How can I get through xmas this year? Ideas?

tiggerpony

Reaction score
Ok first things first, I'm not looking for the sympathy vote here; I genuinley need some ideas or perhaps is anyone else in same situation as me?

Me and my hubby and my 13 week old baby live together. We are not POOR as such........ but we can only just afford food and baby stuff (nappies, formula etc) but am dreading this year for xmas as I litally have no spare money to buy anyone anything. I don't feel to bad for KLO as she will only just be over 4 months old and not understand. I feel bad this is my first xmas with baby and it's ruined by the fact I don't even know if we can afford a tree! Does anyone have any ideas on what I could get people for xmas presents? Including my hubby who isn't expecting anything from me...Or is anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing?

Thanks x

ps -I am not entiled to any benefits other than child benefit - they say my husband earns "too much"... but we barely get by on it cos of all the debt we have and debt is mounting up. Getting a part time job isn't an option for me at the mo' as I am awaiting quite serious surgery to repair the 4th degree tear that never healed properley from the birth of my baby.

Crafty homemade bits are amazingly popular at the moment, if you can knit then that would be amazing for doing gifts. I'm a single mum on IS and I buy most of my kids bits 2nd hand, I got a lot of stuff at bootsales in the summer (good tip for next year).

You could do some saltdough decorations for family members, pound shop do some great bits.

Also freecyle is great if you sign up to your local one. on my one people are always giving away christmas trees and toys. xx

Could you raise some cash by eBaying some stuff you no longer need? Your clothes? LO's newborn clothes? Kitchen stuff? DVDs? Anything!

How about making some chutney, fudge, jam or something like that and packaging it up really nicely? We are pretty skint too and I am making silk painted bags and cushion covers but I already have the paints and they are a bit pricey to buy. You could use old clothes or off cuts from fabric shops though and make bags, make up cases or cushion covers in bright fabrics.

How about giving a pic of lo? Or buy a small pot of children's paint and make foot/handprints of lo.
Otherwise have you got anything you can recycle or sell? I would also double check that you have exhausted all avenues of financial help as there are a few people on here been told conflicting information , maybe try citizens advice.

Check out charity shops ..
Iv bought one of my friends baby her Xmas gifts from them .. All with tags on aswel so she would never know ..
Got her a coat, booties and some pram shoes .. All for £3.50
And I got my mums dog a place mat for 50p .. As the dog is part of the family! Lol

Also is it possible to speak to the companies you owe money to about fixing/ reducing your payments? That might help stop them mounting up x

i was gonna suggest asking the companies u owe money to if u can reduce ur payments for a period of time? worth a try.

We couldn't afford much for presents this year either, we told all our friends that we are not buying for each other, cut down massively on family, we have 9 nephews and a niece between us! We are only buying something small for each other and I used my boots advantage card points and tesco club card voucher exchange for LOs presents, we got £40 worth of elc toys for him from boots and £30 using the double up thing on tesco, to be honest I don't think he'll notice either, he'll be 10 months old, I already know he will enjoying crunching the wrapping paper more!! I've bought most of lo's things so far from car boots, charity shops and gratefully received donations from friends who all had babies a year before me, we have saved a fortune and he hasn't missed out at all because it hasn't been new, oddly enough, his favourite toys are anything he's not 'supposed' have such as my plastic kitchen bowls, wooden spoon etc. I've also made him a treasure basket for Xmas, google it, babies love them as they are full of interesting textures and don't look like the usual toys, hope you have a fantastic Christmas, I know it's easier said than done but just cherish your first Christmas together, whatever you do or spend, it doesn't matter xxxxx

I've spoken to a lot of friends and family and found a lot of people are in the same boat so.we have agreed not to do presents and just to get together to spend time together. With those with children we have said we'll by the children something small. Last year my friends and I did a secret Santa so we each only had to buy 1 present.

I cant afford presents this year either. So I decided Jaxon first, he's got loads I got dirt cheap on clearence sales (Love clearence). As for OH im getting him a very expensive concert ticket (Roger Waters "the Wall"). He was might upset he couldnt see David Gilmore last year, so Im bucking up and putting this ticket on my credit card. he doenst know about it yet, but I think he'll be suprised and happy. As for me I told him not to bother. For our mothers Im buying a bag of dunkin donuts coffee (with coupons I'll get it for like 3 dollars each) and having Jaxon's picture put on a coffee mug that says "I love you this much"

Not sure if you guys have dollar stores around, but you could get some nice containers, bake some cookies and attach a really personalized card thanking them for whatever they've done for you this year or just why you appreciate their friendship.
I'd always rather have a "personal" thought-out gift than some $20 piece of junk someone just threw some paper on just because it's a certain day of the year.

I'm in the same boat hun...we are just getting by, but I've been picking up bits here and there for a couple of months when on offer because I knew come Christmas, I would be struggling to buy gifts not only for my son, but also for my 4 nieces and nephews, in which case, I haven't been able to get them anything yet :( That being said, I agree with what others have mentioned, how about something homemade? When we were quite small, my Mom made us Christmas ornaments with gingerbread and tree cookie molds, she personalized them for us with our names and we had those ornaments for like 25 years, but with time, sadly most of them broke :( But we LOVED them and they were so dear to us for all those years and cost my Mom hardly nothing to make. To be honest, I'm not sure what she filled the mold with, surely it couldn't have been cookie mix as they were hard and kept all those years, but maybe you could look online for some cheap or free gifts, I'm sure there are loads online, and remember, sometimes, it's the creative and gifts made with love that are treasured the most xx

I cant afford presents this year either. So I decided Jaxon first, he's got loads I got dirt cheap on clearence sales (Love clearence). As for OH im getting him a very expensive concert ticket (Roger Waters "the Wall"). He was might upset he couldnt see David Gilmore last year, so Im bucking up and putting this ticket on my credit card. he doenst know about it yet, but I think he'll be suprised and happy. As for me I told him not to bother. For our mothers Im buying a bag of dunkin donuts coffee (with coupons I'll get it for like 3 dollars each) and having Jaxon's picture put on a coffee mug that says "I love you this much"

My Husband would LOVE to see Roger Waters!! Such a fab gift!!:thumbup:

I do baked goods for friends and family. I make a lot of cookies and some candies (fudge etc.) and put them in Christmas tins (I can get them cheap at the Dollar store) :)

Everyone Is Getting pics of lo :). My oh has 4 siblings and I have 2 and eight nieces/nephews. We decided to just get for kids and brought them little gifts from wilkos/£1 land.

How about making some chutney, fudge, jam or something like that and packaging it up really nicely? We are pretty skint too and I am making silk painted bags and cushion covers but I already have the paints and they are a bit pricey to buy. You could use old clothes or off cuts from fabric shops though and make bags, make up cases or cushion covers in bright fabrics.

We are making Chutney and Jam this year as we will just complete on our new house before Xmas. Its nightmare timing, but everyone will understand.

I know it doesnt make xmas the same, but xmas trees r loads cheaper AFTER xmas u could buy one after and put it up 4 a few weeks (then next year when lo is bigger u will have a xmas tree 4 her :) also buying loads of decorations then) in the meantime make ur own paper chains etc, If u have 2 give family prezzies im sure a pic of lo and a picture drawn by her (with help of course) will be enough.
Im sure u must be entited 2 somthing more??? id double check, not working tax creds or nething? (ebay and homebargains!!) xx

sometimes the trees go on sale before xmas too if they are overstocked or not selling...

also ebay, freecycle, gumtree etc worth trying

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->