How do you know when to change?

Scampie

Mummy to Sam and Finn!
Reaction score
Ok so this probably sounds dumb, but how do you know when to change a cloth nappy?

you tend to know just how long each one can go. If you change it and it is soaking, you will maybe change it sooner next time. If you change it and its still got lots of absorbancy left, you know it an go longer. Unless of course baby poos, then you change it straight away. I tend to change every 2-3 hours or so

Ah ok, so its a matter of trial and error :D Had noticed some last longer than others, but wasnt sure if there was some way of figuring it out without getting inside for a nosey x And theres no hope of sitting in poo in my house, lol. We soon know about that!

Thanks x

I agree with DM2, you soon get a handle on what your nappies will do.

General rule-of-thumb I've found for my baby (and my nappies!) is that 3 hours tends to be a good time to change. Sometimes an Issy bear will go longer, but tbh she's usually poo'd by then :haha:

As for knowing when she's poo'd... I either have to be there when she does it (believe me, you'd know, it's comical!), or I just give a periodic sniff :blush: I find that the nappies I use mask the smell really well (my LO has pretty much solid poos now). So unless I have her right up close for a sniff test, then I miss it! :blush:

Ive got to say i love the fact i dont smell horrible disposables anymore! Except in the morning. Getting my head round daytime fluff is highest priority before tackling nighttime, lol. He will scream blue murder the minute a number 2 arrives in town, so no hope of missing that even with a smell free nappy!

I go for 3 hours, and I know which nappies can't make it that long! Obviously is LO poos then I change him straight away.

Generally there's a poo before i really *need* to change Albert. But he does poo a lot :)

If he doesn't poo i do a quick feel test - a finger in the nappy and press against the liner - if it feels wet i change him, if it doesn't i give it another hour or so before changing.

Get some night boosters for your pop-ins, they work really well at night for us.

I usually get 3-4 hours out of all of mine but I struggle with poo as I find that with fluff it doesn't smell so if I'm not there when he does it he can be sat in it for a while. It's great that it doesn't smell but twice when I have changed him he has been quite red so now I keep checking down the back every so often.

We do a nappy change approx every 3 hours, some of our nappies will go longer than that but we don't push it!

We pretty much always know if he's done a poo as he has a really 'cartoon-bright-red-face-pooing-expression', although occasionally he will quietly do one and it's not until we get up close and sniff or until we go to change him later and find a very squashed looking poo that we realise!

Generally there's a poo before i really *need* to change Albert. But he does poo a lot :)

If he doesn't poo i do a quick feel test - a finger in the nappy and press against the liner - if it feels wet i change him, if it doesn't i give it another hour or so before changing.

Get some night boosters for your pop-ins, they work really well at night for us.

Are those different to the regular boosters they come with?

It's more square and folds round the smaller booster and pops together. Makes the nappy quite bulky but it doesn't seem to bother A coz he's just laying down!

Ah right. So theres 3 layers all together? Im quite suprised, my ebay cheapies seem to do better than the tots bots. He had the tots bots on for 2 hours today and seemed really quite wet. It had started soaking up to the waist band poor lil fella. Havent received the pop ins yet, but i cant wait x. Its suprising how addictive this fluff is! We had our first whole day of fluff today, i feel so proud!

They will get soaked all the way through as they're fitteds :) it's why a fleece liner is really good.

It ends up being more like 5 layers as you have both the normal inserts and then the night one folded into 3. I get 12 hours with no leaks and A is quite a heavy wetter.

Ive put a fleece liner in, but i think maybe it would be better if i made it double thickness and lobger. I just made it the same size as the liner bit which is attatched. I think if i make it go all the way round so its almost sticking out back and front, maybe tht would be better?

12 hours...He sleeps that long??? Lol. I still have Finn on disposables at night and skip the 3am change but do him at 5ish. So he goes 8 till 5 in a tesco nappy! Pampers wouldnt get close to that, lol. Ill get my pop ins, then you can teach me about night liners, lol. 1 step at a time! If i bulked his Ebay cheapies out anymore he wouldnt be able to sleep without a crook in his back x

He doesn't sleep that long but we co sleep so he can feed without waking up properly. Don't want to then wake him by changing him.

Yeah, try some bigger liners to keep his bum dry :)

Yeh Finn does the same thing at his 3-4 feed. His cot has the sliding rail taken off, and its pushed up against my bed so its like a bed extension, but i cant push covers over him as my clumsy self no doubt would do otherwise, lol. He grumbles n i run to the fridge for bottles, lol. Shame the fridge isnt as close as a boob. Still wish i tried to breastfeed, but was far to late when i decided that. He is normally stilol only grumbling when he gets his bottle, so dont wanna wake him fully x

Ive got a massive bit of fleece which used to be absolutely huge. Its been cut into 5 pieces of fleece, which i use when he has nappy off time. He lays on it on his mat:D Loads of it i can chop up so i shall be chopping tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->