how do you make your bottles uk?

laura109

Reaction score
Hi well im a ftm and the rules in the last couple of years have been a bottle cant be made up for more than two hours.

so if your going for a day out or for the night feeds what are you ladies doing?

Ive got a tomme tippee bottle warmer i wanted to use to reheat the water to luke warm then i wanted to put the milk in. But you need that hot shot to kill any bacteria in the formula?

Im so confused. I thought to make life easier in the mornings i could pour the hot water into the bottles for the day. Meassure the powder into the dispensing pots and when baby us hungry put bottle to warm up in bottle warmer and its perfect temp.

If this is abit risky then i can do them fresh at home and use ready to drink cartons whilst out. But i know there expensive to use all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated. Im 17 weeks but i want to learn. Ill be using cow and gate i should think.

thank you xx

I fill a thermos when I wake up with boiling water and a flask that will cool down then do 2 ounces of hot water add the formula and top up with 3 of cold. When she was smaller we did 1oz hot and 1 oz cold.

To be honest I don't follow the rules when I'm out and about and use cold water to mix the formula and a dispenser tub LO has never had a bad tummy so far.

Thanks hun did u do that from birth x

We did. When she was about 3 weeks old we had the first heat wave of the summer too and she was boiling so we were making her bottles up with cooled boiled water at home too.

When my lo was having night feeds i used the ready made cartons although my hv said i could make up the bottle for the next feed with boiling water then rapidly cool it and store it at the back of the fridge. I did it a couple of times but tbh i found it easier to use the ready made cartons. During the day i made up bottles as i was going but it was a nightmare trying to cool it quick enough as when lo decided he wanted fed, he wanted it now and not in 15 minutes! I ended doing the same as the pp, using part boiled water, added the formula then topped up with cooled boiled water. When we were out and about i either took 2 flasks, one with hot water and one with cold then the formula measured out but that was a bit of a hassle so ended up just using the ready made cartons most of the time.

Has anything actually changed in the milk for them to do this. All kids fed before this are fine x

No it's a change in government guidelines so you'll find that different countries have different instructions for the same product.

The formula is not sterile and as it's a dairy product there is the possibility of a bacteria being present that could cause bad stomach problems. The hot water is to kill the bacteria as is sterilising the bottles.

In the US they are not advised to sterilise and can yet tap water not cooled boiled water.

I'm naughty and pre make all of my bottles. I boil the kettle and leave to cool for 20mins then fill bottles with required amount of water and powder then I rapid cool in a sink of cold water for 10mins before popping on the top shelf at the back of the fridge.

When going out I either take cartons or an insulted bag with ice cubes to keep it cold and take my flask to warm up.

X

I premake all of my formula when I am at home and keep in the fridge. I have a bottle warmer that I use to heat them back up.

When we are out I take a thermos of boiled water and make up the bottles from that.

However, when he is 3 months old I am thinking of just making them on demand with a little bit of warmed water.

I just don't understand the sterilizing bit. Formula is formula, it doesn't matter in the US or UK so I have erred on the side of caution by sterilizing and using boiled water. But he is getting bigger so I am hoping it is okay to stop that soon as it has been a hassle going back to work.

I agree the government has gone too far as usual. Making things hard. Every baby who bas had there bottles made up all day is fine xx

I pre make all my bottles and put them in the fridge. If were going out for the day i either take a flask of hot water or ready made carton depending on how long we will be out.

I have a perfect prep machine that I use at home and when out I use a flask for hot water and do 2oz hot water then top up with filtered water from the bottle maker x

I have the perfect prep. When I'm out I buy the pre made bottles in tesco and warm them in water. My friends pre make and do the cool boiled water. I'm a weirdo when it comes to rules. Me however I'd eat out of a dirty welly.

I have the perfect prep for indoors, and I use cartons when out and about xx

I pre-made all of DD's bottles and warmed as we went. Will be doing the same with DS.

Same here. I pre-make and store in the fridge. Conveniently my LO prefers them cold so will drink them straight out the fridge.

If I'm travelling somewhere where there's a fridge at the other end I transport them in a little bottle size cool bag. If I'm going to be out for longer I'll use the ready made stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->