How do I get LO to take water?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by blinkybaby, Jun 3, 2011.

1. blinkybaby

blinkybaby Well-Known Member

1st question - does he actually need water at this age apart from the water in his milk?

I think he does, because he always poo's less when the weather is warm and hasn't gone for 2 days when usually it's every day.

I tried to give him a couple of ounces in a bottle yesterday but he wasn't having any of it.

2nd question - How do I get him to take it?

Thanks guys xxx

2. jstarr

jstarr Well-Known Member

Yes when the weather is warm giving some water is advised so you're right, maybe try different temperatures? My lo likes warmish water more than cold, there are baby juices from 4months that you could add a small ammount of to the water to make it taste nicer but i don't know how you feel about juice, not sure if i would have given it at 4 months but its up to you :)

3. von_eva

von_eva Member

Eva didnt like water to start with, I used to give her it when she was starting to get hungry (often got a wee angry look when she realised it wasnt milk!) I used to warm it through to the same temp as milk. I persevered and now she takes it. The HV advised me to give her water as she was sometimes constipated at about 3 months. She is 5 months now and I give her 1-2 oz per day.

4. blinkybaby

blinkybaby Well-Known Member

OK so I guess it's just a case of keep trying? Do you ladies give water in the same bottle as you give them their milk or should I buy a special thing for giving water? xx

5. charli87

charli87 Chloes Mummy

best to try a sippy cup for water, tbh free flow are the best as it gets them used to using it, although even though its hot unless your lo is really hot i wouldnt worry too much if he isnt taking any, he doesnt need it unless hes really hot but then you can put him in less clothes etc to keep him cool. just take it slowly with the keeping on trying :)

6. tristansmum

tristansmum Well-Known Member

i started by giving diluted baby juice as he didn't want water. then i basically made it more and more diluted until it was water! lol now he loves water. i started out giving it on a spoon and then into the tippy cup. it took time (a few weeks) but we got there in the end. i started doing this around 20 weeks. The best baby juice i found is HIPP organic. Its mineral water with a splash of juice-74% water... so if you dilute this with water then its just a little taste of flavour. if you use juice its recommended NOT to put it in bottle. otherwise i think plain water in a bottle is ok

7. Louppey

Louppey Mummy to 2 girls <3

I give mine to Coralie in a sippy cup, so she knows the difference between that and the bottle. Then I don't see the confused look come accross her face when she realises it's water :haha:

I also put a little gripe water in it, just to give it a familiar taste.