How early is TOO early for HB?

Ju_bubbs

Proud single Mummy of 5!
Reaction score
Obviously I know 37 weeks is usually the cut off for HB, but due to my labouring history, last time I went in for monitoring at at 36wks coz I thought my waters were leaking (they weren't) and the machine picked up that I was contracting, tho I couldn't feel it.. when I saw my midwife a few days later, she said if I went into labour now, she would be happy to support a HB still due to my history.

My labours have got earlier and quicker each time..

1st 39+5 - 5 hours - hospital birth

2nd 39+2 - 3 hours - hospital birth

3rd - 38+2 - 25 minutes - hospital birth, JUST. Left home after my 1st contraction as it was VERY strong and VERY long, drove to the hospital at 100+mph through traffic lights (luckily it was 3am lol) and he was crowning as I arrived.

4th - 37+5 - 15 minutes - planned HB, midwife didn't even make it in time, and I'd have NEVER made it to hospital, even in an ambulance with flashy lights.

So, I'm expecting my midwife to 'ok' a HB again even if I go a bit before 37 weeks, as she say's birthing at home - whether it be with a midwife present or a paramedic team from an ambulance - it will be safer than birthing in the car half way to hospital!

I'm just a little worried about how early, is too early? Last time it was on my notes in big red capital writing that I'm expected to labour VERY fast, and that a midwife should get here the second I call.. she was only 8 miles away in the next town when I called her, and she'd phoned an ambulance to come to me just incase she didn't get here on time, so I'd atleast have a paramedic here - but even the ambulance didn't get here before LO!!!

In my situation, how early would everyone be happy to birth at home? (assuming you've had a problem free pregnancy etc)

I had decided with my mw that 36wks was the earliest for me. Apparently the difficulties 36 weekers tend to have when they have any are with temperature regulation and sucking which can both be better dealt with at home anyway. Before 36 wks I'd be concerned about breathing difficulties.

Yeah I'm concerned about breathing! My babies tend to be on the smaller side even after 37 wks, so I'd be worried before 37wks! so far they have been..

6lb
6lb 11oz
5lb 9oz
5lb 12oz

ETA I am planning on educating myself on all sorts of problems that COULD occur anyway, incase the midwife doesn't make it again. But I'm not sure how confident I would be on resus or anything, especially before 37 wks!

i was born at 36 week at 5lbs and didnt really have any problems so that would be the earliest id be happy to birth at home. but saying that it doesnt sound like ud have much choice even if u went into labour before 36 weeks anyway.

my mw just got here on time, she took an hour even tho she was 10 mins up the road the cow lol

i was born at 36 weeks so that would be the earliest id be happy to birth at home. but saying that it doesnt sound like ud have much choice even if u went into labour before 36 weeks anyway.

my mw just got here on time, she took an hour even tho she was 10 mins up the road the cow lol

Good point! I'm not sure I would have much choice.. I'd either have to wait for an ambulance to arrive, or call my mum, who would have to travel 6 miles through back roads - which during the day are packed with tractors!! lol :dohh: then hospital (at a safe speed) is 30 minutes away at night, and anywhere up to an hour and a half away in the day time, depending on the time of day!

LOL@your midwife! Did she walk!?!?

god knows what the silly cow was doing lol it was 3am so no traffic. my mum almost delievered corey as he was crowing 5 mins before mw got here so i just had to breathe lol
my doula didnt even get here so that was money very much wasted! oh well

i think other then u living at hospital from 34 weeks onwards u will be having ur lo at home and hopefuly the mw gets there in time

I was told 37+ weeks. They go on call from 38 weeks but if you go into labour at 37+4, they'll probably not have any issues with it.

Your babies are good weights for their gestations :shrug: Amelie was 6lb4 at 39+1 and no one mentioned her size.

I was told 37+ weeks. They go on call from 38 weeks but if you go into labour at 37+4, they'll probably not have any issues with it.

Your babies are good weights for their gestations :shrug: Amelie was 6lb4 at 39+1 and no one mentioned her size.

Its not the midwives with the issues - its me! lol They're happy for me to go before 37wks, I'm just not sure on it!

I guess I'm just comparing their weights to other babies - no one has ever said they are 'too' small, I just worry about everything!! :haha:

lol i have the opposite problem im more likely to go post dates lol

mine go on call from 37 weeks but from now if i were to go into labour i would have a hb

star jumps! ;) lol

mine go on call from 37 weeks but from now if i were to go into labour i would have a hb

Can I ask why sam3? The other ladies who said 36 weeks already gave their reasons, so just wondering what has helped you decide 36 would be ok!

From your delivery history it sounds like you don't have a choice either way! Seems like its a case of have baby at home, await midwife and have midwife assess baby and see if your baby actually needs to go in or not.

star jumps! ;) lol

would be nice if i could and if it worked lol but with PGP theres no chance i have currently a decent range of motion but i know if its anything like last time i'll be down to about 20cm gap between my knees around full term

I have no idea what PGP is, but it doesn't sound like its very nice! I hope it isn't as bad for you this time!

As the other ladies have said, I'm not sure you'll have a choice but to birth at home.. I understand your c
oncerns but short of camping outside the hospital I'm not sure there's anything you can do? Apart from phoning an ambulance and your MW the second you go into labour.

In my area you can have a HB from 37 weeks but I'm not sure how early they'd be classed as 'unsafe.' Have you spoken to your midwife about it?

As the other ladies have said, I'm not sure you'll have a choice but to birth at home.. I understand your c
oncerns but short of camping outside the hospital I'm not sure there's anything you can do? Apart from phoning an ambulance and your MW the second you go into labour.

In my area you can have a HB from 37 weeks but I'm not sure how early they'd be classed as 'unsafe.' Have you spoken to your midwife about it?

Not this time round, no! I will do a bit nearer the time. Last time she was happy for me to go for HB at 36+2, so I'm assuming she will 'ok' it early again this time round!

I'm sure they woudln't if it was THAT risky, I just like to be clued up on these things instead of relying on what the midwife thinks if you get me!

37 weeks is the cutoff for a HB here, but my MW would go a day or 2 on the 36 side (36+5). My son was born at 35+6 and I don't know how comfortable I would be with a preterm baby at home - even if it is a later preterm. My LO needed 3 days in hospital so you never really know - but the great thing about late preemies is their issues are usually resolved pretty quickly and they can go home within a few days. So I'll feel much better if I can reach that 37 week mark!

My MW also wants me to prepare for a quick birth as my first was pretty fast.
But if there was a good chance I would give birth in 15min, I wouldn't risk the drive to hospital even if LO was a bit early! xx

Well they 'officially' go on call for HB here from 37 weeks but if i go into labour this week i'd be reluctant to go into hospital for the sake of what is essentially a few days iykwim?

My answer may not be 'relevant' in some ways though as i'm a nurse on a neonatal unit so i guess i'd feel more comfortable than most with the idea of having what is technically a 'preterm' baby at home. I think in my own situation i'd say from 36 weeks onwards. If i were in your situation- it's hard to say. I'd rather have a 35 weeker at home than in the back of a car iykwim?

It's a tricky one.

Fingers crossed you'll make it to 37 weeks and it won't be an issue :hugs:

I'm keeping everything crossed.. especially my legs til week 37!! :haha:

hey ladies i asked at my last appt and my mw told me that its 38 weeks for the cut off for hb here, which i id think was late as i thought it would be 37w but was told if im before 38 weeks will have to go into hospital x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->