How big is your baby's stomach?

xpatchx

Wife, Mummy and pregnant!
Reaction score
My daughter is almost 19 months old, and has always had a big stomach. Her weight is fine, but she's beginning to look very swollen in her tummy.
I measured it today and it is 22 inches around - and her 12-24 month clothes are huge everywhere else, but don't even fit her stomach!! Is this normal? My health visitor didn't seem bothered about it, but I'm wondering whether I should just get it checked, just in case?

Is it uncomfortable or painful for her? I'd maybe keep an eye on it, and if she's in any discomfort go and get a second opinion. I know my nephews always had a bit of a belly just before they shot up in height, and my LO seems the same. Maybe she'll stretch out again in a couple of weeks?

I hope so! She doesn't seem in pain until she tries to poop, then she has a bit of a struggle, but she always has done. I have IBS so I know the feeling she gets, but it seems to pass quickly.
She also has a lot of funny noises come out of her tummy on a regular basis. She actually points and goes "Ohhh!!" when it does, cause it likes, creaks! I might make a dr's appointment anyway and get it checked. 22 inches is quite big for a baby's belly, considering the rest of her is skinny! xx

If you're not happy with something - go get her checked out. It never hurts to ask the question :)

It depends; some kids have weak stomach muscles but if her tummy feels hard or looks really bloated it could be an allergy or intolerance of some type. My second youngest had a huge belly up until quite recently, to the extent it even pushed his ribs outwards, he also had problems with constipation and diarrhoea-when he was a baby he had food intolerances and/or allergies but we never found out for sure what was causing the problem. We decided to try cutting out dairy from his diet as dairy allergies do run in the family and a bloated tummy is a symptom some other children in the family (including my youngest) had. Then if it worked when we went to the GP we would be able to say we tried it; rather than go there, have them suggest it, try it, have to go back again and so on and so forth. It worked amazingly well and his tummy went right down-his tummy is almost flat now so his tummy being like santa was obviously not right for him. We have now reintroduced small amounts of dairy back into his diet and he is fine. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->