How did you push?

maddog37

Reaction score
For those who had children before, how did you push?

I'm getting nervous. With DS, I tried to push with sound (open throat). The doctor told me it wasn't effective. I eventually pushed with a tightly closed throat once I heard them saying the baby's heart rate was dropping. The pushing stage was 20 minutes which is considered fast. I can't imagine pushing like that for hours like some women.

I hated the closed throat pushing. I want to avoid it if possible this time. But I'm not sure how else to push.

Advice and suggestions? TIA:flower:

I pushed silently. It seems to me that having to focus on my throat would be distracting? And I only pushed 2 times to get him out. Chin to chest, hard push, bam, baby. Lol. I'm hoping for an equally easy birth this time around.

I pushed silently also, but I was pushing for a long time and it ended up in forceps. I'm really, really hoping that doesn't happen this time round.

I agree silent worked for me last time 1push the head 2nd the rest took less than 5 mins ! Found I could concentrate better with mouth shut . Xx

Silent here too, I thought they encourage silence as noise takes up more energy?

With my first I made a mooing sound for a lot of the pushing. My MW told me to try not to as making noise diverts your energy from pushing. When I stopped making noise I don't remember it helping the pushing, but I had quite a large LO who got a bit stuck, so pushing wasn't going to be easy. I pushed for 2 hours. With my DD I don't remember making noise except at the end when she got stuck and it got really sore. I only pushed for 14 minutes with my 2nd.

Don't think I made any noise. Had no reason to. Not like I was in pain or anything as I had an epidural :)

Silently for me too. Both were long pushing stages. Ds#1 ended with suction assistance and ds#2 was natural but both ended with me screaming/panting "I can't" during the last two-three pushes.

with DS1, from what I remember I made alot of noise (even with the epidural), it lasted almost 2 hours, forceps delivery, and doctor cut me.

with DS2, I started to make noise on first push, was told not to, and so I pushed silently, and he was out in 3 pushes total. No forceps, no tear/cut.

Silent, and push like you're popping. Tmi I know. But I used to watch this show maternity ward, and this nurse told a lady on there to push like she was pooping, so that is what I did. Both times my babies came out smooth and quick. The first was 10-15 minutes from the first push and the second was like 7 minutes. That included the time they had me pause for whatever they do when the baby's head comes out.

With dd2 my doc told me that the baby was measuring to be about 10 lbs. And he said I need to push HARD and with all my energy or they would have to take measures such as forceps, suction, or emergency c- Section. I was terrified by the thought of my baby getting stuck. So I pushed (silently) with all of my might. I pushed so hard that when baby was out my whole body trembled like I was getting electrocuted. With dd1 I moaned once and my doc looked at me like I had 2 heads And said don't do that, you are not pushing correctly if you're making that noise. I felt stupid after that and well never forget it. That was 15 years ago. Things may have changed since then?? But I think I will be silent during this birth as well.

Silent apart from the end as it was very long pushing phase and needed ventouse assistance which was somewhat shocking ;-) tote badly but overall not a bad experience, hoping to be able to do it assistance free this time:thumbup: x

Making low mooing sounds. It was totally instinctual in the end but it's also what my hypnobirthing antenatal classes suggested. Low pitched sounds are good, high pitched ones aren't.

Push how you want! Unless youve had an epi and cant feel i thing, push how and when you feel like it and dont push on command to a doc or midwife.

This is your birth dont forget that. I honestly cant remember how i was whwn pushing, my full mind was to fixed on the 'signals' i was getting and just went with it.

Chin to chest and silent pushing (with some grunts possibly!). Both labours very quick second stages :thumbup:

Pushed like I was pooping for about three hours. (Water birth and hands were up over face). Mostly silent with some grunting and maybe faint low moans. What I hated was changing positions to try and get baby out. Every time I would move it would bring on a contraction and I liked the resting periods lol but the position changing around is what worked him out and I didn't tear at all.

My midwife (who was absolutely amazing) told me to hold my breath while I pushed. She also watched how I was contracting and told me when to continue and when to hold it so that I would have time to stretch. I pushed for 20 mins and didn't tear.

I was told off for holding my breath but i genuinely couldn't push without doing that. Mind you the labour was so long when it came to pushing I really couldn't feel when was best so i just Pushed like pooing when the midwife said to.

I had swollen face, broken veins and blood shot eyes for days afterwards from pushing as hard as I could. I was generally silent except when I screamed like I was being murdered as I had episiotomy without any pain relief. They removed the gas and air 2 hours before as they thought it was slowing down. By the time LO was pulled out by ventouse i'd been pushing over 4 hours

I pushed silently but made a sound letting go of the push at the end, mostly from lack of breath lol.

The dr was telling me to push while holding my breath but i didn't want to burst blood vessels in my face (why in the world did I care at that point???). So I would take a deep breath in and lightly blow out air as i pushed. I pushed 13 minutes and he was out. I tore pretty badly, but I just wanted to be done....

I'm exhausted remembering. And bless every one of you who had to push for hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->