How long after a sweep?

Breeelizabeth

Reaction score
Hey ladies, my OB agreed to give me a sweep today and he said he was easily able to stretch to 3cm. Since then I've been losing plug, losing clots of blood (is that a show?) and bleeding which I know is normal. I was wondering if you ladies have much experience with stretch and sweeps and how long after you had one you went into labour.
If I don't go into labour naturally he'll induce me on Monday because my BP is going up.
Ahh! So excited!

I had a sweep when I was 2cm and it caused contractions for probably a good two days. They ended up fading away and a week after the first sweep I had another, at that time I was 3cm. My doctor told me that if that time it brought on contractions again to go to the hospital the following day, well it did bring on contractions but they were irregular. I went to the hospital anyways and while I was waiting to be seen I had my first strong contraction and labor pretty much began right there! Got checked, 4cm, another sweep was done while I got checked, and I was admitted

I think if the sweep worked it can take 24-48 hrs. Blood after a sweep is normal but doesnt necessarily mean things are starting. But it could still mean they will!

Had a sweep monday 2-3 cm contractions started 9pm weds baby born 11.37 am Thursday. Good luck xxx

If it's going to work they work within 48 hours. They don't bother before 40 weeks here and success rates are very very low before 41 weeks.

I'd be asking what the evidence of risk is to you and baby because of your blood pressure and weighing up if that outweighs risk of induction. Funnily enough my friend and I were chatting about this exact thing last night. She was induced fit high blood pressure and is convinced baby wasn't ready to come. She didn't progress as nothing was ready to go... She says next time she'd question it a lot more!

I definitely just had my show (to be honest I thought i would think it was something else, but there is no doubt what this was). Hopefully little miss is on her way!

Yeah 48hours is the window.

In my first pregnancy I had one at 41+1 and the only reason I hadn‘t gone into labour was because he was back to back so couldn‘t hit the cervix properly so that was really effective and I was in labour about 14hrs later.

Second pregnancy I was in early labour at 38weeks and had to have a swab to check if my waters had gone and while they did that they did a stretch and stuff I think, and I had her 36hrs later but obviously I was already kind of gearing up.

This time I had a sweep at 37+6 which she said she did but the next midwife said she couldn‘t have because my cervix was too long. So I had a failed sweep at 38+3, then I had another sweep at 39+3 and that was successful and I had cramps and lost lots of plug and stuff and then I was having contractions 15hours later that then died out because he was side on and couldn‘t descend, then I had another sweep during an exam 24hrs after that one, and then had him 36hrs later.

It depends on what‘s already going on with your body basically. This baby was side on then turned back to back during early labour (which lasted 2-3 days) so the sweep worked in that he was ready to come but couldn‘t hit my cervix, just like my first. If your body is nowhere near ready then they won‘t even be able to perform a sweep as your cervix will be too long and too far back.

Fingers crossed the show means things are happening :D

I had my sweep on a Wednesday at 5pm and was 2/3cm and went into labour on Thursday night! They can take up 48 hours to work!

i got a sweep with DD 1 and it only gave me mild cramp and a little light bleed, then cramps faded ended up induced, laboured for 16 hours ended up with emergency csection ... But with DD 2 just 2 weeks ago, i was given another sweep, on the 11th Dec & my doc struggled to stretch me to even a 1 & had me booked in for induction on the thursday 18th Dec, well come the morning of the 13th of Dec, i knew i was having a baby very soon and was having strong regular contractions by 12pm & i had my VBAC baby at 1.06pm on the 14th Dec, sharing a birthday with her big sister!xo

sooooo lol basically, sweeps can work is what im saying, but not always it just depends on your body i think, i hope it works for you & you meet your LO soon <3
Good Luck hun xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"