How can I lose weight whilst breastfeeding?

EmmaFTM

Reaction score
I've been feeding my little girl since birth and she is now seven months old. I fed my eldest girl until she was 13 months old and put on about a stone during that time as I was too worried about doing lots of strenuous exercise as I read that it can affect your milk, and I ate well as, when I didn't, my supply dropped. Feeding is extremely important to me but I'm getting to the stage that my weight is getting me down (I have about 2 stone to lose to be happy), I just wondered what everyone else is doing to lose weight whilst breast feeding??

My family eat fairly healthily but night time snacking is my downfall! X

I followed slimming world with my dd1 and am now doing it again. They have a special guide for bf mommies. I lost 3 stone with dd1 between 6 and 13 months bf on demand the whole time. This time I've lost a stone in 2 months since dd2 was 5 months. I feel better for it and don't think it's affected my supply

I followed slimming world with my dd1 and am now doing it again. They have a special guide for bf mommies. I lost 3 stone with dd1 between 6 and 13 months bf on demand the whole time. This time I've lost a stone in 2 months since dd2 was 5 months. I feel better for it and don't think it's affected my supply

I did slimming world once before, ages ago before I have children and it worked so I may have to look into that again! Thanks for your reply and well done for losing so much weight! X

My baby is only two weeks old now, but it seems like breastfeeding alone has helped me lose weight (although I can't say for sure, since I refuse to look at the scale. I look visibly smaller though). I'm back into my size six jeans again, and immediately after her birth I had been up to a size twelve. I think I've been forgetting to eat enough too though, because I'm just so distracted with taking care of a new baby. I don't know for sure, but I think it's a combination of breastfeeding and taking in fewer calories (as opposed to gorging myself like I did whilst pregnant).

You burn an extra 500 calories per day breastfeeding. If you figure out based on your weight and activity level what your body's normal caloric needs are and ONLY consume that many calories (as opposed to the 500 extra you are burning) you should start losing weight slowly but steadily from breastfeeding alone...without exercise. And consuming that many calories shouldn't make your supply go down. Be sure to drink lots of water and breastfeed on demand. If you ever miss a session, pump so you keep your supply up. And light exercise such as walking every day shouldn't hurt your supply. I know it's different for everyone but theoretically you should be able to lose weight doing only this!

Agree with literari. I've gained 22 kg during pregnancy and lost 15 a month pp (demand bf+walking around the house to help her sleep ;)). 4 months pp, I only have 2 more kg to lose. If you're bf and eating healthy, cutting on the snacks might just do the trick!

I joined Slimming World last week to help me lose weight, I have quite a lot to lose so dont think BF alone will be enough for me. I have done SW before and find it quite easy to follow, whilst BF you get a few extras to make sure you're eating enough and your supply is not affected. I am honestly struggling to eat as much as I'm supposed to so I guess maybe I wasn't eating enough before, well enough of the right foods anyway lol.

I have my first weigh in in Thursday so hoping for a good loss!

X

I'm doing the new weight watchers plan (called Filling & Healthy) and it's incredible.

No limit on amounts you can eat and no portion weighing etc. So perfect for BFing.

I've lost 14.5lb in 6 weeks so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->