How can pumping 120 mL/day possibly be worth it?

Fizzyfefe

Mama and pregnant with #2
Reaction score
That's right. Milliliters, not ounces. My body sucks and doesn't work properly and I hate it.

This is just a rant, really. My baby boy is three weeks old and only gets one bottle of breast milk a day. On rare occasions, I have pumped enough for him to have two bottles. Considering he eats up to ten times a day, I feel like all this isn't even worth it.

If I pump every three hours, I get approximately 10 mL. If I pump every four hours, I get approximately 20 to 30 mL. How stupid is my body that I get more milk pumping less often? :(

I have tried pretty much everything to boost my supply. I take fenugreek and eat lactation cookies and drown myself in water and massage my breasts and nothing helps. The lactation consultant said it was because I have hormonal issues (thyroid and PCOS). My nipples are so tender and I just want to give it up.

I will never produce enough to exclusively feed my son breast milk, and it kills me. My plan from the beginning was to exclusively breast feed, but I was starving him in the hospital and had to give him formula.

Seriously, is it even worth it in the end?

Hi, just a quick message to say that it is worth it. Your baby is still so young so your body hasn't adjusted to how much milk you need yet. You sound so disheartened. I didn't try expressing until my baby was about 8 weeks old and I remember not getting much at all at first. It was not easy but it definitely got better with time and the more I fed baby the more milk came in. But when I first started expressing I'd never get more than a couple of ounces, I just had to give it time. I hope you continue if that's what you want to do. :flower:

Pumping isn't as effective as nursing directly, is there a reason you can't put your LO directly on the breast instead of pumping? Feeding your LO as often as possible is really the best way to build your supply.

Thanks, Mixem. I do feel very disheartened; that's the perfect word to describe my feelings. I hope my supply increases but it honestly hasn't gone up since the first week. I religiously keep track of how much I pump and it has never been more than 34 mL.

Staralfur, I know nursing is best, but he will not latch on me. He also doesn't suck properly (he tucks in his lower lip and bites down instead of flanging his lips and sucking). He does the same thing to artificial nipples. I met with lactation consultants many times and it never helped. Either he won't latch, or he will try but then can't/won't suck. I've also tried a shield to no avail. I still try to get him on the breast every day, but it's still the same struggle.

No advice for you hun as many ladies have already offered suggestions and you seem to be doing all that you can to increase your supply. I just hope that things start looking up for you.

What pump do you have?
I only ask as I'm exclusively bf and with my old pump (tommee tippee) I would only be able to get 1oz, maybe 2 at a push, this was the same up until my baby was 14 weeks and I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

I ordered a new Breast pump (medela) while it was on offer and now can pump anywhere between 3-5 oz!

Also I found that I had to stimulate my Breast if I let down and then put the pump on otherwise sometimes Id get literally just drops with the old pump!

I understand how frustrating it is! 3 weeks is still very early, it takes a good 6-8 weeks to regulate supply so you will need to keep pumping every 2-3 hours to build up your supply. Hope this helps, good luck xxx

If it's making you very unhappy and ruining your time with your baby, then no, it isn't worth it. A confident and comfortable mum is far more important for your baby than breast milk. Yes, babies thrive on breast milk. But they also thrive on formula.

This time is so short in the grand scheme of things - it's important not to waste it, but also not to be ruled by it. When your son leaves for university or moves into his first home, will your pride and happiness still be tainted by the fact that you couldn't breastfeed him? It's very unlikely. But when you look back on his babyhood, do you want to remember it as a happy time, or a time ridden with anxiety and guilt?

I say this because unfortunately I'll be one of the ones who will look back on a babyhood during which I was desperately unhappy and constantly stressed and worried. I've struggled to breastfeed my daughter through frequent and consistent nursing strikes, an undiagnosed tongue tie and latching/positioning issues due to her size and anatomy. Only after seven long months did it truly begin to get better, and now things ARE ok. Not great, but ok, and that's probably the best we will manage. I'm proud of myself for somehow carrying on, but when I look back, was it worth it?

No.

If I had a similar experience with a second child, would I keep breastfeeding?

No.

I'm sorry you are encountering such horrible problems. Feeling like you can't do something that should be so natural and which everyone else seems to be so amazing at is truly, truly awful.

Only you can decide what the best course of action is, but whatever you pick, it will surely be done out of love and consideration - and to be honest, those two things are far more important than anything else.

:hugs:

I agree with meep. Some times the stress outweighs the benifits.

It is early days so it could improve. Equally it could not and obviously formula is a brilliant substitute.

Good luck which ever you choose you can't say you didn't try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->