How does your prem baby grow?

keldac

3 mc, 1 angel and 3 lc
Reaction score
Firstly I will say nobody is concerned about Mikaylas growth apart from me!

Mikayla is now 5 months old (goes so fast!) and she weighs 10lb 12oz. She was 4lb born and very poorly so didn't gain for a month. She grows steadily between the 2nd and 9th centile (backplotted 7 weeks for her prematurity)

I just wondered how this compared to your prem babies growth?

Brooke was 5 months on Wednesday, she was 2lb 4oz at birth and now weighs 8lb 12oz.

She is underneath the bottomest percentile (0.4th I think?) but making her own line across the bottom. She generally gains around 4-6oz a week.

Well done little Mikayla-sounds like you're coming along nicely!! x

thank you! Our daughters share the same birthday don't they! 1st Feb! I remember our stories so well :hugs:
Makes me feel better they are growing similar and she isn't just getting left behind!

Findlay was 5lb 7 at birth and at 9 1/2 weeks weighs 6lbs. He's now on high calorie powder added to his EBM to try and get him putting weight on and I'm on a milk free trial as dietician is wondering if it could be a milk allergy :dohh:

thank you! Our daughters share the same birthday don't they! 1st Feb! I remember our stories so well :hugs:
Makes me feel better they are growing similar and she isn't just getting left behind!

Nearly-Brooke was born January 30th. :cloud9:

I know what you mean about worrying they're being left behind-its really pressing on my mind at the moment, what with her growth, weight gain, milestones etc. . .

She sounds lke she's doing fab though, and like I am I hope you try not to worry too much about her!! xx

I do worry about her milestones at the minute too! I want her to so more than she does - but most mums do don't they? I know I shouldn't wish her life away though.

Not born same day - but I think we were due same day (as well as embojet!) can't believe how fast the year has gone!

I do worry about her milestones at the minute too! I want her to so more than she does - but most mums do don't they? I know I shouldn't wish her life away though.

Not born same day - but I think we were due same day (as well as embojet!) can't believe how fast the year has gone!

ohhhhhhhh I can so relate to this!!

A friend of mine had a baby girl-Cleo-the week after our due dates. I went to see her last Friday and Cleo had caught up with Brooke with her milestones and was just overtaking her, too.

Ill openly admit I was taken aback and very dissapointed. . .not because I want Brooke to do more than she is ready for-Im so proud of my little fighter! but because it suddenly hit me how different she is to other babies. :dohh:

Like I said though, I got a grip and turned it around-our daughters have fought against the odds to be here and stay well. Brooke has just been diagnosed with a heart murmur and pneumathroax :cry: so she is still fighting.
Im so proud of her i could burst-so SOD the milestones!!! :cloud9:

How is Mikayla doing with her milestones? xx

Mikayla is doing what she shoudl for a 3 month old - not a lot!!! She still sleeps about 16 hour a day. She smiles and laughs a lot which is fab and holds her head perfectly. This week she has learnt to roll on to one side which is great.

She isn't starting to sit up and can't grasp at a rattle and hates tummy time! Not sure how this comparesto other prems though. I think thats the hard thing - we don't really have anything to compare them to!

I think thats the hard thing - we don't really have anything to compare them to!

I use this as a positive.

Surely one thing our babies have taught us so far is, they are going to do, what they are going to do, when they are good and ready?

As long as she puts on weight as she should be, and is healthy, I'm not fussed when she sits up or rolls over compared to others. It has been a worrying time just to get her here, we're now relaxing and enjoying her for the time being, she'll be sure to catch up eventually!

Archie was 2lb 6oz when born and at 21 weeks actual 8 weeks corrected, he is 12lbs.

Try not to compare your baby with others....Our little ones will hit their milestones when they want to. I used to beat myself up comparing Archie with other prems in the hospital. It used to get me so down. Every baby is different - even full terms ones. I know two full term little boys, one walked at 9 months the other at 16 months.

Don't beat yourself up, enjoy your little one as they are so precious.
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Molly was 2lb 4oz born and at 5 months was 10lb 7oz. She had a sudden spurt between 4 and 5 months, as in this time she went from just milk to 3 meals a day. I am getting her weighed again tomorrow so will update then. I know what you mean about the milestones. Molly is getting more 'chatty' smiley and alert by the day, but not actualy doing anything new IYKWIM? They will get there :hugs:

My twins were 4lbs13oz and 5lbs6oz,and at nearly 13 weeks (9 corrected) they are both around the 11lbs5oz mark.
I don't know their length,but they wear 3 month clothing,and Tara who was always growing better in the womb,is a few centimeters longer and fills her clothes better.

Got Molly weighed today, 12lb exactly.

I went to get Mikayla weighed and clinic was closed! AAARHHHH!!

Findlay will be 11 weeks old (6 weeks corrected) on Monday and was weighed yesterday in the day case unit and weighed 6lb 3 (2.5oz increase from previous week) so they've readmitted him :cry::cry: He drinks around 480ml a day of fortified EBM so noone knows why he's not piling the weight on.

Findlay will be 11 weeks old (6 weeks corrected) on Monday and was weighed yesterday in the day case unit and weighed 6lb 3 (2.5oz increase from previous week) so they've readmitted him :cry::cry: He drinks around 480ml a day of fortified EBM so noone knows why he's not piling the weight on.

oh hun sorry he's been admitted :hugs:
Keep us posted how he is :hug:

Evie was born at 36 weeks weighing 3lb 12oz and is 12lb 1oz at 6 months, havent had her weighed for couple of weeks. She is still very small compared to other babies her age, and to all my other babies at her age, but she is growing, just at her own pace, and the health visitors seem happy with her growth. Hoping that when she starts solids she will gain a bit more though. xx

Sofia wasn't prem exactly, she was induced at 37 weeks because she needed bowel surgery. She weighed 2.3kg (5.1lbs) but then lost about a pound due to infection.
She's now 11 weeks old and weighed 3.71kg (8.2lbs) last Friday. She's been gaining weight well but is still below the percentile chart thingy - which I pay no attention to!

People still come up to me and say "oh, a newborn!" and then see her holding her head up and looking around - yeah, I have a super baby ;)

Congratulations on all your beautiful babies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->