How good/useful are antenatal classes from NHS?

Alyssa Drough

Reaction score
I'm a FTM and booked my classes today. Got 2 evening sessions that last 2 hours each. I plan on taking my husband and my main goal is to befriend some other mums to be in my local area as all my friends with babies or who are pregnant live further away.

Are these classes any good?

I only went to 2 sessions too.

First was all about birth and pain relief and tbh it was dull as dish water! I think it was the midwife that lead the class had next to no personality, but also I didn't really learn much I hadn't researched or found out from this forum.

Second session was much better, it was all about coming home and practical tips. Was run by a different midwife who was much more enthusiastic.

My DH went to both sessions, as did all the other partners. There may have been parts they found boring or useful, but I think it's important for them to be aware of what's coming and mentally prepare for what we ladies have to go through!

There were no relaxation techniques or breathing exercises, just sitting in a group asking questions.

we have up to 5 sessions you can book onto as a first time mum, I did 3 of them when pregnant with LO, breastfeeding, and the two week birth and pain sessions, the quality varied depending which midwives where running them.

The breast feeding one was fab, we got to play with knitted boobs :)

There was also breathing and relaxation and another one I can't remember...

Partners where actively encouraged to attend them all, as 'you are in it together and ideally he should know what you will be going through'.

They offered the same ones this time around, as well as a single night refresher for 2nd pregnancies..

I think it depends on your local NHS

In my area you get three sessions. The first was about what is going to happen in the last tri and preparing for labour. The second was about labour, pain relief and breast feeding and the last was visiting the labour ward.

I was a little disappointed that it was very school like and the mums to be didn't really interact. The midwife stood at the front of the room, gave us all the info and then when it was done, everyone left.

I hope yours is better social wise but it was good information I got x

I just had a 1 day class. The morning just went through the types of pain relief and how to keep active - personally pretty useless. However they did go through the hospitals specific procedures ie how long they will let u go over, how long after ur waters break until they induce, critera for water birth - as the two hospitals near me are run by different trusts they differ quite dramtically so this was helpful.

the afternoon was about breastfeeding and semi helpful.

tbh it was just a day so even tho not hugely helpful it wasnt awful.

I think it really depends on your NHS trust area. I had 4 sessions in small groups covering pregnancy, birth and caring for baby. I thought they were great, they were ran by the health visitors with input from the midwives. One of the health visitors who ran the course is now my health visitor for post birth which is great as I have already met her etc.

Hey! I had four sessions lasting 2hrs each, I took my hubby & we both found them to be really good as we are expecting our first baby (alot of the info is common sense and things we already knew) but it was great to meet other expecting parents!
Topics were, baby safety, caring for a new baby, labour and delivery and baby feeding! Xx

Sounds ok then. I think they'll benefit my husband more cos I've done a LOT of reading about everything. We're only doing a labour/delivery class and a newborn care class. The breastfeeding class I have to book separately and our hospital doesn't do tours.

Thanks for all your help ladies!

My one afternoon was better than 10 weeks of NCT. Lol

We went to two 2 hour sessions and I found them useful, my husband was scared useless after them tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->