How do you explain to a 3yo to be careful of belly?

meggabear

Mommy, daddy and Caiden
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Well, I've been having a little trouble with my DS and his knees and elbows lately. He isn't rough by nature by as of late he is just about always aiming for my belly with excessive climbing or kicking, something he hasn't done before. I've told him to be careful and that there is a baby in there, but he hasn't grasped the concept nor has showing him the ultrasound of his future brother or sister helped.
anyone have suggestions how to help him understand he can;t be doing that to me? I've scolded him about it, but he just giggles and runs off :wacko: I love my little guy but I worry for my littlest one. any suggestions?

Same problem here if not worse, trying to explain to my 15 month old to beware of my belly, especially when she's bouncing all over me, we also co-sleep so her flailing arms and legs don't help when she's sleeping!

At the mo whenever she's kinda rough around my belly I just put her down or move her away, I'll be stalking to see if you get a more helpful answer :haha:

I hear you! I co slept as well and boy do they get you with some doozie kicks :wacko:

My son is 25 months and I still can't get him to understand either, I swear since becoming pregnant he's become more rough. Idk what to do... :(

My son is 25 months and I still can't get him to understand either, I swear since becoming pregnant he's become more rough. Idk what to do... :(

I completely sympathize with you, so far I haven't seen any other suggestions, but I'm thinking the only way is for DH to do most of his play and handeling while I sit up high where he cannot climb up or sit opposite of him with the belly facing away from him with arms guarding it for now :/

After you bath, why don't you ask your LO in to rub special bump cream on mom's belly to help with the baby? If the child had a meaningful way to experience empathy/ care for you it might help with being protective over that area in other moments during the day. Also witnessing DH putting oil/cream on it. If it doesn't work, well, you'll avoid stretch marks anyway!!

I have a 4 an 2 year old and I was having the same issue. I took them to a friends house who just had a baby and showed my kids how special and delicate the baby was and 'nice' touch, then I explained that Mommy has a baby in her belly that needs 'nice' touch. They were empathetic and undstood no owies for mommy or baby in my belly.
I haven't had anymore toddler elbows or knees in my belly and when they accidentally do it, they are extremely remorseful for not being gentle with the baby and giving baby an owie. They are actually becoming protective of my growing belly and told my hubby he was 'naughty Dada' when he was blowing raspberries on my belly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->