How did you push?

I was fairly quiet, pushed really hard and held it rather than relaxed when I had to/was told to stop/pant so he didn't shoot back inside. Seemed to work pushing didn't take long at all.
Xx

I've always pushed silently and like I was pooping. My longest push session was 20 min, and that was my first.

Maybe I'm an anomaly but I yelled through my pushing this time and it worked great for me...he was out after 6 pushes! My previous birth the head nurse scolded me for yelling and made me be silent during pushing which wasn't any more productive and I hated it. I say go with what feels natural. If it isn't working for you then try something else :)

Yelling or making noise wasn't really effective for me cause you're kind of letting the force of the push out. I tried as best I could to push silently with chin on chest. I still pushed for two hours but if I'd made noise the whole time he never would have been born lol

i believe open mouth pushin dosent focus all energy on pushing. I think i did closed an only took couple pushes ie was standing 6.20am an got on bed an my daughter born 6.28am. Son was forceps but they did 15min call he had come out now.

1st - silent, with chin down / gritted teeth. I pushed for 5 hours and ended up with a spinal in theatre for a forceps delivery.

2nd - moaning like an animal with the odd squeal. I was pushing against the water sac so found it tough going. Pushing lasted 33mins and he came out within 5mins of the waters going. The moaning was instinctive.

I am silent through contractions though.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm sorry I didn't come back here for days. Somehow having a preschooler makes being in front of a computer impossible.

I guess the consensus is push silently. I'll try not to concentrate on the throat, but I find it hard, as it's also my first anxiety symptom (severe perinatal anxiety last time, so the tight throat feeling during childbirth made my anxiety worse).

It's just confusing, because so many natural birth techniques seem to say relaxed throat means relaxed pelvis sphincter. My hypnobaby book seemed to say to breathe out "ahhh" while pushing. On Youtube, hypnobirth people seem to say use the J breath, which makes a sound too it seems.

Guess I'll stick with the tried and true, and hope it's fast this time too.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm sorry I didn't come back here for days. Somehow having a preschooler makes being in front of a computer impossible.

I guess the consensus is push silently. I'll try not to concentrate on the throat, but I find it hard, as it's also my first anxiety symptom (severe perinatal anxiety last time, so the tight throat feeling during childbirth made my anxiety worse).

It's just confusing, because so many natural birth techniques seem to say relaxed throat means relaxed pelvis sphincter. My hypnobaby book seemed to say to breathe out "ahhh" while pushing. On Youtube, hypnobirth people seem to say use the J breath, which makes a sound too it seems.

Guess I'll stick with the tried and true, and hope it's fast this time too.

That's really interesting! And makes me feel better :haha: I did hypnobirthing for my birth and my yells were very loud aaahhh's. I also have anxiety (health anxiety in particular which doesn't help) and found natal hypnotherapy made me so much calmer during the whole birth process. I highly recommend it :)

I didn't push silently although my ob was telling me not to. I was grunting loudly and it was instinctive. couldn't push without it, and I pushed like I was going to poop. I actually had epidural but felt immense pressure from baby's head. but it did take me a while to figure out how to push though...but once I did it was fast.

Oh goodness. Open throat/closed throat? I have no idea. I had an epidural, so couldn't feel a lot that was going on. But I know I was quiet the whole time, and pushed for about an hour before baby came out.

Like I said, I couldn't feel much, but a friend had told me to push as though I was going poop, so that's what I tried to do. Apparently it worked, as baby came out without much trouble.

I pushed silently but on the last few pushes I made some noises although not screaming. I had an epidural but I imagine without that I would've made a lot more noise!

That's really interesting! And makes me feel better :haha: I did hypnobirthing for my birth and my yells were very loud aaahhh's. I also have anxiety (health anxiety in particular which doesn't help) and found natal hypnotherapy made me so much calmer during the whole birth process. I highly recommend it :)

Ok! So it's not like I'm reading the books incorrectly. :flower:

I tried listening to hypnobirth stuff last time, and different types of hypnosis over the last few years. Perhaps due to childhood issues, but hypnosis makes me really anxious and angry for days after doing it. I've been told it has something to do with feeling out of control or being told what to do.:shrug: Too bad because I think it helped make my last labour faster. Maybe I'll just listen to guided meditation which achieves a similar type of relaxation without all the anger coming up.

And last time I had an epidural too, but my body doesn't take in anesthesia well, so I still felt a lot of pain. Not even sure how much of the pain was numbed.

Ok! So it's not like I'm reading the books incorrectly. :flower:

I tried listening to hypnobirth stuff last time, and different types of hypnosis over the last few years. Perhaps due to childhood issues, but hypnosis makes me really anxious and angry for days after doing it. I've been told it has something to do with feeling out of control or being told what to do.:shrug: Too bad because I think it helped make my last labour faster. Maybe I'll just listen to guided meditation which achieves a similar type of relaxation without all the anger coming up.

And last time I had an epidural too, but my body doesn't take in anesthesia well, so I still felt a lot of pain. Not even sure how much of the pain was numbed.

You poor dear :hugs: I'm sorry hypnosis has that effect on you. Sounds like a guided meditation may be a better option for you. Ultimately, if you can get into a relaxed state during labour you will do great no matter how you achieve it. It makes everything, including the pain, much more manageable. At least in my own experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->