How did you make it through the NICU?

Thank you Vermeil. I find myself getting mad at myself versus anyone else. I look at the Moms who have come in around similar times, facing multiple surgeries, and I get angry with myself for complaining at all. We are so blessed that our little girl has done so well, I have nothing to complain about.

On the bright side, it looks like our time has arrived. Taylor is scheduled to go home on Thursday :yipee:

Thinking of you all, it must be so hard... I found it hard enough with Joe being incubated for a week. sending you all big hugs xxxxxxxx

Hi AuntBug! We have been home from the NICU for a month tomorrow. LO was in their for 4 months so we can certainly sympathize. We stayed at a Ronald Mcdonald House since the hospital was about an hour from home. If you are away from the NICU I would try to do this. It gave us some piece of mind. As for making it through. Get into a routine if possible. I was there 3 times a day for feedings and touch times. I did not sit by her bed between feedings when we weren't supposed to hold her. I did this once and it was very depressing, I don't reccomend it. If your nicu has support groups, go to them. It helps to talk to others in your NICU and you will see these same parents throughout your stay. Talk to friends on the phone or in person regularly about anything but your baby. Document the experience too. We set up a facebook for our LO. Our friends and family followed her throughout her stay. They have told us taht even though they weren't able to meet her (and many still can't) they feel like they know her. We posted an update in her voice everyday and posted pics each day. This was also a good way for us to unwind at the end of the day. Getting a hobby and prepping your LO's room are also great ways to keep your mind off the yucky NICU. Also, ask questions, the longer you are there and the more you know, the less overwhelming it is. Finally, contact Graham's Foundation for a care package. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->