum.
The problem is, is that my mum has Hepatitis C and takes injectible Methadone, not every day, but every couple of days.

Now while my mum would not be taking her Methadone with my son there and would keep her "medication" hidden away out of Ethan's way, my son's dad is complaining about the fact that I want Ethan to come and stay for my time with him, at my mums.

I feel incredibly restricted, my time with Ethan seems to be supervised all the time, I can't do the things I want to do with him in the sparce time I have with him and I feel completely resentful of the fact that I can't have him stay with me.

Is my son at risk of contracting the Hep C virus if he comes to stay or would it be fine for him to come and stay as long as my mum has a designated area in which she would have to keep sterile or even do it in her room so that if there were any drops of blood that should spill when injecting, he wouldn't be at risk of it?

I'm not wanting to put my son at risk due to her Hep C nor am I wanting to make it common knowledge as to what my mum does with regards to her Methadone but I want my time with my son spent with me, at my home, doing the things I want to do without feeling like his dad gets the best of both worlds by seeing him all the time including during my time.

Please tell me there is a way around this because I want my son with me. I'm seriously depressed about this.

As long as your son doesn't have any open wounds and isn't around needles etc the risk of him contracting hepC should be low, I think the difficulty would be in keeping him safe from needles, even if your mum was in her room it's possible he may wander in there, it is also your mums house so would she be willing to only use in her room? It would be especially difficult if you have your son overnight to confine home to one sterile area. If you see him for a day at a time and nit overnight would it be possible to take him to a friends house or out to a park? If it were me that would probably be my preferred option to be honest. I hope you manage to work something out though it sounds like you are in a difficult position.

My mum is willing to stay in one room, her room, to do her thing and she'd even go so far as to lock it if necessary to make sure he doesn't go in but even if he did, all of her things to do with that would be out of the way.

It's just so frustrating. I know I shouldn't feel angry with my mum, but a part of me does because if it wasn't for the situation she's in, he could come and stay with me. It's hard not to feel a bit of resentment and I feel awful about it. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->