How did you pick your OB? Pregnancy Doctor? Midwife?

M

massacubano

I was wondering how you selected your ob / gyn or pregnancy Doctor? Did insurance or the health care system choose one for you? Did you look one up? or have a friend tell you who was good?

Well here family doctors can deliver babies.. mine doesn't, but my boyfriend's doctor is part of the same practice.. and she's delivering baby! Since it's all covered by OHIP (not private insurance or anything) the transition was smooth & I didn't have any paperwork to fill out past the initial forms with all my medical history, religious information, employer information, education, etc.

Well here family doctors can deliver babies.. mine doesn't, but my boyfriend's doctor is part of the same practice.. and she's delivering baby! Since it's all covered by OHIP (not private insurance or anything) the transition was smooth & I didn't have any paperwork to fill out past the initial forms with all my medical history, religious information, employer information, education, etc.

I was delivered by our family doctor. Mostly in smaller towns in the states they have a doctor who does deliver babies in addition to the practice of colds and stuff. This is how it was going to be with my eldest. But, I moved (rather ran away from living with Mom) and found an obgyn who would take me on at 7 months! :)

You get to choose ! over where I am your given who you get and when your in labour delivering its who ever is working. I have met about 5 midwives who do my area and its who ever is on that comes out. Hospital is whoever. Was always like this.

You get to choose ! over where I am your given who you get and when your in labour delivering its who ever is working. I have met about 5 midwives who do my area and its who ever is on that comes out. Hospital is whoever. Was always like this.

I know it is quite confusing. I am still learning how things are done in over there across the pond *lol* and up in Canada.

We have insurances in the states and it is all depending on who is paying and what they cover! Low income heath care is often but not always given the lower end of services and by far less options. Good insurance offers many things. No insurance is bad news, you have to find the least expensive route, be it a safe one.

Now we usually in the US have a few options for birth.

*A midwife under the direction of a Doctor. (I had this with my daughter)
midwives can do home births or in hospital, it all depends on who you see.

*A family Doctor who does child birth as well as other care.
(I was born this way)

*An OBGYN (Doctor) who does both pregnancy and other care of the reproductive organs in practice.

*OB which is only to do child birth and pregnancy care.

Most of them are hospital only. However in cases of emergency many times a Doctor on call in the hospital would deliver the baby if your "primary care" was not available in time.

HTH ;)

Ah but then we have the NHS and not private health care, (which I would have if they had private hospitals here) but its whatever your delt. They have you out really quick here, bit like a factory production lol

Ah but then we have the NHS and not private health care, (which I would have if they had private hospitals here) but its whatever your delt. They have you out really quick here, bit like a factory production lol

Here we have health care that is funded by our taxes, it's basic though. It gets you to a doctor and such but things such as going to the dentist, eye doctor, etc. require 'extended health coverage' which is essentially the benefits you receive from your employer ($$ is deducted from each pay to cover this).. anyways!! I've heard awful stories about people not getting surgeries, etc. they need in the States due to lack of insurance.. that doesn't really happen here; from my understanding it's only prescriptions and 'non-essential' things that aren't covered by the government health care..

BTW we usually get 1 night in the hospital, I think 5 days for a C-section.. assuming there are no complications for mum or baby.

I was very curious about this NHS. I hear it spoken of so much in thread and just am clueless what to say.

I also noticed you gals over there sure get out of the hospital fast! I was like WOW how can she be posting a birth story already!

See in the states they used to ship the woman in and out of the hospitals because the "insurance" system was very flawed (still is). The insurance companies did not want to pay for long stays. So, it went into law in 1998 for longer stays. Now for myself it has always been 48 hours after baby is born you are released unless baby or Mom has health reasons to stay longer and c-section is usually more time.

a good read on US heath care and the 1998 law:
https://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1568/is_/ai_53747408

Here we have health care that is funded by our taxes, it's basic though. It gets you to a doctor and such but things such as going to the dentist, eye doctor, etc. require 'extended health coverage' which is essentially the benefits you receive from your employer ($$ is deducted from each pay to cover this).. anyways!! I've heard awful stories about people not getting surgeries, etc. they need in the States due to lack of insurance.. that doesn't really happen here; from my understanding it's only prescriptions and 'non-essential' things that aren't covered by the government health care..

I envy the heath system in Canada. :) I think you are more advanced than the US in many ways.

Now, in the US if you have low income you get free healthcare! The dental is very limited for adults however. But, for example my son has a medication that costs 250 USD a month for 30 pills! if we had medicaid he would get the exact script free of cost. I know this is true because they scripted me it once. When I had medicaid.

So, you can only imagine that a family with "too much" money by meaning of what is on your paycheck each month before taxes. Gets refused free care, you have to go into insurance companies with who you work for if lucky. So, OH has a very large chunk taken out each month and we do co-pay. Seeing a Doctor is 35 or 45 dollars.... the MRI was 250 dollars co-pay... on top of paying them each month. Plus, another amount is taken for his dental insurance.

Almost puts you with no food on the table by the end of the month and being poor almost looks like an easier route. Since then you would have food stamps (free money each month for food on a EBT card) and be poor but not starving!

Ah well sleeping in a bed tonight. So, it can not be all that bad. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->