How do you be a parent when your ill :(

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by EllaAndLyla, Nov 19, 2011.

1. EllaAndLyla

EllaAndLyla Earth and Angel mummy!

I think I have a virus, my head is pounding and nose is completely blocked, it hurts to breath and my throat is sore right the way down to my boobs, I also have a horrendous cough which sometimes leaves me heaving afterwards. I am so scared to touch Lyla, I don't want her to be ill like this :( but it's so hard when I have to feed her, bath her, play with her etc..

Any experience with viruses/illness and baby not getting ill? xx

2. NewMummyx

NewMummyx mummy to 1 and WTT

i had the flu 2 weeks ago and LO thankfully didnt catch it, but i felt like id been hit with a bus :nope: i went to my mums lol!

3. sarahchops86

sarahchops86 lexie and logan's mummy

I have been properly ill several times since my dd was born and she hasn't caught anything! I even had a streaming head cold and sneezed (accidently!) right in both of my children's faces :/. Just muddle through the best you can, if you are lucky enough maybe you could get a friend or family member to take her out for a few hours and get youself a bath and a nap, otherwise just have a quiet day on the couch and try and get plenty of fluids into you maybe even see if you can get some cold and flu tablets? hope you feel better soon

4. Cat_pj

Cat_pj Well-Known Member

When I had mastitis 5 months ago I felt like death....called my mum and she came round!

5. pandacub

pandacub Proud mummy to Jacob

Ahh i sympathise! Last week, i ad a horrendus stomach bug, throwing up every 30 mins and couldnt move without feeling like someone was stabbing me.
    I was too weak to pick him up or play.. I babyproofed the living room, dumped his toys on the floor and lay on the sofa, occasionally reading him a story.
    Had no-one to come and help til the evening & it was without a doubt, the worst day ive had.since he was
    born!
    Do whatever you can to get by, and draft in people to help if you can. Hope you feel better soon!

6. fidget

fidget Pregnant Mama Bear

see if you can get somebody to help and forget the housework! me and lo had a horrible viral thing last week, i was really ill for about three or four days, now i just have a sore throat, bit of a cough and a snotty nose and lo is fine so hopefully it doesn't last long for you!!

7. littleblonde

littleblonde kacey and sophie

its horrible isnt it. Both me and my toddler had a tummy bug when my youngest was 3 weeks old. had no one to help. Was awful. Who nos how i got it through it. but we did. My eldest gave me the tummy bug.Touch wood when i have been ill i have never passed it on to them x

8. HungryHippo

HungryHippo Domestic Engineer

Had an awful cold w/ sore throat last week when DH was out of town for work. Couldn't breathe so I didn't sleep well at night, either. Was sick and sleep deprived! Thankfully, LO was having a good run or I don't know how I would have managed.

9. starlight2801

starlight2801 Well-Known Member

It's horrendous isn't it. I have a virus that sounds similar to the OP and my DH is away on a boys weekend. I don't have any family local to me so I've been doing my best to combine lying on the sofa with short bursts of playing with her. I think I may have actually caught this from my LO so not worried about her catching it at least x

10. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

If im feeling that bad i ship her of to my mother till OH is back from work. Iv had colds and just felt ill a few times and OH hasent got it.

11. petra_isis

petra_isis Active Member

just take care to clean things like dishes etc. very carefully.
    wish you a good recovery :)