• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

how do you "play" with your infant?

babymama

Mom to Phoenix
Reaction score
Hi ladies! Just wondering what you did/do to "play" with your newborn. When Phoenix is awake I try to think of some ways to entertain him so he's not always just lying there staring at the ceiling, but he's only 2 weeks so I keep thinking, what can I do? I cuddle him, sway, talk to him, make funny faces. Any other suggestions?

Could always get some of those black and white books and look at them
Sing to him
Can't think of anything else right now but TBH at 2 weeks talking and cuddling sounds just fine to me!

I just talked alot to my lo when she was that little. They can only see about 18 inches right now, so you can't really do much for them visually.

Umm around then I guess I really just talked to Elyse... I found the more expressive I was the more she was interested? And I read to her..

Now I put her on her playmat or in her bouncy chair and she likes looking at her toys, if I dangle the ones that make noise in front of her she's curious but she can't figure out to bat at them yet or anything.. just sort of looks at them, sometimes she follows them if I move them around.

Two fun games to play with your 2 week old baby:

What a sensation
There's a reason newborns reach out and grab for things: They want to be active participants in their world. It's not enough for you to show her things — your baby wants to experience everything up close and personal, and she does that through all five senses, particularly the sense of touch. Encourage her curiosity and tactile talents with this soothing touch-fest.

Skills developed: hand-eye coordination, touch sensitivity
What you'll need: a variety of soft-textured items, such as a silk scarf, a clean feather duster or boa, a piece of satin or velvet, and something furry like a stuffed animal.
Collect an assortment of soft, touchable household objects. With your baby lying on her back on a blanket or on the changing table, take off her shirt, and give her tummy a sampling of the different textures. One at a time, brush each item ever so gently across her skin, describing the sensation as you go. "Feel the silky scarf? It's very slippery. Feel the lamb? It's fuzzy, isn't it?" If she tries to grab the items, go ahead and let her hold them, or (if you're sure they're clean and don't pose a choking risk) even put them in her mouth.

Gentle Rubdown
It's never too soon to give a baby his first brush with the healing power of human contact. Your baby was born with a fully developed sense of touch, and it's one of the primary ways he experiences the outside world.

Skills developed: sensory stimulation
What you'll need: some nice-smelling massage oil such as sweet almond oil, or plain vegetable oil Let your baby roll around naked on a layer of cloth nappies or a bath towel (if it's cool in the room, leave his T-shirt on). Warm a tiny squirt of oil in your hands by rubbing it between your palms, then very gently rub it into his skin, starting with his soft little feet. Rotate each toe, then use your thumbs to press the soles. Work your way up the legs, squeezing his calves and thighs gently as if you were molding clay. (The first few times it's probably best just to do his feet and legs until he gets used to the sensation.) For the chest and tummy, gently place both hands flat against the centre of your baby's body, then spread them to the sides, as if flattening the pages of a book. With your hands still flat, use your fingertips to stroke outward in small circles. Keep rubbing for as long as he seems to be enjoying it; stop as soon as he starts to get restless.

i use to, well still do sing nursery rhymes, or read him stories. xx

Caine loves his legs and feet massaged!

Oh and this may sound bad but he loves it in the bouncer in front of TV with the noises and bright colours, I started that yesterday.... or facing tha patio window looking outside at the brightness.

I cant wait till he is older so I can really play with him and he can giggle etc :cloud9:

I did all sorts of things and still do. Sing silly songs, chat to him, show him stuff, read him books, play guitar for him, take him on a guided tour of the house (this is his favorite but harder to do now he weighs so much) show him toys, do little massage and stretches etc etc...

but, it really is ok - and infact healthy for them to have some what I call 'veg out' time where they just sit and stare around and daydream etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"